Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Motel Signs - Tampa Area

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Old Motel Signs - Tampa Area

Any recos for areas to go for old, retro motel signs and Googie architecture in the Tampa Bay area? I'm actually visiting New Port Richey so north of Tampa is ok as well.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:53 pm

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
Since you're visiting New Port Richey (NPR), you're in luck! US-19 northward from the center of NPR has (ahem) quite a collection of older motels. As far their signs, "retro" doesn't do them justice...
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I've never driven north of NPR. My folks live in Trinity.

It's interesting to see all the little "bail bonds" buildings around there.

Do I need to be concerned about personal safety around those places on 19? This'll be during the day.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA,CO, DL,FL,WN.US
I wouldn't worry about safety on 19 except from the drivers (unless you take it through St. Pete where it can be unsafe......Most of the old motels are in bad shape and signs if any are few, you might try heading north toward Weeki Wachee and see the old Sinclair Station (Dinosaur shaped)last I saw it was a auto repair shop, can't miss it on the left as you are going north.
Drive the old roads around Tampa (US 41, US 92, US 301 etc) and you may see some but there really aren't, so many old buildings were torn down for "new" in the last 30 yrs.
The old Sunken Gardens signs for the St. Pete attraction(on 4th Street North, US 92 continuation of Gandy Bridge/Gandy Blvd) are mostly gone but there are a few left on US 41 north of Tampa toward Williston and points northward. Get off 19 and take the old highways and you may find something interesting.Brooksville, Dade City, is close and go to the old downtown areas, not the "new" areas near 19. or "just" off I-75.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.