Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Can I be denied boarding for not having transit visa for direct airside transit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I be denied boarding for not having transit visa for direct airside transit?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Hi guys
Came across this forum few days ago and found it very valuable. But I have a question which is nagging me quite a lot.

I am planning to travel from Sri Lanka to Peru via Qatar and Brazil (CMB-DOH-GRU-LIM). I have visa for Peru but not transit visa for Brazil.

As the flight is in two tickets, I have two problems:
1. Baggage interlining (which I am worried less about and I have a workaround to carry it hand luggage if necessary).
2. Denial of boarding by airline officials.

It is the second problem I am worried about. My first flight takes me from CMB-DOH-GRU. And they can only see GRU as a termination point (for which I dont have transit visa - given the dates, it is not possible to get transit visa on time either). I have a confirmed flight for GRU-LIM. The airline desk in Sri Lanka says that so long as I can show that second ticket, I will not be denied boarding. Should I worry about this or am I being paranoid about this?

Many thanks in advance!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Transit in Sao Paulo without Transit Visa

Hi
I am travelling to Lima via Sao Paulo. The origin flight is from Colombo (Sri Lanka) which goes through Doha.

I have two different airlines who handle the trip. From Colombo to Sao Paulo it is Qatar Airlines and from Sao Paulo to Lima it is LATAM. I have visa to enter Peru but not transit visa to enter Brazil (and given the current dates it is too late to get it).

I have three problems right now:
1. Baggage interlining.
If Qatar says that they cannot interline the baggage, I'd have a problem. But I have a workaround for this as what Im carrying is pretty small and can be actually carried as hand luggage.

2. Can I actually go from Qatar to LATAM without exiting transit area?
All information I looked at suggest that I can take the next flight in Sao Paulo Terminal 3. But is this correct? LATAM accepts electronic boarding passes. So I can check in online and have the boarding pass ready that I don't have to go and get it at a counter. Am I on the right path so far?

3. Can either of the flights deny my from boarding as they only see Sao Paulo as the destination?
This is more of a question about what can happen during boarding. I am worried that Qatar can see only up to Sao Paulo and would deny me from boarding because I don't have transit visa. On the return flight the same could happen to me on LATAM.

Would really appreciate any input on this!
Thanks
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:47 am

For Brazil you might need to be on 1 ticket if a US citizen - at least that is what it says in Timatic.

I would check on the Brazil forum - they will know better.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:47 pm

QR is responsible to get you to GRU. Thats it. If Timatic tells them you need a visa in advance for Brasil they can (and most likely will) deny boarding at CMB.
Whatever bookings you hold further on and how valid they are is out of control of QR and that is why they won't care.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Kulendra
Hi guys
Came across this forum few days ago and found it very valuable. But I have a question which is nagging me quite a lot.

I am planning to travel from Sri Lanka to Peru via Qatar and Brazil (CMB-DOH-GRU-LIM). I have visa for Peru but not transit visa for Brazil.

As the flight is in two tickets, I have two problems:
1. Baggage interlining (which I am worried less about and I have a workaround to carry it hand luggage if necessary).
2. Denial of boarding by airline officials.

It is the second problem I am worried about. My first flight takes me from CMB-DOH-GRU. And they can only see GRU as a termination point (for which I dont have transit visa - given the dates, it is not possible to get transit visa on time either). I have a confirmed flight for GRU-LIM. The airline desk in Sri Lanka says that so long as I can show that second ticket, I will not be denied boarding. Should I worry about this or am I being paranoid about this?

Many thanks in advance!
Enter your details here in TIMATIC and you'll see exactly what the airline agent will see at the airport stating what documents they will expect to see.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...aspx?i=TIMATIC

If Brazil normally requires a visa for passport holders from your country and/or trip purpose, the results above will most likely state

Transiting without a visa is possible for:

Passengers with a connecting flight booked on the same ticket in transit.
If the check-in or gate agent goes strictly by this, which I would expect, they would deny boarding notwithstanding what someone told you in their call center beforehand. Personally I wouldn't risk it. But again, depends on your particulars so check above.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:20 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Assuming Sri Lankan passport/residence, you do not need a transit visum for Brazil if this trip is all on one ticket.
If separate tickets, you do need a transit visum, and both QR on the outbound and LATAM on the way home could deny you boarding for not having it.
Check this with Timatic (link)and print out the information.
Qatar should check bags through (if one ticket/single PNR). They likely will not do that on separate tickets after oneworld gave up on requiring this last year, but you may get lucky.

And you will not need to go through Brazilian immigration anyway. Qatar and LATAM both operate from T3 in GRU, and you can stay in the transit area (if not having to claim and recheck bags). So doing OLCI and having a mobile BP would work.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk Kulendra.

We've moved your post to the South America forum. As you've cross posted, we've flagged for these threads to be merged.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.