Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New JNB Intl SAA Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2024, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
New JNB Intl SAA Lounge

Posting from the new SAA Lounge at OR Tambo International (It's upstairs opposite the BA Lounge, beside Emirates ) How long has this been here ? .. it's pretty amazing !

Very impressive space (once you get in, entrance corridor is a bit strange after the reception desk ) .. looks very new indeed .. Loads of space, great views .. barista coffee, bar tenders .. good buffet spread .. meeting rooms .. really impressive
Old Jan 9, 2024, 7:25 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Posting from the new SAA Lounge at OR Tambo International (It's upstairs opposite the BA Lounge, beside Emirates ) How long has this been here ? .. it's pretty amazing !

Very impressive space (once you get in, entrance corridor is a bit strange after the reception desk ) .. looks very new indeed .. Loads of space, great views .. barista coffee, bar tenders .. good buffet spread .. meeting rooms .. really impressive
The lounge has been there for as long as I can remember. It has been refurbished recently and only re-opened end of last year I think. Much better than it used to be.
EvilDoctorK likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
I think I had a very old memory of it being downstairs ( probably 10 years + ago )

Newly refurbished space is amazing .. only issue i think is that the bar is understaffed .. they've got loads of floor staff ( far too many ) cleaning up .. but there's no self service for drinks ( even coffee/soft drinks) and only 2 staff at the bar .. that's going to be a problem if its busy ( wasn't at all busy mid afternoon on Monday)
Old Jan 14, 2024, 8:03 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by IntrepidAfrican2
The lounge has been there for as long as I can remember. It has been refurbished recently and only re-opened end of last year I think. Much better than it used to be.
It was under construction but mostly open this past August. We were there prior to the early AM Ethiopian departure. The buffet was a bit minimal. But I would look forward to a return visit on our next trip though JNB.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
It was under construction but mostly open this past August. We were there prior to the early AM Ethiopian departure. The buffet was a bit minimal. But I would look forward to a return visit on our next trip though JNB.
I might have been August, yes. I only ever used to go up there because of the EK lounge and that only re-opened end of last year, so only saw the refurbished SAA lounge then.

The food there was always sparse, so wouldn’t expect that to change.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 1:59 am
Original Poster

The food there was always sparse, so wouldn’t expect that to change.
Food offering ( mid afternoon ) was pretty good a week ago .. few warm dishes as well as a very large range of salads / cold things ... pretty extensive offering and quality looked okay ... Only really obvious issue I would say was the 'compulsory' staffed bar for any sort of drink .. that's going to be an issue at busy times ... They've an insane amount of staff walking the floor cleaning used plates/dishes but the bar is quite small and only had two staff on .. that ratio of staffing looked a bit odd !
Old Jan 15, 2024, 12:09 pm

Food offering ( mid afternoon ) was pretty good a week ago .. few warm dishes as well as a very large range of salads / cold things ... pretty extensive offering and quality looked okay ... Only really obvious issue I would say was the 'compulsory' staffed bar for any sort of drink .. that's going to be an issue at busy times ... They've an insane amount of staff walking the floor cleaning used plates/dishes but the bar is quite small and only had two staff on .. that ratio of staffing looked a bit odd !
Sounds about the same then. Sparse to me, but my point of reference is the EK lounge, where I can eat enough to pass on the on-board meal.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Sounds about the same then. Sparse to me, but my point of reference is the EK lounge, where I can eat enough to pass on the on-board meal.
Yeah we're not talking BA Concorde Room or AA Flagship dining type thing .. but above average lounge food offering I'd say and better than my expectation .. certainly better than the 3rd party lounge downstairs on the way to the higher number A gates !
Old Jan 18, 2024, 6:29 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
From experience, the way to ensure it isn't an issue at busy times is to give the guys a decent tip with your first drink (and remember, this is SA and not USA, so a decent tip is maybe R50 if feeling flush, so $3).
They are then *very* attentive for the rest of your stay
Old Feb 12, 2024, 10:02 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Does Airlink Business class entail use of this lounge?
Old Feb 13, 2024, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by safari_7
No.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 1:37 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by safari_7
Originally Posted by B747-437B
No.
4Z provides access to the Shongololo lounge for international C pax at JNB
B747-437B likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.