Wiki Posts
Search

Santiago Lunch Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2014, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Santiago Lunch Recommendations?

Might be in Santiago for a day soon and was wondering about some good lunch restaurants. Would prefer something that tends to lend itself to local cuisine and is reasonably formal, but not pretentious or simply super-formal. Thanks guys!
Old May 6, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP
Some places I like to eat:

Giratorio - fairly formal and upscale; Av 11 de Septiembre 2250; Los Leones station

La Estancia (steaks) - one floor below Giratorio; less formal

Bar Liguria - more casual; recommend the gnocchi; there are 3 of these and I prefer the one at Av. Luis Thayer Ojeda 019; Tobalaba station

Civico - popular business persons lunch spot; all good but avoid the sea bass as it will be overcooked; inside Centro Cultural Palacio la Moneda; La Moneda station

Jewel of India - yes believe it or not, great Indian food in Santiago; have only eaten dinner here, but lunch should be good as well; Av. Manuel Montt 1007; Manuel Montt station

Donde Agusto - fish restaurant located in Mercado Central; kind of kitchy/touristy, but good seafood (I recommend the sea bass with mariscos sauce)

And finally, my favorite restaurant in Santiago -
Astrid y Gastón - excellent Peruvian cuisine; pretty upscale; Antonio Bellet 201; Pedro de Valdivia station

Hope this helps.
Old May 6, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Santiago is a big city, so your choice of restaurant may be constrained by where you are. But assuming you will be where most foreigners go, the northeast sector of the city, here are five recommendations. Note, none of them really offer "local" cuisine, but that's not a bad thing. Chile is not a foodie kind of country, traditionally.

1) Baco, a French bistro-style place on Av. Ricardo Lyon between Providencia and the river. Excellent duck here, the best in town.

2) Rivoli, the best Italian in Santiago, just off Lyon, tucked away on a pedestrian walkway, practically next door to Baco. Good pizzas and pastas.

3) Happening, at the corner of Augusto Leguía Norte and Apoquindo, in Las Condes. Argentine steak place. Good steak! And good salads too.

4) Coquinaria, in the basement of the W Hotel on Isidora Goyenechea, across from Plaza Perú in Las Condes. It's a combination upscale food store and restaurant. Good sandwiches, salads, etc., nice atmosphere.

5) If you have time to make a reservation you might try Osaka, a Peruvian-Japanese fusion place on the fourth floor of the same W Hotel. Very popular, always packed, don't count on getting a table without a reservation. To be honest Osaka Santiago is not quite as good as the original in Lima, but you're not in Lima, so try this one if you can.

All of these places offer plenty of good wine at reasonable prices.
Old May 10, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Wife and I had an excellent lunch at Caleta Lastarria in November. Local cuisine, lot's of good seafood. Recommended.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Never been to Santiago, but I did just find this.....

The Briton who used all her money to open a restaurant in Chile - FT.com
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Check out Bar the Clinic in the Bella Artes neighborhood of Santiago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.