Where to go in Central/South America?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to go in Central/South America?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Indeed the Ipanema hotels are too expensive.
Up to about 300 USD would be ok, but not 500+ for a standard room.

I would prefer a hotel where I have status - which would mean Starwood/Marriott and Hilton.
What about the Hilton Copacabana (used to be the Windsor Atlantica)? It's on the other end of the beach (further away from Ipanema), but has good reviews and looks quite nice.

The JW Marriott looks so old... On Booking.com, hotel management admitted it needs renovation.

Last edited by ChocolateFactory; Oct 10, 2017 at 4:23 am
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I'm heading out to walk the beach right now. Will check it out and post back later.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:50 am

ChocolateFactory........

I didn't need to walk there once I looked at the map to see where the Hilton was. I would not stay there, nor will I, or 90% of the locals, walk in that area at night. It is known as Leme, and represents the other side of what Copacabana has to offer. It is the sleaziest and the only part of this area I would consider unsafe. Having said that, it is 2KM away from where I am and is a non-issue as what happens there doesn't really migrate down the beach or back streets. A lot of the petty crime happens in Leme.

The Marriott is #20 of 2,200 hotels in Rio on Tripadvisor. The entire building was built from scratch and is excellent IMHO. I believe whatever you read can be put down to translation errors rather than fact.

Hope that helps.
​​​​
ChocolateFactory likes this.

Last edited by KDS777; Oct 10, 2017 at 2:06 pm
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:37 pm

So I am on the beach now and what used to be "The Meridian" hotel now has Hilton on the side of the building.

It is in Posto 2 further up the beach. That location is OK for what you want to do..........walking outside, etc.

Last edited by KDS777; Oct 10, 2017 at 1:20 pm
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Thank you so much for your input! Highly appreciated.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:20 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Note: Please follow the thread for continued discussion in the South America forum
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
I am doing a similar trip as CHOCOLATEFACTORY around the same time as well . I just read through the entire thread, thank you so much for all the tips!

My flight are booked for the following dates....
Dec 22 - fly into Lima, Peru
Jan 2 - leave Rio, Brazil

How many days do you guys think I will need for each of these places, Lima, Cusco, Machu Picchu and Rio? Thanks!

Originally Posted by KDS777
So I am on the beach now and what used to be "The Meridian" hotel now has Hilton on the side of the building.

It is in Posto 2 further up the beach. That location is OK for what you want to do..........walking outside, etc.
I am actually considering the Hilton Hotel because it is the most affordable rate. Do you know if Posto 2 is a decent place to watch the NYE firework or is it too far to the left? Thanks!
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Digging up this thread from last year:
I'm currently in Bogota, after being in Chile (Santiago/Valparaiso/Vina del Mar) for a couple days.

I loved Rio, Buenos Aires and Chile were a bit boring.
Bogota is amazing again, with live music and people dancing salsa everywhere.

For our New Year's vacation, I'd like to take my gf to Colombia (or somewhere similar). Maybe Medellin?
But we'd also like to have some days at a beautiful beach.
Where would you go for that? Some days in Medellin first and then go to somewhere in the Carribean? Tayrona, San Andres or somewhere completely different?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:18 am

It might be worthwhile to consider Cartagena (offers a great mix of city & beach); I suspect it'll be packed for NYE.
Tayrona & Santa Marta are also great. If you're searching for salsa - Cali is the place to be.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Cartagena looks really nice, but I'm not sure if it's really a beach destination? We'd be fine with flying to a real beach/resort place, too, in addition to seeing Colombia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.