Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South African Airlines (JFK-JNB)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2012, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by gonezen
All of the foregoing has been really helpful. The wife and I have a trip to Southern Africa planned for next March/April with time spent in both CPT and JNB. Just wondering: what is the best way to get from the airports in each city to the Hilton Hotel in each city? Also, why does there seem to be a preference for the flight to JNB from JFK or IAD? From ORD a stop in LHR or FRA seems to break the trip up nicely. I'm talking about coach travel now. UA to and from Europe nonstop, then SAA the rest of the way.
I second the comment about the direct flight being the shortest travel time but having flown 'both' options many times it's a toss-up, with my choice usually being decided by the ticket costs (usually the SAA direct is a bit more than through the UK or EU).

The best way from the airport to the Hilton in JNB is probably the Gautrain (12 minute trip - tickets are R115 p/p) then the free Hilton shuttle from the station. CPT I'm not sure as I don't travel there often.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Deleted post.

Last edited by Ahmed777; Dec 7, 2013 at 12:06 pm
Old Apr 2, 2013, 8:27 pm

Just wanted to add a data point here. Thanks to everyone else who has added information about JNB-JFK/IAD flights.

I just booked J class award JNB-JFK-IAD 19 days out. Had been watching for this nearly daily since November when I originally booked JNB-FRA-IAD in X. I was disappointed nothing showed up 30 days out as some have reported, and was hoping something would pop up 14 days out. Instead, checked .bomb on a whim and saw availability 19 days out. Looks like it may have been 1 or 2 seats, because after I changed my flight ($75 change fee, no status) flight still showed available for a couple hours then was gone. Not sure if it takes that long to update inventory, or if someone else also got lucky.

My original flights (JNB-FRA-IAD on LH) never showed up when searching the route again after changing.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 12:02 am

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
I'm showing no C availability whatsoever for JFK or IAD-JNB for basically all of 2014 past spring on ANA. Am I using the tool incorrectly or is it a wasteland?
Old Nov 16, 2013, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by blueheronNC
I'm showing no C availability whatsoever for JFK or IAD-JNB for basically all of 2014 past spring on ANA. Am I using the tool incorrectly or is it a wasteland?
JFK and IAD to JNB are the two single, least available routes on SA. I don't expect them to release space, since many people are paying for these flights, even in business. Like you, i've spent time searching. This past spring I saw a few dates open, but dates were very inconvenient for me
Old Nov 25, 2013, 1:41 pm

I'm looking to book JFK - JNB RT for summer 2014 (either June or July). I've earned enough miles through US for 2 Business class tickets on any *A carrier and am hoping to figure out the itinerary with the safari company over the next 30 days. Once I'm just about clear I can start to figure out the exact dates.

Is there anything in particular that I should know about this process? I've already discussed a bit with the *A board but thought this board might have some details I'll need to know.

One other question - it looks like there is only Business class on this flight. Is that the case or is there an F class?
Old Nov 25, 2013, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by VLtone
I'm looking to book JFK - JNB RT for summer 2014 (either June or July). I've earned enough miles through US for 2 Business class tickets on any *A carrier and am hoping to figure out the itinerary with the safari company over the next 30 days. Once I'm just about clear I can start to figure out the exact dates.

Is there anything in particular that I should know about this process? I've already discussed a bit with the *A board but thought this board might have some details I'll need to know.

One other question - it looks like there is only Business class on this flight. Is that the case or is there an F class?
Indeed, I think all of SA long-haul aircraft are in a two class configuration. But they're business class is nice with lie-flat seats and generally great service. I don't have any advice safari wise, but would recommend you visit Cape Town while you're in SA.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 4:25 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by VLtone

Your main problem may well be the availability of award J seats on the USA/JNB route (originating either from IAD or JFK). Not very often available.... And if / when they are, they get snapped up quickly.
So you may have to fly via Europe on LH, LX, TK (for instance). Which have no great award availability either (TK maybe better than the others, but I have not tried this for a long time so it may have changed), but its an extra option. And LH use the A380 on the FRA/JNB route, which may be an additional attraction.

The SA J product is superior to LH though (IMHO). LH and LX do have F, SA does not as cardinalkid1891 has already confirmed.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 7:53 am

Thanks for the responses guys. Yes, I'm aware that the SAA JFK - JNB flight is difficult to come by for award tickets as it's the only direct flight available on *A. Hoping I can still get it but if not maybe I can still go through a different carrier.

I would hate to see a lot of planning and miles go to waste if I can't book the trip until 2015 (after the merger when my miles are less valuable).
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: DL Plat
We just got back from SA on a trip booked through UNITED miles in J.

We found our seats (JFK > JNB) in January 2013 for our flight in mid November. Also try Turkish which has a great Business Class product.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat, A3 Gold
For anyone on the hunt for upcoming JFK-JNB awards, there are two J seats available on Jan 23.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:23 am

does SAA release award space closer to travel date like cathay?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum ; Hilton Gold; Hertz 5*, Delta DM. Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by mrahul
does SAA release award space closer to travel date like cathay?
My experience was that business seats were released exactly 30 days prior to travel date (got two b-class seats roundtrip JFK-JNB in the summer of 2012).
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:27 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I think that this is hit and miss. At times yes, but not always the case.

In an IRROP situation, I was recently put from a reward ticket from United into a paid inventory bucket SAA IAD-DKR-JNB. I had checked the reward availability while I was making my arrangements (mistakingly thinking I was going back to another reward bucket inventory and was looking for possible routes USA-JNB in business). The SAA flight had shown no award availability 18 hrs before the flight. On board, the J cabin was only 60% full. A missed opportunity for SAA as they could have had filled those seats with redeemers. We're talking about 12 empty seats here - its unlikely it was a group that changed last minute.

I've seen it turn up last minute (within 7 days of travel) on the JNB-FRA routes and JNB-HKG-JNB + JNB-PEK-JNB routes.

Last edited by worldtraveller73; Jan 23, 2014 at 7:35 pm
Old Jan 24, 2014, 4:40 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I think that this is hit and miss. At times yes, but not always the case.

The SAA flight had shown no award availability 18 hrs before the flight. On board, the J cabin was only 60% full. A missed opportunity for SAA as they could have had filled those seats with redeemers. We're talking about 12 empty seats here - its unlikely it was a group that changed last minute.

I've seen it turn up last minute (within 7 days of travel) on the JNB-FRA routes and JNB-HKG-JNB + JNB-PEK-JNB routes.
Hit and miss, thats a nice and fairly accurate description of several aspects of SAA

Yes, one would assume that they would use the opportunity of J seats going out empty to reduce the liability the outstanding Voyager miles are creating on their (extremely precarious) balance sheet.. But no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.