Wiki Posts
Search

SAA's new A320-200

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA BD SA
SAA's new A320-200

According to a newsletter received from Voyager, SAA will be introducing new A320-200 aircraft on the JNB-CPT route from 9 August. They will have an entirely new interior including a 2-2 configuration in J. The tantalising little picture shows a very smart looking cabin.

I see on KVS that the flights are loaded - so if you want to be among the first to try one out you can identify the times they (well, it, for the time being) will be flying.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I saw this a/c loaded on the route , but opted for the more exotic (for me) A340

Should be exciting
Old Aug 7, 2013, 5:18 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, BA Silver, HHonors Diamond
any images yet? 8-)
Old Oct 12, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, EK Gold
I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the new interior during a recent flight. Surprisingly comfortable seats despite being slimline. Leather interior throughout (Y & J).

I've added a few quick pics.

Old Oct 12, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I have a CPT-JNB flight in J coming up in January on this plane. Looks better than the A319 (which was our alternative option) from these pics, thanks for sharing.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 1:42 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by dvs7310
I have a CPT-JNB flight in J coming up in January on this plane. Looks better than the A319 (which was our alternative option) from these pics, thanks for sharing.
Before you get too excited about this:
SAA do very frequent equipent changes on the JNB/CPT route.
I had a LHR/JNB/CPT (in J) booked for last week (booked it in December last year, I think). When I booked it, it was a 346. Sometime during July or August I noticed it had changed to the new A320. Cool, I thought, nice to get a chance to see this new A/C.
We ended up on a 738....
Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by kobuse
I've added a few quick pics.
Thanks! ^

If this is the start of SA introducing 2-2 in J across its domestic/regional fleet then it really ups the ante for Comair. Their latest addition, a B737-800, has 3-3 throughout Y and J - but with the middle seat left vacant in J. So Comair has more flexibility to expand/contract the J cabin and maximise revenue that way - but I think SA's new hard product will be more attractive.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 10:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Thanks! ^

If this is the start of SA introducing 2-2 in J across its domestic/regional fleet then it really ups the ante for Comair. Their latest addition, a B737-800, has 3-3 throughout Y and J - but with the middle seat left vacant in J. So Comair has more flexibility to expand/contract the J cabin and maximise revenue that way - but I think SA's new hard product will be more attractive.
I'm not sure if its outlined on FT much- but I did have a Comair PLZ-JNB segment in August, and noticed some seats had a bit more padding towards the front of the a/c. Compared to the most narrow pitch I've encountered on a plane- the A340 of SA. Seems its possible to sit in those seats depending on when you select seating. So on Comair one maybe can get narrower seats in Biz, but if Y, a better experience.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 1:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by beckoa
So on Comair one maybe can get narrower seats in Biz, but if Y, a better experience.
Business on SAA kicks Comair's .... In economy it might to aircraft dependent at the moment, SAA's 319's and 320's are great but the 738's are tired. The 738's are only being refurbished when they move over to Mango. Comair's new 738's are also nice but the rest of the fleet is also tired. That said, I would take the new SAA 320's over Comair's 738's.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I flew this A320 JNB-MRU and was pleasantly surprised. There is a space for an entertainment system in the back of the seat, but nothing was provided.

Is this the only A320 with the new seating or will older aircraft be updated with this interior?

I was also surprised that printed menus were not handed out. Has this been discontinued?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I flew this A320 JNB-MRU and was pleasantly surprised. There is a space for an entertainment system in the back of the seat, but nothing was provided.

Is this the only A320 with the new seating or will older aircraft be updated with this interior?

I was also surprised that printed menus were not handed out. Has this been discontinued?
Why are the SA seatback screens not always used?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:47 pm

Will be doing lots if flights to and within South Africa over the next year, will look out for this aircraft type. I've done SAA's 737 and A319 on regional flights and both have been relatively good experiences. Food was hit or miss, and seat was recliner both times, but great crew.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.