Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Smoking Lounge
Reload this Page >

Provision for Smokers at LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2022, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Just sitting in the Lounge at MXP awaiting what looks like may be a delayed flight to LHR.

However there's Peroni in the Fridge and a smoking room in the Lounge.

Just thinking that Heathrow has woefully inadequate smoking facilities compared to most major European Airports - why is this ?

Could more be done to facilitate smoking areas that don't impinge on other passengers wellbeing ?

Some UK Airports do , but LHR,EDI and GLA do SFA
ExpatExp, SxMan and Paolo1972 like this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
I don't smoke or vape (but would quite have liked a cigar-room annexe to the CCR!) but English law (Health Act 2006) makes it almost impossible to smoke in any enclosed or substantially enclosed premises that are used as a place of work or are open to the public.

Edit: a quick google suggests there is an area close to the Burberry shop in T4, I imagine it is outside?
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crazy8534
I would quite have liked a cigar-room annex to the CCR (!) but unfortunately English law (Health Act 2006) makes it almost impossible to smoke in any enclosed or substantially enclosed premises that are used as a place of work or are open to the public.
Perhaps it's time to revisit this Law particularly with the level of delays occurring at the moment.

Couldn't we have a rooftop terrace somewhere ?
SxMan likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Both UK and EU law makes it impossible to smoke in public enclosed areas so only outdoor spaces could be designated as smoking area and no many European airports (not only UK ones) have those once you officially “enter” the airport

edit: I think I got this wrong as the EU guideline contained possible exceptions (completely enclosed and independently ventilated area within closed space, occupying a % of total space available, etc) that some countries chose not to adopt and went for a total indoor ban like in the UK (at the time per of EU)

Last edited by marcopizzaiuolo; Sep 28, 2022 at 10:54 am
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:13 am

As a Smoker it actually doesn't bother me as I hate being in an enclosed space with lots of other smokers especially if the ventilation is poor.

I remember MAN and EMA being particularly bad, the worst being HKG.

My routine is to go to the North End outside at T5 spend about 30 minutes in the fresh air and have a couple of tabs and plane spotting.. If enough time on a connection I will exit it for it.

I think there are other things I would prefer to be in T5 first.
JD1905 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
Both UK and EU law makes it impossible to smoke in public enclosed areas so only outdoor spaces could be designated as smoking area and no many European airports (not only UK ones) have those once you officially “enter” the airport
Is Italy excluded from the EU provision ?

I am currently in a smoking Lounge inside the Airport Lounge at MXP.
marcopizzaiuolo likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cw novice
As a Smoker it actually doesn't bother me as I hate being in an enclosed space with lots of other smokers especially if the ventilation is poor.

I remember MAN and EMA being particularly bad, the worst being HKG.

My routine is to go to the North End outside at T5 spend about 30 minutes in the fresh air and have a couple of tabs and plane spotting.. If enough time on a connection I will exit it for it.

I think there are other things I would prefer to be in T5 first.
How about a rooftop terrace - no enclosed space there !!
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
Not sure about EU law but CPH has added this booth in the last few years.

Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
You should see the smoking area in HEL, seriously ventilated and immaculate.

The worst for me was BOM, one look and I managed to resist the urge.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
I don't smoke or vape (but would quite have liked a cigar-room annexe to the CCR!) but English law (Health Act 2006) makes it almost impossible to smoke in any enclosed or substantially enclosed premises that are used as a place of work or are open to the public.

Edit: a quick google suggests there is an area close to the Burberry shop in T4, I imagine it is outside?
The last time the question was asked on here FT, that I remember, it was also mentioned , that T4 airside somewhere, has an official smoking area. Maybe it's still there, like your google search turned up.

But I also dont smoke or haven't been to t4 since the early days , when it first opened.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:24 am

When smoking lounges existed in UK airports they were awful, rancid environments - good riddance!
However on the continent (or Europe - what's more pc?) they don't seem to be as bad.
Regardless banned in airports - VS lounge has an outdoor terrace but smoking isn't permitted.
nancypants and Guate87 like this.

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum

I quit a few years ago but there used to be the "cage" on the tarmac at T4.
crazyarmadillo and crazy8534 like this.

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
T2 has a smoking lounge by Gates A1-5
1Aturnleft, mikeyfly and JD1905 like this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Butts
Couldn't we have a rooftop terrace somewhere ?
Virgin Clubhouse at T3 has a rooftop terrace but no smoking allowed. The cage at T4 iand the provision at T2 are the only airside areas I'm aware of at Heathrow where you can smoke. Gatwick has the Priority Pass accessible "My Lounge" in South Terminal but it's opening hours are sporadic and I'm not going to pay £35 to access it. I'll be in transit between BA flights tomorrow at LGW and will go landside for my fix before heading airside again. More provision would be nice but seeing as the UK mantra towards smokers in public is to generally treat us as sub human scum (presumably to help us feel ostrecised enough to feel obliged to give up our filthy habbit and thus be allowed to rejoin mainstream society again), I can't see it happening anytime soon.
ExpatExp, ExpatSomchai and 81romeo like this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Sep 28, 2022 at 10:42 am
Old Sep 28, 2022, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Until maybe 2018/19 there was a smoking cage in T3 which was handy - if I’d over indulged in the lounges it was nice to go down for a cig before long haul.

Once this has gone, smoking was quite prevalent in the gents toilets - this was very noticeable before the LAS flights !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.