Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

I need vacation tips for Medellin. Advice please.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

My goal each year is to travel at least one foreign city or country. This year I’m making plans to visit Medellin. A friend who went to a romance singles tour there suggested it. He’s given me a couple of tips here and there, but I need more details from experienced people, or even some locals.

I haven’t reserved or booked anything yet. So, I’ll be needing tips for that too. Where do I get the cheapest yet okay accommodation, with airport transfers preferably. Another thing is that I also need suggestions for the places to see. Should I get a guide?

I’ve been to Cancun, Cuba, and the Bahamas the previous years so I’ve learned a couple of Spanish/Portuguese words already. I need more tips for my vacation plans. Thanks ahead for your replies.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Feb 1, 2018 at 3:42 pm Reason: remove bold font
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
https://www.google.com.co/search?q=m...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I was there back in November on a first trip (redeeming Spirit miles). Nice place, great climate, very affordable. Stayed at Hostal Relax 10 near Parque Lleras, where they had a private room with an ensuite at $28 (plus lots of cheaper options). That area is one of the nicer and safer areas and really overflows with nightlife, especially on weekends.

Parque Arvi and the teleferico to get there are absolute musts, with the journey and views as big a deal as the destination. A true highlight.

Having the train line can help a bit for getting around. Seeing the Museo Nacional and the Botero works is a good idea. I did one of the hop-on/hop-off bus daytours but got sidetracked a bit with the thieves market...the "hill" is also OK to see though a bit gimmicky and filled with locals on weekend days. There are also longer options like the coffee-country trips, but I can't comment on those. Maybe resident expert JohnnyColombia will come along.

As in Quito, the airport-to-city distance is something of a pain and makes taxis a bit expensive without too many alternatives, though IIRC there's also a bus service to one of the downtown hotels. Guidebooks still advise avoiding downtown after dark.

As in most of South America, some Spanish will go a long way, as most people won't speak any English. It's not like Cancun in that regard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.