Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > South African Airways | Voyager
Reload this Page >

Transit in JNB + baggage interlining question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Accor, IHG, LH, BAEC, DB

I'm flying VIE-FRA-JNB on LH in C, arriving at 9:25 am. On a different ticket, I continue on to CPT in Y, flying SAA. The flight JNB-CPT departs at 12:10.

Two quick questions:

1.) Do I have enough time to go through immigration and to switch terminals?
(I'm Austrian, I don't have a visum.)

2.) Does LH have a baggage interlining agreement with SAA that allows me to have the baggage checked through to my final destination, CPT?

(I am aware that I need to follow the most restrictive baggage rules. Those will be the ones applying to the Y ticket JNB-CPT.)

Thanks
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:35 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
1) Plenty; worst case I've had recently (1 hour wait at immigration) I still had time for a shower in the domestic lounge before a flight with a scheduled 2 hour connection

2) Not sure but probably, given they are both *A. However, you will still have to collect bags and clear customs at JNB, then recheck, so it's rather moot.

Lots of info on connecting at JNB in the Africa forum
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Accor, IHG, LH, BAEC, DB
Stewie,

Thank you for clarifying! I wasn't sure if I need to clear customs in JNB. Will look into the Africa subforum, haven't been there for a while.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Just following on from what Stewie said you will have to recheck your bag thus meaning no interlining. This is due to you having to clear customs at JNB , they have a really neat setup for all international arriving paxs into JNB who are connecting onto SAA. When leaving the immigration hall you will see a load of SAA reconnection counters , so no need to work your way through the crowd and go to the really busy SAA domestic check in counters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.