Wiki Posts
Search

SAA Airbus retrofit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2005, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 360 MM, HH Diamond, MR PP & Lifetime Platinum
SAA Airbus retrofit

My father and I are going to SA in June on SAA (on DL miles). Wanted to get J class, but sold out. I had heard horror stories about the lack of room on the A340s in Y, and also about a plan to retrofit them. I emailed SAA, and here's the good news:

Hello Mr. Auditor2005,

I'm forwarding you a copy of the Airbus Configuration roll-out schedule. From
what I gather, the A340-600s and -300s should be completed by the end of January

Kind regards,
SAAUSA

The attached schedule says the new seat pitch will be upped from 31/32" to 33/34". I also asked about the IFE boxes and screen angles, but didn't get a response.

For those who have taken this flight recently, just how bad is it in Y, and how are the stops in Sal (ATL) and Dakar (JFK)? Are we allowed off of the plane at all? We're renting a car in JNB and driving to Sabi Sands...Hertz says US drivers licenses will work - any thoughts? Also, any input on the following would be greatly appreciated: Hilton Sandton (any Diamonds have good experiences there?), Elephant Plains game lodge, and Table Mountain Lodge in CPT. Can't wait to go...been looking forward to this one for a while. Thanks for your input...
Old Nov 10, 2005, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA not Gold anymore :(, UA, US, CO, HH
I don't know what the seats are like in Y on the 340s, but I'll be in one of them next month and I can let you know. I wish the Atlanta-based planes would have retrofit before December 28 on our outbound flight. Might get luck on a mid January return, but I'm not counting on it. Retrofits usually fall behind, don't they?

You will not get off the plane in the one hour stop in Cape Verde Islands (from ATL), not sure about Dakar.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
I take this flight about 4X/year -- occasionally in Business Class but usually in Y. It it HORRIBLE -- I've never been on a worse flight anywhere. An increase in pitch is long overdue but it doesn't seem to be much of an increase. I suspect they will keep their very good IFE (it's the only thing that keeps your mind off the fact that you have no feeling in your legs). The IFE will even be better because your eyes will no longer be 8" from the screen if the person in front of you reclines his/her seat.
All this being said, expect a lousy level of service. SAA's FAs are notoriously incompetent and rude (sorry to be the bearer of bad news). Even in Business Class they are only passable.

The stopover on SAL is annoying as it comes just as you've been able to drop off to sleep. You cannot get off the plane, and you have to take your overhead baggage out of the bins and keep it on your lap until security people go through the cabin to ensure that no one getting off at SAL has left something on the plane (a US gov't requirement).

Cape Town is lovely--a little dangerous after dark, but very special nonetheless. I really recommend getting out to Stellenbosch and wine-country. It may not be the "Cape Town Experience," but it is definitely the "Cape Experience."

Last edited by rhetor; Nov 10, 2005 at 1:56 pm
Old Nov 10, 2005, 2:29 pm

ATL-JNB Load in Y

Of the multiple flights you have taken on this segment, what has been the load in Y? I would guess there is a higher demand out of NY/DC.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 360 MM, HH Diamond, MR PP & Lifetime Platinum
Thanks for the feedback. That does sound dreadful. Hopefully the experience in SA will more than compensate for the flight! I'm hoping (by some miracle) that 2 award seats would open up in J...but since it seems they only give DL 2 to begin with, I have a better chance of winning the lottery! Oh well...can't wait to see SA...particularly Pilgrim's Rest area, Kruger, and Capetown.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 5:01 am

Programs: NW, DL PM, AA, AC
Coach class to SA ATL-JNB

I flew this route in Aug-Sep earlier this year. I had heard the same horror stories from a lot of people about cramped seating and such. Turned out to not be so bad, but I was lucky to have an empty seat beside me (I was in the left side 2 seat section) both on the way out and on the way in, which probably made things much easier on me. Some observations:

1. The stop in SAL is indeed a pain. While they didn't make us remove our luggage from bins etc, they did not allow us to leave our seats either since they needed to clean the plane and effect a crew change. It was indeed painful to have to waste those two additional hours descending and climbing up again.

2. The food was decent - I had ordered an AVML though, so that might be why. However I realized it might have been better to carry some snacks with me since after the lunch at the start of the flight, they served no food until after we had landed in SAL, refueled and taken off again, and then it was a small sandwich.

3. Free booze in coach, haven't seen that on any US airline in a long time

4. The entertainment system was quite good. The IFE boxes are under one of every two seats though, reducing leg room. Try to get the seat without the IFE box.

The service wasn't of the standard you can expect in, say, Singapore airlines, but it wasn't horrible either. I guess I was too lost in my book to notice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.