Sud America - no fumar!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2006, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)

Well it started in the US and Oz, crept its way across Europe and now the smoking ban is making headway in South America - led by Chile and Argentina. If anything the ban (barely 4 days old here in Argentina) is more draconian here, with most establishments (given the choice, based on the size of the place) are opting to turf us nasty smokers out on the street.

Airport lounges are particularly ill-prepared for the new era, so if you're a smoker and fancy a puff or ten before a long flight, you can forget it in Sao Paolo, Santiago, Buenos Aires... Though as a footnote, anyone travelling One World with lounge access will be gratified to learn that of all places the AAdmirals Club in SCL is the last vestige of filthy puffers.

Thought it'd take a few more years yet for South America to ban the weed...
Old Oct 5, 2006, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Smoking ban

The most radical ban on smoking happened a few month ago in Uruguay.
Smoking is prohibited anywere inside any comercial or public building regardless of the size or capacity. May be is due to the fact that the current President is an oncologist. Hope this great acction spreads to the whole world!
Old Oct 6, 2006, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by jmartinn
Hope this great acction spreads to the whole world!
From the perspective of a non-smoker...
Old Oct 6, 2006, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, PPL/IR
Does anyone know if Brasil more generally, ie not just airport lounges, has joined in this silliness?

Last edited by crowe; Oct 6, 2006 at 4:34 am
Old Oct 6, 2006, 4:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have a 2 hour stop in GRU after a 12 hour flight from LHR in December, does this mean I am prohibited from having a smoke anywhere in the airport?

Please let me know as I am beginning to bite my nails already!!
Old Oct 8, 2006, 6:17 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
The anti-tobacco law is being contested by various groups here in Argentina. Despite this, I dont think the courts of appeal will hear the cases. Enforcement has been very strict these first couple of days, time will tell if it continues this way.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
The anti-tobacco law is being contested by various groups here in Argentina. Despite this, I dont think the courts of appeal will hear the cases. Enforcement has been very strict these first couple of days, time will tell if it continues this way.
Interesting to hear, shame Argentine (and for that matter other South American authorities) couldn't come up with a slightly more balanced approach - even my old favourites like Pena and the Munich in Recoleta are now completely smoke-free. But agree with your comments Gaucho100K, the appeal will likely meet with as much success as the railway workers' demo I ran into on the way into downtown B.A. a couple of days ago.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA
free from smoke

It`s on the news that the reciently past city law is being contested by the undercovered tobbaco firms using bar owners to litigate. Exactly the same tactics used in other places in the world. Just by coincidence all law suits are being placed by attorneys of the same law firm...
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:56 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by virtualtroy
From the perspective of a non-smoker...
Who are in the majority
Old Oct 31, 2006, 3:55 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Enforcement of this law in Buenos Aires continues to be very strict. Smokers are fleeing to the Province where they are still allowed to smoke.

No news yet regarding the various legal challenges to the law.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 12:40 pm

This is great news. I hope the ban continues to spread worldwide!
Old Nov 4, 2006, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by muddy
This is great news. I hope the ban continues to spread worldwide!

I would prefer if governments around the world got the alcohol and drug problems sorted out first.

Last edited by HIDDY; Nov 4, 2006 at 8:39 am
Old Nov 4, 2006, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I would prefer if governments around the world got the alcohol and drug problems sorted out first.
And I would prefer if they got out of the small amounts of drug enforcement. It's as stupid and wasteful as the tsa.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I hear ya man! I know the no smoking thing is bad news for smokers. Smokey public areas, butts and ashtrays, a few smokers (not all) that are just plain rude about it, etc. make the alternative a drag (pun intended) for us non smokers though.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by crowe
Does anyone know if Brasil more generally, ie not just airport lounges, has joined in this silliness?
Describing people trying to protect themselves from the discomfort and other negative extrnalities of your habit as "silly," is itself rather absurd, and shows that you fail to appeciate the affects of your own lack of self-control upon others. That the world is finally starting to treat smokers the same as those with other anti-social addictions, makes perfectly good sense to me and most others.

To answer your specific question though, most of Brazil has never been a place to welcome smokers gladly -- although like many other things, they tolerate it despite their disapproval. There are few major cities in the world for instance, where smoking is practiced less frequently than in Rio de Janeiro, where most people are far too health conscioius (and socially conscious) to have taken up the habit. GIG has always had insufficient barriers around smoking areas, leading to a smelly mess whenever a flight bound for Europe is ready to leave. I certainly welcome the fresh air.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.