Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BEWARE -- SAA 340-300 not all the same!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Not true. The J seats are not new. They are (almost) flat though.

This is an accurate description of the J cabin I experienced last week from LHR. (There was an equipment change a few days before departure.)

I would add that the temperature in the rear J cabin was freezing all the way. Cabin crew were unable to do anything about it and seemed well aware of the need to get everyone's duvets down asap after take off. I slept in a scarf to keep my neck warm.

The IFE was pretty dodgy too. The purser spent ages rebooting the system for several seats. The moving map didn't work on mine or my partner's IFE. No idea if it works at all on these craft. His headphone connection was worked out and he had to carefully position the plug half-in, half-out for it to make contact.

My seat had a strange defect that caused the footrest to suddenly sag when it reached full extension. So had to fiddle a bit to get maximum flatness.

All in all I would avoid these craft in J where possible. Too many things seem to be going wrong with the hard product.
Have an A343 scheduled on an upcoming JNB-CPT leg, hoping for a nice cabin.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by FlyPI
It is not the lie-flat at an angle type seat (i.e. LH) that you slide out of and wake-up on the floor.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:52 pm

Not sure if I'm totally out of the loop here, but having an upcoming (September) trip to SA that includes the JNB-IAD leg, I went searching for an update.

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Just finished a JNB-IAD trip in Economy on one of these former Iberia planes. It's pretty inexcusable that SAA is using these planes on a 17 hour flight.

The pitch in economy can't be more than 32". Probably closer to 31". For a 17 hour flight.

Until they get rid of these planes, I'll be flying through Europe. The shorter flight isn't worth the risk of being crammed into these seats.
My flight - and the few days around my travel dates that I searched now show the 332 (330-200) on this route, which, assuming Peppep is correct, is a very good thing.

Originally Posted by Peppep
Yes, the 332s are just two years old (compared to the 8-15 year old 343s), with better IFE screens. I believe the seats are identical or close to, both are fully flat. I'd definitely choose the 332, all else being equal.

Any update on where the ex-IB 340-300's are being deployed now?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
The plan is for SAA to deploy the A330-200 on JNB-DKR-IAD. However, the two Iberia A340-300s have had their interiors upgraded. The product is now consistent with the rest of the fleet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.