Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Santiago to Patagonia

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2011, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Santiago to Patagonia

Is there a way to go from Santiago to Patagonia without paying about $400 for a return flight? Journey shouldn't take to long, they will only have two weeks in Chile/Argentina.
Any other advice what to see in less distance to Santiago in February?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:40 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by 31570324
Is there a way to go from Santiago to Patagonia without paying about $400 for a return flight? Journey shouldn't take to long, they will only have two weeks in Chile/Argentina.
That would depend what you mean by "Patagonia" Chilean Patagonia is a devilishly long skinny bit of the world.

I am flying Santiago to Puerto Montt with LAN for CLP50.000 in a couple of weeks which is USD106 RT. Puerto Montt is the "La puerta de la entrada a la Patagonia chilena"

From Puerto Montt I am flying for the same price to Punta Arenas at the other end of Patagonia.

So that is about USD220 for 4 segments, no doubt it would be cheaper if you flew direct to PUQ but given you didn't say where you want to go exactly then I cannot be much more help
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:48 am
Original Poster

@JohnnyColombia: Thank you. I dont know exactly where they want to go, just got the information that they want to see Patagonia if its not to expensive.
This will be the first time that my parents visit south amercia and maybe the last time, too.
If I search on lan.com I couldn't find anything lower than $300 for a Return from SCL to PMC. Are there higher prices for foreigners?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 3:12 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
The bargains are on the LAN Chilean site, if you are looking at another country's site then you wont see them, if you are in the USA then you will need to go to the LANPASS forum and have a look for the info on how to access LAN Chile from the USA.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
The bargains are on the LAN Chilean site, if you are looking at another country's site then you wont see them, if you are in the USA then you will need to go to the LANPASS forum and have a look for the info on how to access LAN Chile from the USA.
Agree with this. We got the 3 leg LAN pass for around US$400 which allowed us to fly SCL to Punta Arenas, El Calafate to Ushuaia, and Ushuaia to Bs.As. This trip included a 4 day detour to Torres del Paine NP in Chile, which is about as Patagonian as you can get.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Thank you. May brother is in Chile now, so he should see the cheaper prices, yes? I will ask him. Will they debit the difference to the foreigner price when they recognize that the passangers are non-locals?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.524 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Thank you. May brother is in Chile now, so he should see the cheaper prices, yes? I will ask him. Will they debit the difference to the foreigner price when they recognize that the passangers are non-locals?
Chile pricing is point of sale, not point of residency.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Chile pricing is point of sale, not point of residency.
Thank you ^
Old Dec 7, 2011, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HH DIAMOND, IHG PLAT, RYANAIR NO OTHER OPTION FLYER
Sky Airlines also flies to both Punta Arenas and Puerto Natales (nearer to Torres de Paine) and seems to have more reasonable fares for non Chileans than LAN. See https://www.skyairline.cl/en/index.aspx. I asked about its safety in another thread in the South America section and feedback was that it's OK. They also do a Coyhaique-Punta Arenas hop which would allow access to another interesting part of Southern Chile with hot springs, hiking etc.

If you have more time you can also take Navimag ferry Puerto Montt to Puerto Natales, or even take an expensive but well reviewed cruise to the San Rafael Glacier from either: http://www.skorpios.cl/EN/.

One general point to note is intermittent disruption in Chile and Argentina from volcanic ash - allow some contingency time in your plans for this.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 75K
You can also use British Airways Avios miles for roundtrip from SCL-PUQ. It is 10,000 Avios points each way (for 20K RT). I've also seen BA offer cash and points option for 10K + ~$180 (all-in).
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
We did the 3-leg LAN Airpass and went from SCL>PUQ, FTE>USH, and USH>AEP all for a little over US$400 bucks. LAN didn't even check to see if we were flying in on an AA/partner flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.