Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage drop at BOG

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum
Baggage drop at BOG

I will be arriving at BOG on a domestic flight (Satena) at around 5:30pm and departing on an separate ticket international flight on UA at 1am. If everything goes well, that is a long layover in BOG, which I would prefer to spend in the Avianca lounge inside security rather than sitting outside security. However if I check a bag for the UA flight I have to wait until UA check in starts only 3(!!) hours before the 1am flight.

Does anyone know of a way to bag drop before UA check in begins? Anyway to check-in online or at airport kiosk, and then bag-drop at some central location in BOG? Any ideas would be helpful!
Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
According to the BOG airport website, UA allows self-check in and has counters open from 6:30 am to midnight.
https://eldorado.aero/en/airlines/united-airlines/
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
I think you're probably out of luck. When I fly into Bogota on a separate ticket and I am connecting with American I have to wait around until they allow me to check in. I haven't flown United for a while, but back when I was a regular United flyer they were pretty strict about not letting you drop bags more than four hours before your flight. This was throughout their system - not just Bogotá.

But, it never hurts to ask once you get there.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I'm pretty sure you're screwed. It might say they have checkin from 630 to midnight (I actually think that means office staff hours) but I don't think they do. UA has flights departing 0115, 0830 and 0930 basically.

You'd be able to check-in online, though in my experience, at least with AC, security wouldn't accept a mobile boarding pass, so make sure you have a physical one, I assume they would've accepted printed at home, but who knows.

So do whatever you can to have no bag, otherwise just wait and be first in line? Alternatively you could go to a movie or something, sounds weird but there's a mall with a big theater pretty close by, have dinner, see a movie, shop, whatever. If your bag is at the very least portable, walking with it around a mall wouldn't be the end of the world.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I'm pretty sure you're screwed. It might say they have checkin from 630 to midnight (I actually think that means office staff hours) but I don't think they do. UA has flights departing 0115, 0830 and 0930 basically.

You'd be able to check-in online, though in my experience, at least with AC, security wouldn't accept a mobile boarding pass, so make sure you have a physical one, I assume they would've accepted printed at home, but who knows.
Yes I think you're right. I have taken this VERY early morning flight a couple times now over the last two months and both times I haven't been able to check in >3 hours before departure time. I think the only way to do early check-in is if you have only carry-on luggage and don't need to do a visa check at the gate counter to enter USA.

However I remain surprised that UA only offers check-in 3hrs prior to departure at BOG. Doesn't seem like much time for an international flight. Both times I have taken this flight there is a line of about 20 people waiting for the UA agents to start the check in. But maybe this is common? I know AA has a flight at about the same time out of BOG but not sure when they begin check-in.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 4:06 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by gandalf29
Yes I think you're right. I have taken this VERY early morning flight a couple times now over the last two months and both times I haven't been able to check in >3 hours before departure time. I think the only way to do early check-in is if you have only carry-on luggage and don't need to do a visa check at the gate counter to enter USA.

However I remain surprised that UA only offers check-in 3hrs prior to departure at BOG. Doesn't seem like much time for an international flight. Both times I have taken this flight there is a line of about 20 people waiting for the UA agents to start the check in. But maybe this is common? I know AA has a flight at about the same time out of BOG but not sure when they begin check-in.
I’ve taken the AA flight. The counter does not open until three hours before departure for that one either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.