Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BEWARE -- SAA 340-300 not all the same!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American Gold AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
Have both ex-Iberia 343s been refitted yet? Looks like there was a confirmed sighting of this black sheep last January.

Little jittery that IRROPs could force one of these into IAD, when I travel to JNB in May.

Both of the ex-Iberia A340-300's have been refurbished more to SAA's standards. New seats with AVOD in Economy Class. The Premium Business Class seats are the same Iberia seats, but with new / updated AVOD. The Premium Business Class seat is basically flat, although the back is raised slightly, which I did not mind cause I like sleeping that way. It is not the lie-flat at an angle type seat (i.e. LH) that you slide out of and wake-up on the floor. SAA has also introduced a new mattress pad in Premium Business Class, in addition to the nice duvet, which helps to smooth out the seat a little to make it more comfortable. Overall these airplanes look fairly new with the refurbishment. I actually took it to / from IAD, so I think it is regulary scheduled on that route.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Thanks for the info. Good enough for me with the updated AVOD and the mattress pad. I hope the tail has been painted with the SAA logo too.

- Pat
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Interesting that a year later – this post is only on page 2 – despite promises that the aircraft would be fixed by August last year.

Been flying Delta for the last year flights are full next week – so considering giving SAA a try again, against my better judgment.

I see from the seat maps on EF that every-other-day there is a different seat map on the IAD flight to JNB, and the SAA website still has the “not 180, slightly offset” wording.

What exactly can I expect from the “refurbished” aircraft?

- Are the cloth Iberia seats replaced by SAA blue or brown leather?
- Does the IFE match those of the A330 or the “standard” A340’s?
- Does the seat now go 180 fully flat?
- Have the tired worn out Iberia bathroom modules been replaced as well?

Hope someone has flown one of these aircraft recently and can let me know.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Response from SAAUSA today:

Dear Mr.

Thank you for your continued correspondence.

Yes, all 340-300’s have flatbeds and the touch screen on demand IFE. In regards to the seat type, the seats are blue leather. I hope this information was helpful.

Have a wonderful day and thanks again for choosing South African Airways for your travel needs.

Best regards,

Support Services | North America
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: AA PLT, CC Concierge, A3*G
Does all the 343s and 346s have the same product in business now (both seat quality and AVOD)? I can't decide whether to choose FRA-JNB on the 346 or MUC-JNB on the 343 (unfortunately the 332 isn't an option, as there is no availability on LHR-JNB on my dates).
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC 100K, AC 2MM, SAS Diamond, AA P; Avis CM
Same product. The only difference is the cabin layout: 343 the business cabin is split in two (4:3) by the galley/lav; 346 one cabin with galley/lav at the rear.

There's a bit more breathing space in the 346 but the rear cabin in the 343 are the only flights I've had with them where I've had two seats to myself.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by YYZHRE
Same product. The only difference is the cabin layout: 343 the business cabin is split in two (4:3) by the galley/lav; 346 one cabin with galley/lav at the rear.

There's a bit more breathing space in the 346 but the rear cabin in the 343 are the only flights I've had with them where I've had two seats to myself.
Great, thanks for the quick feedback. I just booked the 346 flight, which was a bit more convenient (and my first 346 flight as well).
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:05 am

Any difference between the 330-200 and the 340-300 on the LHR-JNB flight (business class)? The flights leave 2 hours apart so timing isn't really a factor.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by SidewinderX
Any difference between the 330-200 and the 340-300 on the LHR-JNB flight (business class)? The flights leave 2 hours apart so timing isn't really a factor.
Yes, the 332s are just two years old (compared to the 8-15 year old 343s), with better IFE screens. I believe the seats are identical or close to, both are fully flat. I'd definitely choose the 332, all else being equal.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat, A3 Gold
This has been discussed in a few threads over the years. Below is one:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...es-matter.html
Old Nov 29, 2013, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Just finished a JNB-IAD trip in Economy on one of these former Iberia planes. It's pretty inexcusable that SAA is using these planes on a 17 hour flight.

The pitch in economy can't be more than 32". Probably closer to 31". For a 17 hour flight.

Until they get rid of these planes, I'll be flying through Europe. The shorter flight isn't worth the risk of being crammed into these seats.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: SA Voyager, Ek Skywards
Hi guys looking for some help. I flew SA281 on the 05/09/2012 on an A343. im looking for the registration of the aircraft if anyone can help me. I have a picture of the seat (which wasnt the standard blue seat) which leads me to think its most likely ZS-SXG/H.

Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Just finished a JNB-IAD trip in Economy on one of these former Iberia planes. It's pretty inexcusable that SAA is using these planes on a 17 hour flight.

The pitch in economy can't be more than 32". Probably closer to 31". For a 17 hour flight.

Until they get rid of these planes, I'll be flying through Europe. The shorter flight isn't worth the risk of being crammed into these seats.
I'll be on IAD-JNB in a few months and I think I'm on one of these ex Iberia planes. I really hope it's not as bad as you say. I got an unbelievable deal so I guess I can't complain that much!
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
What's the latest word on checking to see if a flight is scheduled to have the exIberia plane? I'm flying SA207 JNB-IAD in business. I checked the economy seat map on SA's website. Don't see a row 57 listed. Does that mean the currently scheduled plane is a standard SA aircraft?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:20 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by FlyPI
I understand that both the ex-Iberia Airbus A340-300's have been refurbished to the SAA standard, including new seats with AVOD in both Premium Business and Economy Class.
Not true. The J seats are not new. They are (almost) flat though.

Originally Posted by FlyPI
Both of the ex-Iberia A340-300's have been refurbished more to SAA's standards. New seats with AVOD in Economy Class. The Premium Business Class seats are the same Iberia seats, but with new / updated AVOD. The Premium Business Class seat is basically flat, although the back is raised slightly, which I did not mind cause I like sleeping that way. It is not the lie-flat at an angle type seat (i.e. LH) that you slide out of and wake-up on the floor. SAA has also introduced a new mattress pad in Premium Business Class, in addition to the nice duvet, which helps to smooth out the seat a little to make it more comfortable. Overall these airplanes look fairly new with the refurbishment. I actually took it to / from IAD, so I think it is regulary scheduled on that route.
This is an accurate description of the J cabin I experienced last week from LHR. (There was an equipment change a few days before departure.)

I would add that the temperature in the rear J cabin was freezing all the way. Cabin crew were unable to do anything about it and seemed well aware of the need to get everyone's duvets down asap after take off. I slept in a scarf to keep my neck warm.

The IFE was pretty dodgy too. The purser spent ages rebooting the system for several seats. The moving map didn't work on mine or my partner's IFE. No idea if it works at all on these craft. His headphone connection was worked out and he had to carefully position the plug half-in, half-out for it to make contact.

My seat had a strange defect that caused the footrest to suddenly sag when it reached full extension. So had to fiddle a bit to get maximum flatness.

All in all I would avoid these craft in J where possible. Too many things seem to be going wrong with the hard product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.