Wiki Posts
Search

Best plan PHL-SCL?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2011, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA
Best plan PHL-SCL?

Trying to jump down to Santiago from Philadelphia in October for a long weekend. Any suggestions on cheapest fare and which airline? I have about 100K Starwood points that I could transfer to several airlines for upgrades, if the paid fare is low enough. Would rather not use points on purchasing tickets.
Old May 21, 2011, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nognig
Trying to jump down to Santiago from Philadelphia in October for a long weekend. Any suggestions on cheapest fare and which airline? I have about 100K Starwood points that I could transfer to several airlines for upgrades, if the paid fare is low enough. Would rather not use points on purchasing tickets.
Isn't October off-peak in the AA deep S. America award chart? That would be only 40K if available (AA or LAN). You'll sit in coach, but how much is an upgrade worth to you in the middle of the night? Personally, I would choose to go 3x in coach.

I would recommend taking the nonstops from JFK, but if you don't have a way of doing that, there are the obvious connections (although probably not to JFK flights).

Oh, and it's crazy to do this for a "long weekend." I once went to EZE for 4 days, but it's stupid, unless you really have no vacation time (like you should take a week unless you will lose your job). At least the jetlag is modest!
Old May 21, 2011, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by iahphx

Oh, and it's crazy to do this for a "long weekend." I once went to EZE for 4 days, but it's stupid, unless you really have no vacation time (like you should take a week unless you will lose your job). At least the jetlag is modest!
Not crazy. That was my first trip to SCL (a long weekend, after years of wanting to go) and it gave me enough taste to start exploring Chile at length. And now, the rest is history.
Old May 21, 2011, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Not crazy. That was my first trip to SCL (a long weekend, after years of wanting to go) and it gave me enough taste to start exploring Chile at length. And now, the rest is history.
But why not go for a week the first time? It's something like 5000 miles, right?

As somebody who's taken "weekend" trips all over the world (although, mericifully, never to Asia) I can attest to its absolute stupidity.

Unless, of course, that's the only way you can do it.
Old May 23, 2011, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA
I know a long weekend is stupid, but we have a 2 week trip to Africa in early November, and the October visit to Santiago is more or less obligatory -- just need to make an appearance. It's going to be tiring, but it may just whet my appetite for longer stays in the future.

I like the idea of AA's nonstop from JFK. JFK is an easy drive from home.
Old May 23, 2011, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nognig
I know a long weekend is stupid, but we have a 2 week trip to Africa in early November, and the October visit to Santiago is more or less obligatory -- just need to make an appearance. It's going to be tiring, but it may just whet my appetite for longer stays in the future.

I like the idea of AA's nonstop from JFK. JFK is an easy drive from home.
Yeah, if the choice is nonstop at JFK or connect from PHL, JFK is easier. The problem with JFK is if you're headed to Europe, a lot of the flights leave around 8 pm, which means your battling the unpredictability of rush hour on the bridges and Belt Parkway. The nice thing about the S. America flights is they leave later, so less hassle getting to JFK.

Don't forget to look for LAN flights, too, if you're redeeming an award.

If you're brave, you can even park for free in Howard Beach. Search for the thread. Enjoy.
Old May 25, 2011, 12:47 pm

If redeeming check BA for LAN flights from JFK (flat bed seats in C). Using BA miles is 10k less in miles per one way (40 vs 50 on AA). If using AA miles on the return you can add a leg from JFK to most places AA flies in the US for the same mileage (e.g. to LAX in a good business class seat).

You can also check aeroplan if you want to fly direct from PHL - or use UA if you need a one way (and combine this with a BA one way if needed).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.