Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

USA-SCL-EZE: do I have to pay the $100 Chile 'tax'?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond

I am eyeing a DL flight SMF-ATL-SCL-EZE. On the outbound there is a 5 hour layover and we probably wouldn't leave the airport. On the return there is a 10 hour layover, and we'd like to see SCL - if we don't have to pay the $100 tax. There would be two of us. If we can show we are simply 'stopping over' do we still owe the tax? Or do we have to pay it as a fee of sorts for physically leaving the airport grounds?
Old Jul 28, 2006, 6:32 am

You could call the nearest Chilean consulate for the official answer, but I don't think you're going to be able to get past Passport Control without paying the $100. On the bright side, unless things have recently changed the little stamp that they staple to your passport states that it is good for the validity of your passport, so if you return to Chile before that passport expires you won't have to pay it again.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:31 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Does Chile charge all US passport holders regardless of age? I'm wondering if my 8 year old will have to cough up $100. (I'll cover him)
Old Jul 29, 2006, 1:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Does Chile charge all US passport holders regardless of age? I'm wondering if my 8 year old will have to cough up $100. (I'll cover him)
Since the child will most likely be travelling on their own passport, you'll have to cough up money for the 8-years old child too. If the child were to be travelling on an adult's passport itself, then that'd be an interesting angle; however, it doesn't work for a child aged 8.

In reference to prior posts in this thread, a US passport-holder will have to pay the fee to enter the country (and visit the city) at SCL airport (even if it's a transit and you want to leave the airport for a few hours). Also, the payment still results in the stamp/receipt attachment that is valid for entries into Chile for the entire duration of that particular passport's validity.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 6:56 am

I do know that if you enter Chile via roadway (such as the pass from Mendoza) you do NOT pay the $100. It is only for US citizens arriving by air; regardless of where they originate.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
thanks - thus the $100 is owed unless we remain in the aiport for the duration of our layover. makes the direct ATL-EZE much more appealing - an extra 12 hours to earn 410 EQMs while sitting in an AF lounge hardly seems worth it.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:03 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Not just U.S. passport but also Canadian passport holders. Diplomats call this fee "reciprocity" since the U.S. (and presumably Canadian) government charges Chileans the same fee to travel to the U.S., including an 8-year old, even if that child is on transit in the U.S. to another foreign country. Brazilians who used to transit to LAX to fly to Tokyo not only had to pay the fee but also have to apply for a transit visa in Brazil.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 11:47 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by psychtobe
thanks - thus the $100 is owed unless we remain in the aiport for the duration of our layover. makes the direct ATL-EZE much more appealing - an extra 12 hours to earn 410 EQMs while sitting in an AF lounge hardly seems worth it.
So if one transits to another SA flight do you or don't you have to pay the 100 bucks.Not staying in the country,not leaving the airport lounge,just making a connection.
Thanks in advance for a clear answer.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
So if one transits to another SA flight do you or don't you have to pay the 100 bucks.Not staying in the country,not leaving the airport lounge,just making a connection.
No $100 fee for changing flights through SCL.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:18 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
There is no payment required if you remain airside within the international transit area. It's the same as an international transfer in any other airport in the civilized world (except, sadly, the US).

You do not go through passport control, which means you're not entering Chile, which means you don't need to pay the $100 entry fee.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by alex0683de
There is no payment required if you remain airside within the international transit area. It's the same as an international transfer in any other airport in the civilized world (except, sadly, the US).
Is the United Kingdom no longer a part of the civilized world? They require
visas for several nationalities simply to transit the UK and remain airside in the international transit area. It's called a Direct Airside Transit (DAT) visa
and has been around long before 9/11. The wording below comes from the UK Immigration's "Do i need a visa?" web interface.

"Nationals of certain countries, which includes Palestinian Authority - unless exempt as detailed above - must have a DAT visa to transit through the United Kingdom. The visa does not allow entry to the UK: other than to catch a connecting flight; leaving from the same airport on the same day; where you do not need to pass through immigration control to catch the flight. This is called Direct Airside Transit."

Last edited by dogcanyon; Jul 31, 2006 at 7:39 am
Old Aug 2, 2006, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by alex0683de
China?

P.S.: alex0683de, I notice that you list FRA as one of your locations. I believe FRA is the only location in the "civilized world" that requires a transit visa of all persons from dark skinned nations...

Last edited by TravelManKen; Aug 2, 2006 at 6:21 pm
Old Aug 3, 2006, 4:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TravelManKen
China?
Airside transit at PEK/BJS does not involve a visa/payment on my latest trips and I saw a variety of passports from OECD and non-OECD nations go through without a visa or related payment.

Originally Posted by TravelManKen
P.S.: alex0683de, I notice that you list FRA as one of your locations. I believe FRA is the only location in the "civilized world" that requires a transit visa of all persons from dark skinned nations...
Regarding requiring a transit visa of "all persons from dark skinned nations" (whatever that is), not really (at least not three years ago or so) regarding FRA. At the time at least, the UK required Turks transiting LHR to have a transit visa and that's why a good number of Turks living in America chose to fly via FRA rather than LHR. Also, most people from India could transit FRA without a transit visa too.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
China G-Visa (Transit)

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Airside transit at PEK/BJS does not involve a visa/payment on my latest trips and I saw a variety of passports from OECD and non-OECD nations go through without a visa or related payment.
http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t84242.htm

G)Visa is issued to an alien who transits through China.
How to apply
1. You must come to the visa office of the Embassy or Consulate -General in the consular jurisdiction where you live to submit the application; or
2. If you cannot come personally, you may entrust someone else or a travel/visa agent to come to the visa office of the Embassy or Consulate -General in the consular jurisdiction where you live for application process.

* Mail applications are not acceptable and will be refused. Mail back service is available(make sure you read INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICATION MAIL SERVICE).
* No appointment is required.

Documents to be included with application:
1. Your valid & actual passport. The passport must have at least six (6) months validity left before expiration and at least one blank page left in it.

2. One completed Visa Application Form (Q1) with one additional passport photo (black & white or color is acceptable).

3. A valid visa of the country of destination, and a final destination airline ticket.

4. An applicant born in China who applies a Chinese visa with a new foreign passport is required to submit his/her Chinese passport or last foreign passport with a Chinese visa.

Visa fee and processing time

U.S. Citizens $50 or $75 (Single/Double)
Non-U.S. Citizens $30 or $45 (Single/Double)

* The regular processing time is 4 working days. For express service, additional fees of $30 for 1 working day processing (applications presented before 11:30 am may be picked up between 2:30 pm-3:00 pm on the same day), or $20 for 2-3 working days processing will be charged.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deutschland Visas for those with Tans

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Regarding requiring a transit visa of "all persons from dark skinned nations" (whatever that is), not really (at least not three years ago or so) regarding FRA. At the time at least, the UK required Turks transiting LHR to have a transit visa and that's why a good number of Turks living in America chose to fly via FRA rather than LHR. Also, most people from India could transit FRA without a transit visa too.
http://www.german-embassy.org.uk/air...nsit_visa.html

Afghanistan x1, India x2x4x6, Pakistan x1x4, Angola x2, Iraq x1, Somalia x1, Bangladesh x1, Iran x1x3, Sri Lanka x1, Ethiopia x1, Jordan x2x5, Sudan x2, Eritrea x1, Congo x1 (Democratic Republic), Syria x2, Gambia x2, Lebanon x2, Turkey x2x3x6, Ghana x1x3, Nigeria x

* X1 Do NOT require an airport transit visa if they possess a "Leave to remain in the United Kingdom for an indefinite period" or a "Certificate of entitlement to the right of abode".

* X2 Do NOT require an Airport Transit Visa if they possess any visa or residence permit for the United Kingdom.

* X3 Holders of Diplomatic or Service passports do NOT require an Airport Transit Visa for Germany.

* X4 Holders of Diplomatic passports do NOT require an Airport Transit Visa.

* X5 Jordan Nationals do NOT require an Airport Transit Visa if

a) they have a visa for Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand or the United States of America and a confirmed flight ticket or bording card for the flight to this country. The exception is only valid for this trip from Jordan to the countries listed above.

b) and after their stay in the countries mentioned above for the return to Jordan with a confirmed flight ticket or boarding card and the transit time in Germany does not exceed 12 hours.

* X6 Indian and Turkish Nationals do not require an Airport Transit Visa if

a)they have a valid Visa for Canada, Switzerland or the United States of America for the flight to these countries or

b) after their legal stay in the countries mentioned above for the return flight to their home country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.