Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > South African Airways | Voyager
Reload this Page >

Basics of using Voyager miles on Star Alliance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2016, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAA Voyager

Hi Everyone,

I am a bit new to this, have used my miles to fly SAA to Europe and back but I am having trouble getting to Vancouver.

So here is my questions.

1. I am trying to get to Vancouver and back 3 March 2017 and 20 March Respectively. But SAA has no flights available and neither does their partners, or so I am told, I have phoned about 5 times over the past 2 months.

2. Is it that the partner airlines only release their seats closer to the actual date and thus more seats will become available closer to the time?

3. Can I only search for flights like these through the SAA Voyager call center or is there another way?

It feels that unless I fly SAA there are almost no flights available through partners.

Thank you in Advance.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 1:57 am

Hello Decsus and welcome to FT!

The easiest way to search for *A redemptions is to use UA's website (right on the homepage, select "search for award travel"), or sign up with Aeroplan and use their engine.

I can see plenty of availability for two people in economy on the dates you mention, as well as some availability in business (but not much). Flexibility with dates and routings is required when using miles.

What is very important, when you call Voyager to book, don't ask them "I would like to fly from JNB to YVR on these dates". Say "I want to book flights SAXXX, LHXXX, ACXXX on these dates", i.e. spoonfeed what you found on UA and AC's websites to the agent. If flights show up on both these search engines, there is a 99% certainty Voyager will be able to see (and book) them as well.

Good luck!
Old Oct 3, 2016, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAA Voyager
Thank you so much for this info.

Seems that they could find some of the flights I mentioned.

But if I try to be a bit more creative they seem to have a problem with it.

Say I want to fly JNB - FRA then FRA - YVR
They say I have to fork out points for the Europe region as well, is that the case usually?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Decsus
Say I want to fly JNB - FRA then FRA - YVR
They say I have to fork out points for the Europe region as well, is that the case usually?
These rules are really program dependent. If you see here, you'll notice that there is a rule that says:
Star Alliance Award Rules:

Award flights are permitted for round/return trip travel on scheduled flights operated by Star Alliance carriers.
Most direct route must be used, additional award Miles will be required should the journey not be based on the most direct route.
For Award reservations made more than 96 hours before scheduled flight departure time, the ticketing time limit must be less than or equal to 72 hours from the time the reservation was made.
For Award reservations made 96 hours or less before scheduled flight departure time, the ticketing time limit must be less than or equal to 24 hours from the time the reservation was made.
A maximum of six travel segments are allowed per itinerary (including RSA domestic add on sectors).
A maximum of four travel segments are allowed per itinerary (excluding RSA domestic add on sectors).
The outbound and return portion of your journey must be booked at the same time.
Reservations must be confirmed at time of booking.
Waitlisting is not permitted.
Reservations and ticketing can only be done through South African Airways offices.
When travel involves more than one carrier, all airlines must be Star Alliance carriers.
Star Alliance Awards are not permitted if the reservation includes SAA sectors only.
If Award travel is booked in a variety of booking classes i.e. a combination of Economy, Business and First class, then Miles for the highest class of travel must be redeemed.
No stopovers are allowed for purely Domestic travel or if the itinerary includes European cities only.
No stopovers permitted on Awards used within the USA only. USA routes within the 51 states of America.
One Stopover is permitted in addition to the point of turnaround for intercontinental travel only. (A stopover is a lapse of more than 24 hours between your arrival and departure at any transfer point) Exceptions may exist in some countries where a stopover is determined within 24 hours.
Backtracking is not permitted. (routing cannot include the same city more than once in each direction) Travel must be via the most direct routing.
Travel is subject to the blackout dates and capacity control of individual Star Alliance carriers.
Only one open jaw per Award is permitted but must return to country of origin (valid on intercontinental Sectors only).
Voyager rules apply for ticket validity/date of booking/Award changes, refunds etc.
Since you could easily fly JNB-XXX-YVR where XXX is in north america, you are not using the most direct route and therefore you are basically asked to buy two awards, one for south africa to europe, and then europe to north america.

Other programs like for example Miles and More have a "3 region award" that is triggered in these situations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.