Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Patagonia - Argentina or Chile?

Patagonia - Argentina or Chile?

Old Feb 10, 23, 6:07 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Posts: 1
Patagonia - Argentina or Chile?

Hi All

I am going to South America in April and I would like to go down to Patagonia. Unfortunately due to time restrictions and logistics, I am only going to be able to go to either the Argentinian or Chilean side.

My question is whether you feel the Argentinian or Chilean side is better for a trip with limited time (say a week including flights in and out)? I hear that Torres del Paine is incredible but that El Chalten is also very impressive - perhaps somewhere else is equally amazing!

What are your thoughts?
Angelus123 is offline  
Old Feb 13, 23, 11:16 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Programs: statusless these days
Posts: 20,903
Depends on what you define by Patagonia. They're both very different (I've been to both but admittedly more on the right side of the divide).
YVR Cockroach is online now  
Old Feb 16, 23, 4:34 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Full time Nomad
Posts: 785
Just got back from the Argentina side, w/ side trip to Torres del Paine

Originally Posted by Angelus123 View Post
Hi All

I am going to South America in April and I would like to go down to Patagonia. Unfortunately due to time restrictions and logistics, I am only going to be able to go to either the Argentinian or Chilean side.

My question is whether you feel the Argentinian or Chilean side is better for a trip with limited time (say a week including flights in and out)? I hear that Torres del Paine is incredible but that El Chalten is also very impressive - perhaps somewhere else is equally amazing!

What are your thoughts?
How much actual hiking do you do? What do you want to do? We are just in our last week, from Puerto Natales, and Torres del Paine to El Calafate to El Chalten to Bariloche to Mendoza. Ask me anything!
stan1162 is offline  
Old Feb 19, 23, 7:34 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by stan1162 View Post
How much actual hiking do you do? What do you want to do? We are just in our last week, from Puerto Natales, and Torres del Paine to El Calafate to El Chalten to Bariloche to Mendoza. Ask me anything!
Hi Stan. Booked for late May. I like off-season but I知 a bit worried we may be really late. Trying to plan El Calafate, El Chalatn, the Glacier, the Park. Not worried about the weather. More worried about access, hotels being open, things like that. I normally am a big planner but I知 stuck. Any chance you used a local guide? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
Ted Striker333 is offline  
Old Feb 21, 23, 4:52 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Full time Nomad
Posts: 785
Uh oh

Originally Posted by Ted Striker333 View Post
Hi Stan. Booked for late May. I like off-season but I知 a bit worried we may be really late. Trying to plan El Calafate, El Chalatn, the Glacier, the Park. Not worried about the weather. More worried about access, hotels being open, things like that. I normally am a big planner but I知 stuck. Any chance you used a local guide? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
Did you already book lodging??? At least in El Chalten (Estancia Bonanza) they told us they finish up end of March into April. One or two gauchos live on-site thru the winter, but the place is essential closed. The whole town they said pretty much shuts down. Very few year round residents. Everyone we met in-town or on the estancia was from Cordoba, Mendoza, Buenos Aires. El Calafate, not sure, I suspect its about the same. Unless its' a ski destination, like Bariloche, most close. I really think late May is too late. Can you not change your dates??

We loved our trip so much, we plan to come back again next year. Everybody said their favorite time was "autumn" which is Feb into March. Cooler, brisk, trees do change color.
stan1162 is offline  
Old Feb 21, 23, 8:11 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Paris, France
Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Posts: 712
You値l have some things going on in El Calafate in late May although walking over the Perito Moreno is uncertain due to snow/rain. You should also take into account that days will be short sunrise is around 9am. El Chalt駭 is more difficult as it痴 all about trekking and many paths close in late April due to snow and heavy rain. You may be lucky, though, and get beautiful sunshine, weather is unpredictable in Patagonia. Except for the cold it will be very cold.
Marambio is offline  
Old Mar 14, 23, 8:39 am
  #7  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus, Environmentally Friendly Travel, FlyerTalk Cares
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Posts: 17,694
Originally Posted by stan1162 View Post
How much actual hiking do you do? What do you want to do? We are just in our last week, from Puerto Natales, and Torres del Paine to El Calafate to El Chalten to Bariloche to Mendoza. Ask me anything!
Did you travel independently or have a guide? And did you fly between most cities? Pre-book travel or go on the fly?
I知 in the very beginnings of planning a trip for next January/February. Taking a trip to Antarctica that goes out of Ushuaia and want to spend at least 4-6 weeks around that exploring the area. Planning to do plenty of hiking, but not interested in W or O/camping.
Any lodge recommendations you have I壇 appreciate. I realize I知 so early into looking at this I知 not certain what to inquire about as yet.

(just read some of your other posts and submitted a request to follow on ig)

Last edited by l etoile; Mar 14, 23 at 8:45 am
l etoile is offline  
Old Mar 15, 23, 7:10 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Full time Nomad
Posts: 785
Hi!

Originally Posted by l etoile View Post
Did you travel independently or have a guide? And did you fly between most cities? Pre-book travel or go on the fly?
I’m in the very beginnings of planning a trip for next January/February. Taking a trip to Antarctica that goes out of Ushuaia and want to spend at least 4-6 weeks around that exploring the area. Planning to do plenty of hiking, but not interested in W or O/camping.
Any lodge recommendations you have I’d appreciate. I realize I’m so early into looking at this I’m not certain what to inquire about as yet.

(just read some of your other posts and submitted a request to follow on ig)
1. Accepted your request. Because it's private, I often wonder who the random people are who find us on Insta-jam!
2. We didn't do the W or any camping. Even though we are "young" 60 & 61, makes my back hurt just thinking about sleeping on a mat. We'll leave it for the kids to enjoy.
3. I've always been a planner, now that we are full-time nomads is harder to plan far out, but I say it's never too early if you can.
4. We did Antarctica on Silversea in November 2021, the second ship to go there after ships were allowed. Fantastic.
5. I would plan our route differently next time. I would also try my darnedest to rent a car, and go from bottom to top. We met a German couple who couldn't get out to Antarctica ( they had a fly over to Kings Island that never had a window). I think they said they picked up a car in Punta Arenas, and drove all the way to El Chalten to where we met them at the estancia.

So, you need route planning help, lodging help. We took buses and flights. Because El Chalten is hard to get to, you have to backtrack. If you have your own car, you can head northward. We loved Mendoza too. If you are a wine drinker, a do-not-miss. We ended in Mendoza, and took the bus through the Andes to fly out of Santiago. The bus ride was truly amazing!! We did it because Santiago is so much cheaper. A flight home from SCL was 1/3 of what it was from Buenos Aires.

So, I can give you how we did it using flights and busses, and thoughts doing it if I had a car, and how we plan on doing it next year ( again). Spoiler Alert.... We are DEF going back to Estancia Bonanza in El Chalten.
l etoile likes this.

Last edited by stan1162; Mar 15, 23 at 7:18 am
stan1162 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread