Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for advice on Colombia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Looking for advice on Colombia

I have a flight booked to Colombia for the end of August. I have not been there before. I am flying into and out of Bogota. I will have 12 full days in Colombia(I actually have 14 days but the first day I arrive later at night and the last day I fly out very early). I am thinking of visiting Cartagena, Tayrona National Park, maybe the coffee region and Medellin. I'm not sure how much time to give to each area and I am wondering if there are other places I should consider as well. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
What sorts of things do you like to do, and what did you have in mind when you booked two weeks there?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Efrem
What sorts of things do you like to do, and what did you have in mind when you booked two weeks there?
Food, culture, sights, museums, nightlife, hiking, nature, maybe scuba diving.I listed some areas I think would be interesting. About the only thing I don't care for is just sitting on a beach all day and doing nothing. Don't get me wrong I love the beach and water, but I never understood just spending an entire day sitting on a beach because I would get bored.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
I found the mountains quite beautiful in Bogota. Haven’t spent much time outside there though. I have found Colombia to be a bit nicer, cleaner than Peru, Ecuador.

enjoy ! It’s a lovely country :-)
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
I found the mountains quite beautiful in Bogota. Haven’t spent much time outside there though. I have found Colombia to be a bit nicer, cleaner than Peru, Ecuador.

enjoy ! It’s a lovely country :-)
Its been a long time since I have been in south america, but I would not return to Peru. It was fine to go and see the sights, but yea a cleaner country is def going to be better.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Cartagena can get really, really hot at some times of year, but it's the best-preserved Spanish colonial city in the western hemisphere, 'tis said. Maybe equal to a St. Augustine + an old San Juan. Lots of atmosphere. Medellin has a really nice climate, and the teleferico to Parque Arvi and the Museo Nacional are among the musts. Didn't get out to the coffee country but it sounded promising. Can't help with Bogota as yet.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:04 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I may not be able to help with nightlife or scuba diving but can thoroughly recommend Cocora Valley for hiking. There are jeeps which will take you from Salento on a bumpy but scenic ride to the entrance of the valley.

In Medellín I enjoyed a graffiti tour of Comuna 13, once the most dangerous area of the most dangerous city in the world. A graffiti tour in Bogota was interesting but the tour in Medellín was on a different level.

If you like markets you will find Paloquemao in Bogotá fascinating as I did and a weekly indigenous market of Silvia.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:32 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
I'd go

Day 1 Arrive BOG, depending on what time you arrive have a look around the centre or stay in an airport hotel
Day 2 Fly coffee zone
Day 3 Go to a coffee farm and the Mariposario
Day 4 Cococra
Day 5 Fly Coffee Zone to Medellín EOH on ADA or EasyFly from PEI or AXM
Day 6 Have a poke around Medellín, perhaps a city tour
Day 7 Go to Guatapé and El Peñón
Day 8 Fly MDE to CTG
Day 9 Do a city tour
Day 10 Have a frozen margarita and watch people sweat
Day 11 Get to Tayrona area either privately or on Berlinas del Fonce. Don't stay in the park itself, the accommodation blows
Day 12 Go to the Park for a day trip
Day 13 Relax on the beach in the morning and then fly back to BOG
Day 14 Fly home
Old Mar 20, 2018, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
I'd go

Day 1 Arrive BOG, depending on what time you arrive have a look around the centre or stay in an airport hotel
Day 2 Fly coffee zone
Day 3 Go to a coffee farm and the Mariposario
Day 4 Cococra
Day 5 Fly Coffee Zone to Medellín EOH on ADA or EasyFly from PEI or AXM
Day 6 Have a poke around Medellín, perhaps a city tour
Day 8 Fly MDE to CTG
Day 9 Do a city tour
Day 10 Have a frozen margarita and watch people sweat
Day 11 Get to Tayrona area either privately or on Berlinas del Fonce. Don't stay in the park itself, the accommodation blows
Day 12 Go to the Park for a day trip
Day 13 Relax on the beach in the morning and then fly back to BOG
Day 14 Fly home
I'll take a look through these suggestions. Thanks.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: Everything
Originally Posted by RustyC
Cartagena can get really, really hot at some times of year, but it's the best-preserved Spanish colonial city in the western hemisphere, 'tis said. Maybe equal to a St. Augustine + an old San Juan. Lots of atmosphere. Medellin has a really nice climate, and the teleferico to Parque Arvi and the Museo Nacional are among the musts. Didn't get out to the coffee country but it sounded promising. Can't help with Bogota as yet.
My understanding is that Cartagena is hot 12 months out of the year. They have two seasons, which have nothing to do with hot and cold, they are simply less rain and more rain. We loved Cartagena. We spent 5 nights there which gave us time for two day trips and lots of prowling around the historic center.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:17 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
I went to Guatapé and El Peñón on a day trip from Medellín. Guatapé is a colourful town where I had bandeja paisa, sometimes described as Colombia's national dish, for lunch.

This is supposed to be a half-portion

Walking along the shore of the lake to work off my lunch I had to buy this fridge magnet from a street vendor

El Peñón de Guatapé was not as daunting to climb up as it seemed from the distance with this strange sign at the bottom of the steps.

HeavenlyJane likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:22 pm

WSJ today:

Why Bogotá is Now on Ambitious Travelers’ Agendas

The Colombian capital is suddenly in the travel spotlight, thanks to new luxury hotels, inventive restaurants and a street scene so lively it makes the country’s darker days seem like ancient history

By Finn-Olaf Jones
March 22, 2018 2:44 p.m. ET

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-bog...das-1521744253

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 23, 2018 at 4:38 pm Reason: FT rule 9 - Copyright violation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.