Search

Iguazu logistics and rental car?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2015, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Iguazu logistics and rental car?

Hi, taking my first trip to S. America this Sept, so first time in this forum. Three adults are arriving IGU on the Brazilian side at 6:05p on 9/21, and departing also from IGU at 12:43p on 9/24. So, we have two full days there, and are planning to spend one full day each on either side of the falls.

I've read arguments about going to which side first, but more importantly, where would you stay? With a relatively late departure on 9/24, I assume we can actually spend all three nights at the same hotel in Puerto on the Argentinian side - that way we don't have to switch hotels. Is that reasonable, and are we missing anything by not staying at least one night in Foz on the Brazilian side?

Second is transportation. I have seen all the taxi costs, and wonder if it makes sense for us to rent a car at IGU instead (which I know is okay to drive to Argentina with the Carta Verde but NOT Paraguay). Will it be a hassle if we just just taxis (or even buses) and go back and forth the border during our days? I have driven in various non-English countries with no issues prior.

Thanks for all information and tips.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:35 am

I would advise staying on the side from which you will be leaving. There are plenty of places in the town of Foz, as well as some more resort-y places on the road between the town and the park, the same road that passes the airport.

It really isn't all that hard to get around and over the border to the other side of the park. I did it by straightforward local public buses and didn't feel inconvenienced in any way (although I do rent a car for other, less accessible locations in Brazil, and to get around in, for example, the Yucatan and Turkey). Not adverse to renting, in other words; just didn't feel it necessary or any major advantage, in this area.

Whatever you decide, enjoy.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. Now, I am probably stay in Puerto for 9/21 and 9/22. On 9/23, will move back to Foz, and visit the Brazilian side of the falls. 9/24 no need to worry about crossing the border.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Buses are easy to use in the area, especially getting to the falls on both sides and between the center of both towns.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: 7mm DM, FC, Marriott PM (lifetime), HH Diamond
We have been three times, most recently this past May. I do NOT recommend a rental car. You can get a guide for the full three days including a driver pretty cheap. I would also recommend staying in the same hotel. If you can afford it opt for the Belmond Das Cataratas.
Here is the company we used for a guide: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...of_Parana.html
Ask for Edgar as a guide. He is outstanding. You will make best use of your time with a guide. I think we paid $400 (which included tips for guide and driver.) We were picked up at the airport, Brazil side, mid afternoon, taken to hotel and toured Brazilian side, next day were picked up at 9 am and returned to hotel at about 6 after Brazilian side tour, and stops for lunch and shopping on Argentine side. Next full day went to the Itaipu area, which is fantastic, including the animal reserve. Our flight wasn't until 2pm (again Brazilian side) the next day so we had a stop at the bird park.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: Somewhere in my wallet
There are a lot of buses shuttling between Puerto Iguazu, the falls, and Foz do Iguacu. I wouldn't bother renting a car.

Foz is a big concrete Brazilian city, not particularly attractive. Puerto Iguazu, the small city on the Argentine side, is much more pleasant, and also much cheaper.

As for visiting the falls themselves, I'd start on the Brazilian side. It offers the best panoramas of the entire site. Then I'd cross to Argentina, and spend the majority of the time there. This is where you can get up close to the various falls (there are dozens of separate ones) - the Argentine park has catwalks all over the place. In many places, you can reach out your arm and have the falls run over it. The highlight is the catwalk that takes you directly over Garganta del Diablo, the main drop.

You will get wet, probably very wet, on the Argentine side. Bring plastic bags to keep your camera and any other electronics. There's an inexpensive boat that does tours at the base of the falls, worth checking out. You'll also see bands of coatis (long-tailed raccoon-like creatures) patrolling the park.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:20 pm
MCB

Programs: UA former 1P, WN A-List, Hyatt Pt, HH Au, Marriott Ag, SPG Pt, Accor Pt, IHG
How much would a taxi from IGU airport (we are arriving from Sao Paulo) to a hotel in town on the AR side (Iguazu Grand) cost, approximately? And correspondingly, from that hotel to the IGR airport (we are going to Buenos Aires next)?

Does the BR/AR border crossing take a long time, or is it more like US/Canada or even like Europe?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:47 am

Border crossing is not a complex procedure (Stop, show passport, show reciprocity receipt if applicable, go), particularly by taxi (drivers can get you through faster sometimes) . The whole trip, IGU airport to Argentine hotel, should take about 45 minutes. Don't know taxi price because I've always just used the local public bus.

The Argentine airport is quite close to the town (maybe 10 minutes) and the park (between the two), so taxi should be a minimal cost.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:51 pm
MCB

Programs: UA former 1P, WN A-List, Hyatt Pt, HH Au, Marriott Ag, SPG Pt, Accor Pt, IHG
Thanks. Does not sound too bad.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
We are flying to IGU from Rio (GIG) - is IGU on the Brazilian side? We have 2 days in town- is it worth staying only in Brazil and if we stay at the Sheraton on the AR side, how far is it from IGU and how much is reciprocity fee?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:02 am

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
We are flying to IGU from Rio (GIG) - is IGU on the Brazilian side? We have 2 days in town- is it worth staying only in Brazil and if we stay at the Sheraton on the AR side, how far is it from IGU and how much is reciprocity fee?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by kdinino
IGU is the airport in Brazil.
IGR is the airport in Argentina.
I would recommend staying on the side you will depart from.
Plenty of comfortable hotels in Foz and resort type places along the road to the park.i don't like the idea of being isolated within the park and having to leave to eat, etc., or be dependent on just what the hotel provides. For me, that balances any few minutes more in the park.
It is not difficult to get around to both sides of the park by local public bus, or by taxi.
IGU is quite close to the park entrance on the Brazil side, probably about 45 minutes from the Argentine park, depending on traffic at the border station.
Reciprocity fee depends on which passport you hold iirc.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just want to give an update. We decided to stay in Argentina for all 3 nights. Taxi from IGU to Puerto was easy, and the fare was 90 Reais, which we accepted. (Various searches suggest going rate between 85 to 100 Reais). Taxi driver took our passport inside Brazilian border control to have it stamped, and on the Argentinian side, all our passports stamped at the booth.

Coming back, we decided to ask the hotel to arrange a car. Fare was 450 Pesos, which was a bit steep (as I have seen some posting on the walls in Puerto advertising 250-300 Pesos), but we decided to just let the hotel do it. Again, driver took our passports inside the Brazilian office for stamping (and he filled the entry cards for us as well).

We took it easy at the Argentinian side, and spent both days there. As the park offers 50% off 2nd day. Lots of trails, and the boat ride kept us occupied.

The money issue was interesting in Puerto. I can post more if someone's interested to know.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: VA Plat, TK E, HH Dia, IHG Gold
Just a quick follow up question.

We are flying into IGR (Argentina) at about 9:30pm and looking to transfer to a hotel on the Brazilian side.

Is there any problem with doing this (particularly late at night)?

How much should a taxi cost?

From everything i'd read it looks like it should be no problem but It would be good to confirm that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.