Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAA A340 economy experience?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2024, 5:10 am
ATD
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Delta Skymiles, Continental Onepass, etc.
SAA A340 economy experience?

We're booked to fly SAA from JNB-PER in May on the A340 in Y. Just wondering if anyone's flown their A340s or taken any long-haul flights with SAA recently (especially in economy) and if you have an idea of what we could expect from them onboard in terms of meals, entertainment, amenities, comfort, service, etc.
Thanks!

--ATD
Old Mar 8, 2024, 1:19 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
Originally Posted by ATD
We're booked to fly SAA from JNB-PER in May on the A340 in Y. Just wondering if anyone's flown their A340s or taken any long-haul flights with SAA recently (especially in economy) and if you have an idea of what we could expect from them onboard in terms of meals, entertainment, amenities, comfort, service, etc.
Thanks!

--ATD
I’m not certain, but I think you might struggle to find people with recent experience of the SAA A343s, as they have not flown very much in the last five years.

What I can say is that even pre-pandemic the onboard hard product was dated. The A346s were better maintained because they flew less, but the A343s and A342s were not great. IFE is dated; often doesn’t work. The seats were also dated (though in Y, that’s sometimes a good thing). There has been no press regarding a recent retrofit.

I have flown SAA (at gunpoint, lol) in J recently and the service was friendly (generally always was), the food was average (generally always was). The overall experience is no better or worse than it was in 2019 and prior. YMMV.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by ATD
Service standard is pretty much the same as it always was - down to the same menu still being served out of JNB. Entertainment is iffy - the A340 (there is only one left) has always had problems and a lot of stuff is frequently just left alone rather than fixed. Plan for alternatives and be pleasantly surprised if it works. But service has never been SAA's problem - they have always delivered a decent quality product even at the depths of their other issues.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 4:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ATD
Thanks!

--ATD
I am almost certain you will be flying in the 330 by then.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 12:29 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by fjacobs
I am almost certain you will be flying in the 330 by then.
I just flew the 330 in economy to Brazil, was great - two full meal services on a day flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.