Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Best way to get to and from EZE and SCL from city centers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:46 am
Original Poster

I have a trip to Buenos Aires and Santiago coming up, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get to and from their airports, given that I'm likely going to be dealing with rush hour traffic at some points.

I arrive in EZE around 11 AM on a Wednesday and my hotel is in the Recoleta area, seems like a Remis at the airport may be my best bet?

My flight from EZE-SCL leaves at 9:35 AM Saturday, what's the best way to get from my hotel to the airport, and what time should I leave? I have no idea what the traffic situation is like on a Saturday morning. I assume if the best way is taxi, my hotel can arrange that for me, as my Spanish is very limited.

I arrive in SCL at noon, again, assuming a taxi from the airport is the best option, so not concerned about that too much. I am staying in the Bella Artes neighborhood.

My flight leaves SCL at 7:40 PM on a Tuesday, and I won't mind getting to the airport a bit early to enjoy the business class lounge. I plan on storing my bags at the hotel and coming back for them, so assume I'll leave from there. The weekday rush hour traffic is my biggest concern here. What time should I leave, and again, assuming a taxi is the best way?

Also, how can I make sure to avoid taxi scams in BA and Santiago?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Can't help with EZE, but things at SCL are pretty straightforward. You can book a taxi inside arrivals (at baggage claim) and pre-pay, and they will meet you outside customs and take you to the cab. A little more expensive than a metered cab, but worth avoiding the hassle. To get back from Bellas Artes to the airport at rush hour, just have your hotel get you a cab. Uber is another option, but it is banned at the airport so some drivers will get nervous and not want to take you. Most taxis in Santiago are metered, so scams are not really a concern. From Bellas Artes to the airport should be no more than an hour, even at rush hour, not including the construction-related traffic at the airport. I haven't been to SCL in about 9 months, so can't comment on how much you should add for that. Hope some of this helps.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EZE is easy!
https://www.buenos-aires-airport.com.../transport.php
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
SCL at most hours shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes. Don't take UBER there unless you are very familiar with the airport (and with construction, it is frequently changing). The driver may let you off far away for you to pick up a parking lot shuttle bus to the terminal. Hotel arranged transport tends to have quite a surcharge, but the cars are typically decent. Street taxis will be fine but will try and avoid some of the tolls, so it could add 5 to 10 minutes to the trip. From the airport into the city, just use the booths inside and get the fixed price. Not cheap, but reliable and safe.

EZE, just buy a fare inside, just after the customs x-ray inspection (the next room). They're all about the same except for Manuel Tienda Leon, which is probably 20% more.

Taxi scams aren't too frequent, but do take care at night in Santiago in and around the Bellavista neighborhood with some of the drivers. Many will try and quote some "fixed fare" (no such thing) or not turn on the meter and then give you some BS price when you gt to your destination. UBER is your friend around there.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold or possibly Gold Plus, LATAM World Elite MC, AA, MiClub Lider
FYI, Uber is illegal but functions in Chile. So that is why the airport is a major no-no. Outside of that, if the Uber driver gets pulled over at some police control checkpoint, you could be left on the side of the road as the driver gets his car seized and gets arrested.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
FYI, Uber is illegal but functions in Chile. So that is why the airport is a major no-no. Outside of that, if the Uber driver gets pulled over at some police control checkpoint, you could be left on the side of the road as the driver gets his car seized and gets arrested.
Which is why they want you to get into the front seat, because you're the driver's friend, not his passenger People in the back seat with no one in the front passenger seat is red flag numero uno!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:04 pm

Yes, don't worry about what the others said - [MENTION=974]Eastbay1K[/MENTION] is absolutely correct. They'll have you get in the front seat and put your seatbelt on. I have used Uber each time from SCL, including the first time I went. It is very easy and cheap. They'll have you meet them in the outdoor parking lot right next to the arrivals area (across the street technically). You'll be in the city in under 30 mins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.