Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting intl / domestic flights in Santiago, Chile

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2019, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Connecting intl / domestic flights in Santiago, Chile

Hi all!

I'll be traveling through Santiago airport (SGO) next week, arriving via an international flight from Canada, and then progressing on a domestic flight to Punta Arenas (PUQ). I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience in recent years. I've done some reading (on FlyerTalk + elsewhere), and seem to have an understanding of arrival / customs / baggage procedures, but would like to confirm for peace of mind ... Here's what *I think I understand*:

- I will have to clear customs upon arrival and collect my checked bag in SGO {since I'm Canadian, I won't have to pay a "reciprocal fee"}
- I will then have to check-in (if not done in advance online) and re-check my bag with the new airline
- I then pass security to the domestic departures gate.

Would really appreciate if someone can confirm these details!!

In my case, I'll be flying with Air Canada (from Victoria, BC, to Toronto, then to Santiago), and Latin America Airlines (from Santiago to Punta Arenas). I understand that Air Canada and LATAM have a non-Star Alliance interlining agreement that means my checked bag may be tagged all the way to Punta Arenas, but from posts I've read elsewhere, it still sounds like I will have to collect the bag and clear customs before proceeding to the domestic departure. I'll have ~4hrs connection between arrival from Toronto, and departure to PUQ - this should be plenty of time, right? (assuming no delays or super excessive customs lines). I will then be doing the same trip in reverse in February, for which I presume it will be the same procedure??

Many thanks in advance. Happy and safe travels to all on the road at this time of year!
R
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Robert Izett Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by Robert Izett
I'll be traveling through Santiago airport (SGO) next week, arriving via an international flight from Canada, and then progressing on a domestic flight to Punta Arenas (PUQ). I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience in recent years. I've done some reading (on FlyerTalk + elsewhere), and seem to have an understanding of arrival / customs / baggage procedures, but would like to confirm for peace of mind ... Here's what *I think I understand*:

- I will have to clear customs upon arrival and collect my checked bag in SGO {since I'm Canadian, I won't have to pay a "reciprocal fee"}
- I will then have to check-in (if not done in advance online) and re-check my bag with the new airline
- I then pass security to the domestic departures gate.

Would really appreciate if someone can confirm these details!!

In my case, I'll be flying with Air Canada (from Victoria, BC, to Toronto, then to Santiago), and Latin America Airlines (from Santiago to Punta Arenas). I understand that Air Canada and LATAM have a non-Star Alliance interlining agreement that means my checked bag may be tagged all the way to Punta Arenas, but from posts I've read elsewhere, it still sounds like I will have to collect the bag and clear customs before proceeding to the domestic departure. I'll have ~4hrs connection between arrival from Toronto, and departure to PUQ - this should be plenty of time, right? (assuming no delays or super excessive customs lines). I will then be doing the same trip in reverse in February, for which I presume it will be the same procedure??

Many thanks in advance. Happy and safe travels to all on the road at this time of year!
R
Are all flights on 1 ticket? Or 2 separate tickets

Hope you are flying to SCL and not SGO
Great Circle Mapper
Great Circle Mapper SGO route
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arturo...tional_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Geo...t_(Queensland)

I have asked moderators to move this thread to the LATAM sub forum
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lata...?daysprune=100

Edit
Transfer Times in Chile Airport

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 28, 2019 at 6:44 pm
Old Dec 28, 2019, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Mwenenzi! Flights are booked on separate tickets.

And you're right - travelling through SCL .. oops!! Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2019, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Mwenenzi! Flights are booked on separate tickets.

And you're right - travelling through SCL .. oops!! Thanks!
With separate tickets would not expect AC to tag the bag for LATAM. Anyway a moot point as you will need to process immigration & customs, with all bags, at your port of entry: Santiago,

On the way back LATAM will not interline on separate tickets. Links in the wiki of Bag interlining issues and OW policy changes (Combined threads)

You do not have a connection. Just one flight arriving and another departing from the same airport. If the first flight is late and you no show the next flight the risk is all yours
Old Dec 30, 2019, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Many thanks!!
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
A few additional points.

1) You can expect a walk of anywhere between 5 and 15+ minutes from your international arrival gate to the immigration lines (and the 15+ looks like it will be the case until the new terminal is complete).
2) You can expect that the gate agents for your PUQ flight will be hard-assed with your hand luggage. Be prepared. Be familiar with the LATAM rules. Note that most if not all of their sizers have scales built in.
3) You can expect that the agents at PUQ will be more hard-assed with your hand luggage when you depart. Be prepared.

On separate tickets, you're at the mercy of a kind AC agent to tag it to PUQ (and even if it is, you'll still need to claim and drop at the LA domestic counter after SCL retrieval). On the return, LA will refuse if on separate tickets.
emrdoc likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Eastbay1K!
Old Jan 4, 2020, 3:00 am

Programs: QF, EK
Thanks Eastbay1K!
When are you travelling? I am doing this connection in mid March, flying into SCL with Qantas with connection to LATAM to fly down to PUQ, all on the same ticket. I've got about 3.5 hour connection assuming the fight is on time. I'd be interested to hear your international --> domestic transfer experience.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
A few additional points.

2) You can expect that the gate agents for your PUQ flight will be hard-assed with your hand luggage. Be prepared. Be familiar with the LATAM rules. Note that most if not all of their sizers have scales built in.
re: the carry on. LATAM website says 8kg of carry on, plus a small personal item. You sound like you have some experience with this. Will they weight both items if you look suss? I plan to have my rollaboard at under 8kg and a small backpack to take on the plane. Should I expect to check the rollaboard at the gate?
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by M.Wilson
When are you travelling? I am doing this connection in mid March, flying into SCL with Qantas with connection to LATAM to fly down to PUQ, all on the same ticket. I've got about 3.5 hour connection assuming the fight is on time. I'd be interested to hear your international --> domestic transfer experience.

re: the carry on. LATAM website says 8kg of carry on, plus a small personal item. You sound like you have some experience with this. Will they weight both items if you look suss? I plan to have my rollaboard at under 8kg and a small backpack to take on the plane. Should I expect to check the rollaboard at the gate?
My last domestic travel in Chile was just about a year ago. You'll need to retrieve your luggage and then go upstairs to the National departures / bag drop. You'll then go through a security checkpoint (rarely a long wait) and then out to the gate area. Often an agent will be roaming around the area looking at the cabin luggage. Once @ PMC, the agent made me weigh my cabin luggage - it was over (but properly sized) because of a large laptop inside - she was so nice, and just gave me a big plastic bag to place it in and carry as my "personal item," so I had nothing additional to check.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: QF, EK
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
My last domestic travel in Chile was just about a year ago. You'll need to retrieve your luggage and then go upstairs to the National departures / bag drop. You'll then go through a security checkpoint (rarely a long wait) and then out to the gate area. Often an agent will be roaming around the area looking at the cabin luggage. Once @ PMC, the agent made me weigh my cabin luggage - it was over (but properly sized) because of a large laptop inside - she was so nice, and just gave me a big plastic bag to place it in and carry as my "personal item," so I had nothing additional to check.
Thank you for the insight! It's good to hear what to expect - and to watch out for a gate agent.

I'm leaving Chile by land en route to El Calafate, this is my only Chilean domestic flight on the itinerary. I expect most of South America to be quite strict on carry on luggage, rules are rules. But, transferring off an international flight I'd prefer to keep carry on items as carry on.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 7:57 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
When are you travelling? I am doing this connection in mid March, flying into SCL with Qantas with connection to LATAM to fly down to PUQ, all on the same ticket. I've got about 3.5 hour connection assuming the fight is on time. I'd be interested to hear your international --> domestic transfer experience. [...]
Hey, this was like a year and a half ago (and not sure if you ended up going), but what was your intl-to-dom experience like? Lines long?
Old Dec 4, 2021, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Hey, this was like a year and a half ago (and not sure if you ended up going), but what was your intl-to-dom experience like? Lines long?
Note that the rules have been constantly changing regarding whether you can even do an Int'l-Dom transfer or if you must first quarantine in SCL. The situation continues to evolve. What's true this week may not be true next week.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 5:19 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin
Note that the rules have been constantly changing regarding whether you can even do an Int'l-Dom transfer or if you must first quarantine in SCL. The situation continues to evolve. What's true this week may not be true next week.
Good point. Thanks.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Thank you for the insight! It's good to hear what to expect - and to watch out for a gate agent.

I'm leaving Chile by land en route to El Calafate, this is my only Chilean domestic flight on the itinerary. I expect most of South America to be quite strict on carry on luggage, rules are rules. But, transferring off an international flight I'd prefer to keep carry on items as carry on.
I'm curious about this too! I have a potential 2 hr 35 min connection... arriving at 9:16am on Thursday morning on AA to LATAM departing for PUQ at 11:51am.

This feels very aggressive to get tested, clear immigration and then catch the next flight, but OTOH that's the only set of flights that would work that day.

Variables: We are currently booked in Row 1 on the AA flight so that's at least 200-300 chumps we won't be in line behind. We could potentially carry everything on.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 5:34 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Too short. Early morning is crush time when many of the northern hemisphere flights arrive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.