Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Smoking Lounge
Reload this Page >

Malta / Luqa / Airport / MLA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2017, 1:38 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum

If you have lounge access (business class, Priority Pass or cash at the door) I highly recommend the La Valette Club at MLA. The lounge has a large outdoor smoking terrace with fantastic apron views (perfect for avgeeks).
Attached Images  
Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Agreed, and have used it myself. Entry down to the left of Departures near Gate 1, and fairly clearly signposted. But surely it's part of the public Cafe, not the La Valette? At least, it was when I last used it.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:22 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by T8191
Agreed, and have used it myself. Entry down to the left of Departures near Gate 1, and fairly clearly signposted. But surely it's part of the public Cafe, not the La Valette? At least, it was when I last used it.
The cafe has its own smoking area I believe. I was referring to the lounge smoking area only (my only experience).
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by starflyergold
The cafe has its own smoking area I believe. I was referring to the lounge smoking area only (my only experience).
Ah, that's a new one on me! Our last MLA (2014) we had to go through the Cafe to reach the smoking deck area! What's the route from the La Valette now, then? The Cafe deck area was waaaaay down the Departures area, near Gate 1. Is there now a 'secret door'?

Trivia ... at least there is one!! I shall be refreshing the geography in September!
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having done a personal refresh of the facilities last week, I now understand!

There's the public smoking Terrace behind the Cafe at the left end of Departures, that I remembered, and which we checked out first ...

... and then, as you noted earlier, the VIP Lounge terrace (La Valette)on the upper floor. Elevator access from the main Departures area, near W. H. Smiths. VERY comfortable, with nicely spaced seating, Mdina Glass ashtrays no less!, and a great view of the Ramp area.

starflyergold likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As Malta starts to open up again to tourism, smokers should note that the La Valette Lounge outdoor terrace is 'temporarily [we hope] now non-smoking

Moreover, in line with the guidelines issued by the authorities to catering establishments, a table service will be introduced in lieu of the buffet option. Smoking guests may also wish to note that no smoking will be permitted on the terrace until further notice.
Source = https://lavaletteclub.com/reopening-...-vip-terminal/

From happier times!!
Old Jul 19, 2020, 4:00 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Are these the same areas

This article is dated July 1, 2020 and says smoking is permitted

https://lovinmalta.com/news/local/de...o-remain-open/

But this article dated June 16, 2020 (item 5) says no smoking allowed

https://lovinmalta.com/lifestyle/tra...en-it-reopens/
Old Jul 20, 2020, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
Are these the same areas
No, they're different!

My link refers specifically to the outside upper floor La Valette Lounge Terrace. Your articles relate to the ground floor area behind the Cafe. Clearly the Airport/Cafe has had a change of heart, for which we're grateful!

My photos from 2017 have 'gone' ... here they are again!

2017 ... the La Valette area upstairs

2017 - the Cafe area as it was.

2020 ... Cafe area now as per your 2nd link.

Old Jul 20, 2020, 9:58 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by T8191
No, they're different!

My link refers specifically to the outside upper floor La Valette Lounge Terrace. Your articles relate to the ground floor area behind the Cafe. Clearly the Airport/Cafe has had a change of heart, for which we're grateful!

My photos from 2017 have 'gone' ... here they are again!

2017 ... the La Valette area upstairs

2017 - the Cafe area as it was.

2020 ... Cafe area now as per your 2nd link.

Thanks for the clarification as I didn't want to have to put my moderator hat on and close this thread due to a default of no smoking
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 2:05 am

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, Bonvoy LT Titanium
La Vallette in Malta allows smoking again outside
T8191 and cad-spe like this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 4:26 am

Malta Airport has a smoking area at gate 1 next to the café, however if you are flying non schengen you need to use it before going through border control as you cant smoke once you are behind the immigration desks at Gates 11-15, there did used to be a smoking hut in the non schengen gate area behind the duty free shop but that has unfortunately now been removed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.