Wiki Posts
Search

SAA's financial woes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:26 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by evanb
So no, it doesn't cost more to fly to Mauritius than the USA. I would respectfully suggest that stop making up things to suit your narrative to avoid people believing that you're living in the basement with more booze and cocaine.
9180 jnb-nyc on ek, 5284 jnb-mru on sa. yes, flying to mauritius is cheaper. but mauritus is one 4.5 hour flight.

if you think sa is not a mismanaged money pit, wow. yes, a lot of that comes down to national policy (like increasing taxes then giving all politicians higher travel allowances so they are shielded from this), but sa is in fact a parastatal. and it's an obnoxious one to deal with, like telkom, eskom. and it's an airline that has made numerous blunders that are a deeper disservice to africans. like handing its cptlhr milk run slots to ba.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by cur
9180 jnb-nyc on ek, 5284 jnb-mru on sa. yes, flying to mauritius is cheaper. but mauritus is one 4.5 hour flight.
And the point that you're making by comparing EK to SA prices on different routes is? It might suggest that SA are making some money during the Mauritian tourist high-season. Are you suggesting that they lower their prices well below Air Mauritius just because EK are selling NYC for cheap? The headhunters must be after you to be the next big airline CEO!

Originally Posted by cur
if you think sa is not a mismanaged money pit, wow. yes, a lot of that comes down to national policy (like increasing taxes then giving all politicians higher travel allowances so they are shielded from this), but sa is in fact a parastatal. and it's an obnoxious one to deal with, like telkom, eskom. and it's an airline that has made numerous blunders that are a deeper disservice to africans. like handing its cptlhr milk run slots to ba.
And where do I make any suggestion that SA isn't? The point is that you seemingly have to make things up to make your point, which is as obnoxious as those that you criticize.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:11 am

New crisis for SAA

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40813582
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
Feels like the same one all over again. .
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:27 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Feels like the same one all over again. .
And it will continue again and again. I have - for a number of reasons - given up on SAA a few years ago. Very happy with EK for international- and with BA for local and intra European travel.
As an RSA tax payer I object to the continued pouring of funds on this and other SOEs, but what can you do? Bunch of incompetent 'grabbers '.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Bunch of incompetent 'grabbers '.
That's rather unfair!!

They are extremely competent 'grabbers'. Except I would use a different word...
Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:25 am

A lot of money required..

https://www.ttgmedia.com//news/news/...nkruptcy-11137
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:53 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
UA has a lot of SA award business class availability for next summer. Lay flats from US to JNB. I'm guessing this would be a bad idea! I wouldn't want the last minute scramble trying to replace 3 seats....

Thoughts?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by Ericka
UA has a lot of SA award business class availability for next summer. Lay flats from US to JNB. I'm guessing this would be a bad idea! I wouldn't want the last minute scramble trying to replace 3 seats....

Thoughts?
The South African government have signal their intent to keep SA flying. Also, if the ticket is issued on UA stock they would have no rebook you, no?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by evanb
The South African government have signal their intent to keep SA flying. Also, if the ticket is issued on UA stock they would have no rebook you, no?
It's reassuring you think the government will keep SA flying. I know when UA filed bankruptcy, it did not change the day to day experience for customers.

My concern is if SA were to start shutting down certain services or routes, I would have to find 3 business class ticket replacements....UA would help...but can only give me what's available. It could be very stressful if it came to that.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ericka
My concern is if SA were to start shutting down certain services or routes
SAA to cancel ‘a number of routes’

Johan
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
I guess we'll find out soon!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
To me the most alarming part of that report is this:
The public Investment Corporation has been listed by SAA as a possible source of the approximately R13,2bn (€833 million) they will need over a five-year period, as well as for R6bn (€379 million) in 2018.
Tapping the PIC as a source of captive funding would be a huge leap onto the slippery slope of using retirement fund monies to shore up wasteful, corrupt public enterprises. It would indicate that nothing is safe in ZA investments and would likely be followed by the re-introduction of prescribed investments etc. And bang goes any chance of recovering our credit rating.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
To me the most alarming part of that report is this:

Tapping the PIC as a source of captive funding would be a huge leap onto the slippery slope of using retirement fund monies to shore up wasteful, corrupt public enterprises. It would indicate that nothing is safe in ZA investments and would likely be followed by the re-introduction of prescribed investments etc. And bang goes any chance of recovering our credit rating.
Looks like they're selling Telkom to the PIC:

​​​​PIC may buy into Telkom to save SAA

http://www.fin24.com/Economy/South-Africa/pic-may-buy-into-telkom-to-save-saa-20170825?

So not really misappropriation of retirement fund money and in fact a good deal for PIC as government seems to be selling at a discount.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:07 pm

More Money for SAA

http://www.tourismupdate.co.za/artic...-appropriation

National Treasury has agreed to give SAA a special appropriation of R10bn by the end of September, Director General, Dondo Mogajane, told MPs on Wednesday (September 13).

“It will be for R10bn, we have decided, because that will cover everything,” he said during a briefing on the ailing airline’s latest quarterly results to Parliament’s standing committee on finance.

The bill is due to be tabled in a special sitting and Mogajane said he hoped that the legislature would agree to the measure, adding that Treasury would be forced to look at a “Plan B” if MPs refused to support it.

He said nine lenders had agreed to roll over debt that would become due at the end of the month, while Citibank has agreed to roll over a portion of the R1,761bn the loss-making airline is due to repay by September 30.

SAA relies on government guarantees of R20bn and needed government help in July to cover its debt. Treasury paid R2,2bn to Standard Chartered earlier this year, with money taken from government’s emergency fund.

Treasury’s announcement follows much speculation about the form of further financial aid to the airline, following a leak of a proposal to sell Telkom’s shares to recapitalise SAA.

Mogajane said the bill would not be linked to the proposed sale, which would raise an estimated R14bn.

The briefing saw SAA confirm that none of the five assumptions on which it has based its turnaround strategy had materialised.

These were SAA being a going concern, debtors extending terms for a minimum of three years, government giving a capital injection of at least R13 billion over three years, as well as the retiring of five excess wide-body aircraft and the retention of all the narrow-body aircraft in its fleet.

One of its narrow-body aircraft has been retired and five more would follow by the end of the month.

This will lead to a reduction of 37% of its share of the local market and four percent of the international market.

There's an old-ish quote in the USA. "A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon, you're talking real money."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.