Wiki Posts
Search

Trip to Bolivia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2008, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Trip to Bolivia

I'm going to be going to Bolivia for about a week in November. Most of my time will be spent in La Paz and in the Uyuni Salt Flats.

From what I can tell, I'm up to day on all of my vacinations and in an area where there isn't any malaria risk so I wasn't planning on taking any antimalaria medications.

I have my standard travel kit, with sunscreen, insect repellant, and basic first aid stuff (bandages, aspirin, Imodium a.d., Tylenol, an antibiotic, etc.).

What else should I make sure I take with me on this trip that would fall into the personal safety category?

It appears that I should only drink bottled water. Should I take a water filter with me for when I'm on the Salt Flats?
Old Sep 5, 2008, 10:01 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

To add on to the original post...

Compliments of the day everyone,

I as well, am planning to be in Bolivia for a few days by the end of September, and would like to know about a few things:

1) I have no prior experience with being in a high altitude location for an extended period of time, and would like to know your methods of acclimating to it; I'm not expecting a fool-proof answer, just some recommendations for someone who likes to hit the ground running.

2) What would the recommend tours/ways be to get between La Paz and the Uyuni salt flats? Cheapest and/or fastest options are fine, but I'd just like to clarify that the day I arrive in La Paz, it will be easy enough to arrange a tour there.

3) After the short trek in Bolivia, I plan to go to Lake Titicaca and from there, Peru, so what are the recommended manners to get from La Paz westwards?

Thanks in advance.

~TBS
Old Sep 6, 2008, 6:51 am

Programs: UAL Gold DL Silver Hilton GoldMarriott Gold
Originally Posted by Tad's Broiled Steaks
Compliments of the day everyone,

I as well, am planning to be in Bolivia for a few days by the end of September, and would like to know about a few things:

1) I have no prior experience with being in a high altitude location for an extended period of time, and would like to know your methods of acclimating to it; I'm not expecting a fool-proof answer, just some recommendations for someone who likes to hit the ground running.

2) What would the recommend tours/ways be to get between La Paz and the Uyuni salt flats? Cheapest and/or fastest options are fine, but I'd just like to clarify that the day I arrive in La Paz, it will be easy enough to arrange a tour there.

3) After the short trek in Bolivia, I plan to go to Lake Titicaca and from there, Peru, so what are the recommended manners to get from La Paz westwards?

Thanks in advance.

~TBS
To deal with high altitude follow these guidelines, but first of all DO NOT HIT THE GROUND RUNNING........

* drink lots of fluids to remain properly hydrated (at least 3-4 quarts per day). Urine output should be copious and clear.
* Take it easy; don't over-exert yourself when you first get up to altitude. Light activity during the day is better than sleeping because respiration decreases during sleep, exacerbating the symptoms.
* Avoid tobacco and alcohol and other depressant drugs including, barbiturates, tranquilizers, and sleeping pills. These depressants further decrease the respiratory drive during sleep resulting in a worsening of the symptoms.
* Eat a high carbohydrate diet (more than 70% of your calories from carbohydrates) while at altitude.
* The acclimatization process is inhibited by dehydration, over-exertion, and alcohol and other depressant drugs.

Medications

* Diamox (Acetazolamide) allows you to breathe faster so that you metabolize more oxygen, thereby minimizing the symptoms caused by poor oxygenation. This is especially helpful at night when respiratory drive is decreased. Since it takes a while for Diamox to have an effect, it is advisable to start taking it 24 hours before you go to altitude and continue for at least five days at higher altitude. The recommendation of the Himalayan Rescue Association Medical Clinic is 125 mg. twice a day (morning and night). (The standard dose was 250 mg., but their research showed no difference for most people with the lower dose, although some individuals may need 250 mg.) Possible side effects include tingling of the lips and finger tips, blurring of vision, and alteration of taste. These side effects may be reduced with the 125 mg. dose. Side effects subside when the drug is stopped. Contact your physician for a prescription. Since Diamox is a sulfonamide drug, people who are allergic to sulfa drugs should not take Diamox. Diamox has also been known to cause severe allergic reactions to people with no previous history of Diamox or sulfa allergies. Frank Hubbell of SOLO recommends a trial course of the drug before going to a remote location where a severe allergic reaction could prove difficult to treat.
* Dexamethasone (a steroid) is a prescription drug that decreases brain and other swelling reversing the effects of AMS. Dosage is typically 4 mg twice a day for a few days starting with the ascent. This prevents most symptoms of altitude illness. It should be used with caution and only on the advice of a physician because of possible serious side effects. It may be combined with Diamox. No other medications have been proven valuable for preventing AMS.

As for getting to the Salt Flats there are two ways via public transport
La Paz in bus to Oruro (3 hours), then train to Uyuni (6 hours) or a direct bus from La Paz to Oruro then on to Uyuni. Two good bus lines are Todo Tourist Bus and Panamerica Sur. Be sure and book your return in advance since the better buses tend to book up in advance.

La Paz to Lake Titicaca take the bus to Copacabana, Bolivia. The bus to Copacabana is one of the most entertaining journeys in South America, since it involves a water crossing – possibly your first encounter with Lake Titicaca – across the Strait of Tiquina to the peninsula on which Copacabana stands. At the shore, all the bus passengers are offloaded on to launches while the bus is floated across on a precarious-looking low wooden barge, one of which is named Titanic. And from there you can for a dollar or so, a taxi will take you the few kilometres from Copacabana to the Peruvian border. And then on to Puno, Peru,

Hope this helps

Sam
Old Sep 7, 2008, 3:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Smile

Bolivia is my favorite country to travel in S.America. The train from Oruro to Uyuni did not run daily when I was there 2003. Lots can change of course in 5 yrs. I would try to take the train b/c it is so much more fun and comfortable. The train actually continues southward into Argentina. Getting info on trains sked is difficult I find b/c it is not used as widely. Also getting info on bus skeds for the next town is just as hard so forget about planning too far ahead. Buses run frequently from LaPaz out of the central bus station and you just walk up to the counters of all the bus companies and ask about sked and price. As a tourist I didn't find I have been taken advantage off buying bus tickets. There are direct buses (9-10 hrs) that you pay more for but will take you from LaPaz to Cuzco and they wait for you at the border and you pass by Lake Titicaca. I did the cheap way and went to Copacabana first which is about 3 hrs away, and took a ferry out onto Isla Del Sol and spent a few days on the island. That was magical. It was so quiet and to watch the sunset on the island was truely an amazing experience. From Copacabana as other poster suggested you can take a taxi to the border. After I crossed the border, I was stopped on the Peruvian side and was "invited" to the police station for a search. Nothing found and nothing taken If your spanish is good you don't have to worry. My spanish wasn't good but I stayed calm even though I was freaking out inside. Bolivia has so much to offer and I loved travelling there. As for altitude sickness, the locals recommend drinking lots of tea made from Coca leaves and chewing them as well. You can get that pretty much everywhere.

Last edited by Sunny Day; Sep 7, 2008 at 4:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.