Community
Wiki Posts
Search

business SAA to Johannesburg

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2004, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, IC RA, *wood Plt, AA EXP, LH Sen, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, EK Gold
business SAA to Johannesburg

Considering taking business class JFK-JNB on SAA or LH. Been on LH before, but I would like to cut the layover time in FRA. Any suggestions? How is SAA business on that route? Planes? Service? Will appreciate any response. Thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 9:42 am

Programs: AC SE; AA Executive Platinum; NW Platinum; SPG Platinum; InterConti Royal Ambassador
I have taken SAA out of Atlanta to Johannesburg, but not JFK. Overall SAA is a very nice airline. The Airbus A340-600 that they fly on the ATL – JNB route is very nice and the interiors are modern. The service offered by SAA is not outstanding but at par with many of the European carriers, such as Lufthansa.

Exterior of SAA A340-600

Interior (in Business Class) of SAA A340-600

The seats (pictured above) are comfortable (to say the least). The Entertainment systems are up-to-date and offer the latest movies.

Their service out of JFK is decent. The flight is operated on the Boeing 747-400, which many enjoy due to the size and space offered on this huge jumbo-jet.

NOTE: On a separate note, I believe that SAA won't be at Atlanta much longer as they have announced plans to join the Star Alliance. We could see them move their ultra-long distance planes to another Star Alliance hub. Their partnership with Delta is finished
Old Apr 11, 2004, 10:52 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
In case you're unaware of it, to fill in the history on this a bit more, SAA until January 2004 operated the 747-400 on routes from ATL to JNB and CPT. Those were configured in three classes, and Business Class on those was average, at best. The recline and such were not up to current international premium class standards for J class.

With the delivery of their new Airbus 340 models, however, SAA has switched to a two-class configuration. The routes from ATL switched over in January or thereabouts, and the JFK routes I think switch any day now if they haven't already. So, business class is now the most premium class offered by SAA on these 8,000 miles flights, and as a result I think you can expect an improvement over the old J product, particularly with regard to seat comfort and features.

I personally am sad to see F service go on the route. I got to fly it roundtrip four times on SAA, and there was always something cozy about the F cabin in the nose of the 744. And there were always a decent number of passengers sitting there (usually 4-6, but twice it was full). Given the fare charged, and the lack of award seats they'll allocate, one would think it would have been worth it to maintain three classes.

Food on SAA, even in F, is mediocre. Service is always pleasant although not always anticipatory. Wine selections are all from South Africa and lately have been pretty good, but no dessert wine is offered.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
More details please ...

on changes on SAA out of Atlanta. I'm planning a trip for April 05. I don't want to go via Zunich again!

Thank you!
Old Apr 11, 2004, 11:48 am

Programs: AC SE; AA Executive Platinum; NW Platinum; SPG Platinum; InterConti Royal Ambassador
Post SAA to Star Alliance (ATL route)

My guess - purely hypothetical, is that SAA will be taking all of its operations out of Atlanta. Without the partnership with Delta (as SAA will be joining Star Alliance) I see no need to operate out of Atlanta.

I am sure once they are in the Star Alliance, SAA will dump Delta and all of their code-sharing will be terminated.

BUT, US Airways announced last year (May 31st 2003) that their application to join the Star Alliance has been approved. It is April 11th and they still haven't set a date to enter. It could be the same story with SAA. There is no set date for the entrance into the Star Alliance and therefore their partnership with Delta will most likely stay until further notice.

They will continue to operate the ATL - JNB flight throughout the summer, and possibly into the fall. As for your flight (which I am assuming is in 2005) I am not sure whether they will be operating this route or not.

JP
Old Apr 12, 2004, 7:52 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
on changes on SAA out of Atlanta. I'm planning a trip for April 05. I don't want to go via Zunich again!

Nothing official has been announced yet regarding gateway changes, but the odds are that SAA will be out of Atlanta the first of the year. I think that is when their five year codesharing agreement with Delta will be up, so I would expect to see them depart the scene.

I don't personally think this is a very good decision for SAA. Perhaps the Star Alliance makes sense for them elsewhere in the world, but for the U.S. market they could have no better place to hub than ATL, with secondary hubbing at JFK, like they do now. From ATL they can connect people easily anywhere in the U.S. They won't be able to do that nearly so easily at MIA, IAD, PHL, etc. Therefore, I have a slight glimmer of hope that SAA will join Star but still keep the Delta codeshare, if they simply look at the numbers out of ATL. I don't think it's coincidental that SAA has been strongly profitable the last couple of years. With the average fares charged on routes from ATL to South Africa, this has to be a cash cow for the airline.

Moreover, by joining Star their U.S. partner will become United, which may not be around in present form that much longer. So, despite Delta's problems, SAA takes a much weaker U.S. partner by making this switch.

My greatest wish if SAA leaves would be for Delta to use two of its eight 777 aircraft and launch ATL-JNB/CPT service. It would take a lot of nerve to try it, but I honestly think that the efficiency of the 777 would make Delta very competitive on that route. Of course, this will never happen.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 12:48 pm

Took SAA business class - ATL to CPT return last year and found it to be overall very good. Could not imagine that much time in the air in the middle economy row of a 747. My comments on businees class now are null since they have started a new plane with a new bus class and seat. I echo Roberts statements...maybe star makes more sense for them worldwide, but there is not a better gateway or funnel for passengers than Hartsfield. They dropped AA a few years ago because Miami was not working for them as a funnel. They have done very well at ATL with DL dumping all of their early morning connections onto SAA mid morning departure. Chicago may work for them but I would be surprised if they could hit CPT/JNB from there.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Although eveyone else seems to be talking about ATL-JNB, I actually flew the JFK-JNB route. One big advantage over the ATL departure is that it leaves later in the day. More of the flight will be in your normal sleep cycle and the plane will arrive in JNB in the afternoon. You can go to your hotel directly without having to wait for check-in time. I recovered from jet lag very quickly with that flight.

If you have the three-class configuration, you will find the service adequate, but not outstanding, in business. One tip: if no one is behind you, you can recline the seat to almost flat. There is a little tab on the side of the arm rest. If you push it, the seat will recline further than what the electric controls will allow. I didn't realize this until I saw a couple of savvy passengers go for the unoccupied middle seats after the meal for a good snooze.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.