Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skiing in Chile/Argentina

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2005, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Skiing in Chile/Argentina

Any recommendations or advice? I've heard that Portillo and Valle Nevado are the best in Chile, while Las Leņas is the place to be in Argentina. I'm leaning towards Chile, given the proximity of the mountains to SCL.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 12:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bquinif
Any recommendations or advice? I've heard that Portillo and Valle Nevado are the best in Chile, while Las Leņas is the place to be in Argentina. I'm leaning towards Chile, given the proximity of the mountains to SCL.
I prefer Portillo only because the snow conditions are generally better for a longer part of the season. (It's also fewer flights from the US.) Depending on what part of their ski season you are going to be down there for, you may want to build in some flexibility -- in case one year is better in one place than the other.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 1:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UAL 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, SPG Platinum, DL MM
I was in Portillo last year for a week and had a great time. It is easy to get to (except for the last mile ) You will enjoy.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 6:19 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
In Argentina, dont forget to consider Bariloche and San Martin de los Andes. Best time to ski in Argentina is August and early September.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 2:26 pm

I skied Valle Nevado in July - great snow but a surprising amount of pommel lifts for a "first class" ski resort! Haven't skied in other S. Am locations.

(one of which I fell off and tumbled down a rather steep slope. But that's just my own clumsiness.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.