Wiki Posts
Search

Caracas - To/From Airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2006, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat
Caracas - To/From Airport

I am going to Caracas this week. My first time. I have read some posts and such about the bridge between the airport and the city being washed away by flooding. I have also heard that it takes 3-4 hours to get from the airport to the city because there is no bridge. Is this still the case? What is the best/cheapest/safest way to get from the airport to the city?

Second....how far is the airport and the city from the beaches? Best way to get there from both?

MANY THANKS!!!

J
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat
No one?

Ok, thanks.

You can get rid of this thread. I am leaving for CCS tomorrow.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 12:21 pm

Programs: big pimpin'
i just noticed this thread...it is hard to get a response in less than 24 hours...in any case, if you haven't left yet and still have questions, PM me.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 9:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
I am heading to Caracas next month and I'm also curious about the trip from the airport to the city. Any thoughts?
Old Oct 19, 2006, 3:46 pm

Caracas Airport

Well, let me tell you ... Arriving in Caracas is a HUGE HASSLE. I fly between Bogota and Caracas every 2 weeks. It takes an entire day despite the short 1:30 h flight.

Yes, the bridge is still down, and yes, it may take you more than 2 hours to get to the city. I've found that arriving around 6-7pm on a weekday is the best shot for a shorter ride from the airport to the city. Avoid arriving on a Sunday afternoon as all beach-goers will be heading back. When leaving, always plan leaving the city around 3-4 hrs prior to your flight time to allow for huge traffic jams. Especially on Fridays and weekends.

Good beaches are not close to the city.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Icaro
Well, let me tell you ... Arriving in Caracas is a HUGE HASSLE. I fly between Bogota and Caracas every 2 weeks. It takes an entire day despite the short 1:30 h flight.

Yes, the bridge is still down, and yes, it may take you more than 2 hours to get to the city. I've found that arriving around 6-7pm on a weekday is the best shot for a shorter ride from the airport to the city. Avoid arriving on a Sunday afternoon as all beach-goers will be heading back. When leaving, always plan leaving the city around 3-4 hrs prior to your flight time to allow for huge traffic jams. Especially on Fridays and weekends.

Good beaches are not close to the city.
I traveled there last year when the bridge was still up and I remember a very long tunnel back to the airport that reminded me of Escape from New York that was completely clogged with broken cars and vendors selling cookies. An SUV hit rear-ended the taxi i was but no one got out to exchange information.

That said, caracas is a rough city, and I haven't heard many good things about the beaches close to it.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 10:11 pm

Any advice on getting a cab from the airport to the city?
Old Oct 30, 2006, 10:34 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by LucWise
Sorry, don't know what the fares for a taxi would be. However if you are looking to save money you could catch the bus. I used it December last year and presume it is still operating. The bus doesn't go to the Int. Terminal, so you will need to walk to the domestic which really isn't far maybe 1/4 mile. I think the cost for the bus was $3-5k Bolivars - less than $US 5. Might be a good way to save paying for a taxi which isn't moving anywhere.

Mal.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 3:08 pm

Programs: big pimpin'
if you are talking about the fleet of black explorers, i believe they are significantly more expensive...between $50 and $100 each way. they can be requested at the airport.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 8:01 am

Havent been to Caracass in a few years, but when I was going I was sternly warned repeatedly not to just take any cab from the airport. The ones you get from the desk insided the aiport were more expensive (as has been mentioned). There was a warning floating around the company I was working for that some ladrones were hijacking cabs on the way to the airport. They would then proceed to airport where they would hold up the drivers sign (with passengers name(s) on it) so that they could take them away and do bad things to them.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 1:32 pm

For anyone else who may be interested in this subject, we arrived in Caracas and were picked up via a charter bus that was arranged for us in advance. We left the airport at 5:45 p.m. and it took 3 hours, 15 minutes to reach our hotel (Tamanaco Intercontinental). Traffic was obscene.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.