Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Two nights on Easter Island - moderately crazy or plumb crazy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus - 2P

Good morning

Yes, I know this sounds awful. For what it's worth I've gone "East coast - Europe" long weekends a number of times in the past (for fun, not work!) so I have an idea of what I'm getting into.

I am going to Santiago for a business conference soon, for one week. After this conference is over, our team is considering several independent travel options for a few days. I'm strongly considering Easter Island. Due to other travel plans this year, I have a fairly limited amount of vacation days I can take for this AND there are apparently no flights off island on Mondays which was my first choice and would have given me an extra night there. The bonus of course is that it would be pretty cheap - out of pocket only airfare and two nights hotel and food, and the "somewhat proximity" and the cheaper cost is the only reason I'd consider this. Yes, I know it's a 5 hour flight each way. That is still shorter than going to Europe for the weekend, to me.

If I choose to do this, I would leave Santiago early Friday morning and arrive at lunch time Friday on Easter Island. Friday afternoon and Saturday to sight see, and EARLY Sunday flight back to Santiago = at the airport at or before dawn.

Knowing this is nutty, what best way to spend my time? Truly, if I only saw the Moai I'd be a happy girl. We will be hoofing it for certain (yes, there may be two others with me).
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: LH HON

I did easter island for two nights and was under the impression that it was sufficient but worth it - go for it!
Old Apr 23, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Completely doable. I did two nights there last year. Was just about the right amount of time for me - others may disagree but everyone has their perspective on how much time they want/need to spend in a given place.

I look at this it way: if I have only 2 days to spend in a place, would I rather wait until I have more time there (not knowing when, if ever, that will be) or would I like to have at least seen some of it?

I usually opt for the latter
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:02 pm

Most people spend even less time because they are on their way to Tahiti.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Sous-vetements civilises, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by skywalkerbeth
Knowing this is nutty, what best way to spend my time? Truly, if I only saw the Moai I'd be a happy girl. We will be hoofing it for certain (yes, there may be two others with me).
Not nutty at all - I spent a few days there but that was during tapati (local carnival thing).
Spending time:
Friday pm:

- Sort out tours for Saturday: Orongo am and Moai pm (may be possible to find both with one operator)

- Check out Hanga Roa and the nearby spectaular Moai - basically head down to the sea, turn right and keep going. There's a small museum close by that I believe would be open Friday pm.

- Time for a pisco sour

Saturday: sorted. Enjoy
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Very doable.

I arrived one afternoon, took an island tour of the Maoi and a beach visit the 2nd day (the only full day), and saw the Orongo the morning before my flight out on day three. So all in all about two full days. Plenty of time.
Old May 1, 2012, 8:15 pm

You Can Do It

We just returned from Easter Island on Sunday having spent 4 nights there. So glad we had time to see everything we wanted and enjoy the pisco sours and restaurants at night in a more leisurely pace. It's a very unique place. You will be able to see all the most important moai in the time you have and if that's all the time you can spare, just do it. You will be fascinated by it all. A tour guide can whip you around the island and make sure you see all the best spots. We rented a jeep but that takes time and you don't want to waste a minute. Good luck.
Old May 11, 2012, 11:59 am

I also just returned from IPC a couple of days ago. 2 nights/1 full day is a good amount of time to get the essence of the island, so I agree with the others.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that as the southern winter solstice approaches, the days are short and getting shorter (i.e., sunrise just before 8AM, sunset shortly after 6PM).
Old Jun 10, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: DL FO, AA PLT, BD *G
Something I've always wondered about Easter Island--and please excuse the ignorant and simplified way I'm asking this question--but is there any point to going there aside from the giant stone heads? I keep considering going but I stumble on that point; if I'm going somewhere I'd like there to be interesting culture/food/scenery/people, something other than one "big thing" that gets put on a postcard. So, for instance, I'd never bother to see the pyramids or Machu Picchu, and only went to see Angkor Wat as an incidental side trip to the rest of Cambodia (even though they market it as practically the only tourist attraction in the country).
Old Jun 10, 2012, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by BDA shorts
Something I've always wondered about Easter Island--and please excuse the ignorant and simplified way I'm asking this question--but is there any point to going there aside from the giant stone heads?
If you have no strong desire to visit (e.g. you didn't dream about it as a kid) or are not on your way to Tahiti - I doubt it.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by erik123
(e.g. you didn't dream about it as a kid)
There are others? And I thought I was the only one....
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by OskiBear
There are others? And I thought I was the only one....
My wife's with you (she did visit on a stopover) - I'm not (I did dream about it as a kid after reading about the Kon Tiki)
Old Jun 12, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
I spent two nights (maybe three?) on Easter Island. I was based in Santiago for the summer (winter down there) so it was an easy trip. Two full days was plenty to explore a lot of the island. Definitely recommend! Unique experience that isn't likely to last forever.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:16 pm

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
If you can go when the Tapati festival is taking place, you'll have more than one big attraction. It's tricky to know the dates, they vary each year, but always around Carnaval time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.