Wiki Posts
Search

Best (preferably non-US) First Class Airline to South America

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2010, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Best (preferably non-US) First Class Airline to South America

What airline would you recommend for the best first class passage from the US or Canada to Brazil, Argentina, or Colombia? I would rather avoid US carriers since my impression is that they generally are not at par with European and others....

I am unfamiliar with this destination....If it was HKG, I would say CX. If it was DXB, I would say EK. If it was Europe, I would say LF or LX, perhaps BA....But its not...what do you say for South America?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
There is not much F service on foreign carriers to South America from North America. LAN used to have a superior F product. (Taittinger Comtes de Champagne, caviar, king crab, etc.) Sadly, it is gone. Their "Premium Business" cabin is probably the best 2 cabin service on any airline between the continents. Most of the TAM fleet is 2 cabin (I think). There is nothing anymore on par with the types of carriers you mention for travel between N and S America anymore. The AC product is ok (2 cabin service) and the seats give more personal room than LA, but the food/wine isn't as good, generally. UA is the only carrier that has an F cabin on all of its services - AA doesn't even on certain flights.

All things considered, LA is usually your best bet, but is far from the opulence of a "foreign carrier" F experience these days. I have never flown TAM, but if you are flying to South America other than Brazil, flying through GRU is generally far out of the way, and you'll likely be on a small plane for the last few hours.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 7:56 am

Programs: LH SEN
Korean and possibly JAL do a stopover at LAX on their way to GRU. I don't know about their F product though.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
JJ, JL, and possible KE are your only options.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
You're almost close enough to fly to Europe, then to SA. You then have some decent FC options, ones you know anyway. Just remember that even BA has no FC to many SA destinations, and keep F mostly on 747-400 to the region. Almost all the carriers into the continent seem to be shedding F as fast as they can. I have very fond memories of both JJ and LA FC, even the former glories of legacy Varig. All of thsoe are kaput. If you really want to go out of the way you can take EK to DXB thence GRU, F all the way. Direct will not do.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
And while the request was for a non US carrier, keep in mind that UA operates the reconfigured 763 out of ORD to GRU with the flat bed seats and AVOD in F and C.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
LAN is probably your best bet. Their premium business seat turns into an actual flat bed (not the angled garbage). I had no problem falling asleep on my LAN flights, and I usually don't sleep well on airplanes.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by etch5895
LAN is probably your best bet. Their premium business seat turns into an actual flat bed (not the angled garbage). I had no problem falling asleep on my LAN flights, and I usually don't sleep well on airplanes.
Also, their AVOD system, while similar in appearance and functionality to the new UA system, actually has about 35 movies and 500 or so CDs.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Also, their AVOD system, while similar in appearance and functionality to the new UA system, actually has about 35 movies and 500 or so CDs.
How right you are, including some older movies. You won't bore easily on your flight. In my opinion, the cabin crew were very friendly and attentive, and did what they could to make the flight comfortable. The pre-departure pisco sour is a very nice touch.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 7:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Although I like LAN's service generally, that pre-departure pisco sour is a very poor excuse for what, if done well, is a good drink. Chilean pisco sours in general are inferior, and those served pre-flight by LAN are a step below even those. You want a good PS? Go to Lima.

AA runs three-class 777 service to EZE from DFW, JFK and MIA, and to GIG as well. It's not like the first class service of old, but the seats are big and comfy and you get a lot of space.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando
Although I like LAN's service generally, that pre-departure pisco sour is a very poor excuse for what, if done well, is a good drink. Chilean pisco sours in general are inferior, and those served pre-flight by LAN are a step below even those. You want a good PS? Go to Lima.

AA runs three-class 777 service to EZE from DFW, JFK and MIA, and to GIG as well. It's not like the first class service of old, but the seats are big and comfy and you get a lot of space.
I've had plenty a number of great Pisco Sours in Chile. And so what, on the plane they use the bottled pre-mixed Pisco Sour - it is a nice touch. Is it the best drink ever? Nopo. A nice touch before heading to South America? Sipo. I'd never expect an airplane galley to separate fresh eggs and do everything required to make a "proper Pisco Sour." And it comes in a nice glass. Fly AA or UA? Your pre-departure beverage will come in plastic, albeit of a quality that you could almost mistake it for fine crystal. I'd also bet that the pre-departure bubbles (Louis Roederer Brut Premier, same as served inflight) is a lot better than what is served on AA or UA pre-departure, and a lot better than what is served in their business cabins inflight. Also, in glass, pre-departure.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I've had plenty a number of great Pisco Sours in Chile. And so what, on the plane they use the bottled pre-mixed Pisco Sour - it is a nice touch. Is it the best drink ever? Nopo. A nice touch before heading to South America? Sipo. I'd never expect an airplane galley to separate fresh eggs and do everything required to make a "proper Pisco Sour." And it comes in a nice glass. Fly AA or UA? Your pre-departure beverage will come in plastic, albeit of a quality that you could almost mistake it for fine crystal. I'd also bet that the pre-departure bubbles (Louis Roederer Brut Premier, same as served inflight) is a lot better than what is served on AA or UA pre-departure, and a lot better than what is served in their business cabins inflight. Also, in glass, pre-departure.
I can honestly say that the only good pisco sours I've had in Chile are the Peruvian-style ones served at Peruvian restaurants like La Mar. There are a surprising number of Chileans who agree with me (just as there are Peruvians who will admit that their climate just doesn't make for red wine that can compete with the best of Chile & Argentina). When I'm flying LAN (which I do very frequently) I get the pre-flight bubbly, and yes I do like that they serve it in glass unlike AA/UA (and AC to boot). But really I wish they'd do away with the pisco sours and serve up a nice glass of Casablanca valley chardonnay instead! Sípo.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:59 am
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by etch5895
LAN is probably your best bet. .
I agree. DOn't know how much you expect from a first or business class, but LAN is the most reliable airline.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:57 am

Programs: SPG, AA, Delta Skymiles
TAM does offer 1st class service from JFK to GRU, with flat beds. I think their first class product is very good. Not knowing a lot about LAN's product, I would say that JJ has a very competitive first class service.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paulista
TAM does offer 1st class service from JFK to GRU, with flat beds. I think their first class product is very good. Not knowing a lot about LAN's product, I would say that JJ has a very competitive first class service.
LAN's product is definitely a business class product, but it is better than the other 2 cabin services, and a lot better than the business cabin of airlines with 3 cabin services. The food and wine is probably as good as UA or AA in F, but not served in as many courses (and without an ultra premium bubbles). The seats are quite narrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.