Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > South African Airways | Voyager
Reload this Page >

Strike action on Friday 15 November 2019 onwards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strike action on Friday 15 November 2019 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2019, 1:46 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
SAA to go into business rescue,.....

https://www.fin24.com/Companies/Indu...rders-20191204
Old Dec 7, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: LH Senator BA Silver
Originally Posted by mercedeslt
I'm trying to closely follow any updates/news regarding SAA, we have multiple flights coming up in a couple weeks that had been booked months ago since we are traveling during festive season. We have 1 flight booked with SAA Johannesburg to Livingstone which I know was cancelled throughout the strike so if things collapse I'm sure that would be impacted. It looked like the Airlink flights, however, were not impacted. Would these flights be completely separate from SAA if it collapsed? I was able to find a backup option with British Air if needed for the Livingstone flight, but I have no idea about possible backup options for our Cape Town-Skukuza-JNB flights that are currently booked with Airlink. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, or is there a sense that if anything falls apart it wouldn't happen as quickly as the next few weeks hopefully?!
You will be fine with any of the Airlink flights. Though they cooperate with SAA and use their booking engine, Airlink is a completely independent company. And a profitable one. I have several Airlink flights later this month and am not concerned about those. I did, however, book me a refundable ticket on BA's Comair on a JNB-CPT route in case my SAA flight falls apart. To that end, you may want to seriously consider booking Comair (BA) for your JNB to Livingstone trip. I actually flew Comair on that route a few years ago and all was fine..
Old Dec 7, 2019, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by thijsseh
SAA to go into business rescue,.....

https://www.fin24.com/Companies/Indu...rders-20191204
As I understand it, "business rescue" is a process whereby an "independent" entity takes stock of the company's situation and reaches a decision on whether the business can reasonably remain viable in the future and how best to ensure the optimal return for shareholders and creditors.

How "independent" this entity will be remains to be seen.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Well, as an update: Just got back from Russia and I need to go to Harare tomorrow. As I mentioned earlier, some travel agents (well, who uses them), and several insurance company's are not supporting SAA tickets. As a result, prices have climbed to silly levels, to the extent that I ended up booking BA (Comair) in J class for around ZAR 900 more than a return Y class ticket would have cost.

Spoke to a friend of mine yesterday, and his parents are coming out from Harare to JNB tomorrow for the holidays, and, since they booked several weeks ago, their TWO Y class tickets (together) on BA were still cheaper than my one. They came in at around ZAR 10 000 for two tickets return. Just shows what the SAA issue has done to pricing.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:35 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
I flew back JNB-FRA last week on SAA (only booked the week before, reckoned that once they had been in business rescue for a few days that nothing was going to happen immediately) - pretty full flight, but mostly tourists and families moving for the holidays, so probably booked well in advance. I spoke to the cabin crew briefly, mentioned that I hoped that it would work out okay for them, and they were very confident / blase / naive (delete as you think fit) that all would be fine.

I have noticed that ebookers are no longer offering SAA options on their flight plus hotel 'holidays' ex-UK, which is only the second time in the six years that I've been looking that that has happened. I won't be booking on SAA again until the administrator has made some announcements about his plans.

[PS roadwarrier - Foundry is now my favourite pub in JHB!)
Old Dec 19, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac

[PS roadwarrier - Foundry is now my favourite pub in JHB!)

I wish it were just that much closer to my home......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.