Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Smoking Lounge
Reload this Page >

Smoking in Airport Bathroom

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smoking in Airport Bathroom

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:11 am
Formerly known as caveruner17

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Burn the cigarette smoker at the stake!!!

Oh wait....

Smoking in the boys room is rude and obnoxious. It is only slightly ahead of the self-appointed hall monitors among us just itching to report the smoker to the nearest airport security ninja.
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
I'm not sure who is more annoying: those who smoke in no-smoking areas, or those who act as though their immediate death is imminent if confronted with cigarette smoke. Neither is a class of people I like to associate with.
Or that it's:

1. Illegal
2. A disgusting habit that leaves a smell many can not stand
3. Not my issue the smoker can't control themselves
4. Objects others to 2nd hand smoke
5. Makes clean up for someone else who has to try to remove the smell
6. Illegal

1 and 6 are the first and foremost the most important. The rest shows how inconsiderate they are of everyone else. If I report someone smoking, it's no different than reporting someone stealing something or a shady character in the airport.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by celle
I don't deny that smoking is a selfish addiction, but I am tired of hearing smokers vilified by the self-righteous.
Do we hear the same vilification of drunken drivers, who kill and maim more people than smokers do with their side-smoke? No, we don't.
Drunk drivers aren't vilified?

According to the CDC estimates, 41,000 deaths per year (in the US) are attributed to secondhand smoke. In 2013, a total of about 10,000 traffic deaths were caused by impaired driving.

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_stat...ted_mortality/

http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafet...factsheet.html
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Something tells me folk here crucifying smokers sure love their Colorado Cannabis!
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:51 am
Formerly known as caveruner17

Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
Something tells me folk here crucifying smokers sure love their Colorado Cannabis!
Which can be eaten as well..... Not to mention no study has linked MJ as a cause of death.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by IMOA
How would people who are so susceptible cope with walking down the street where they will be exposed to people who smoke along with all the other pollution that comes from being in a street full of pollution emission machines?
I avoid cigarette smoke outdoors by moving upwind, moving away, or holding my breath. It's generally much less of an issue in the open air where it disperses quickly.

Other air pollutants can be more of a challenge. I was visiting Denver one winter when their downtown ozone levels were high. That made it a double challenge for my lungs as Denver's elevation is nearly five thousand feet above my home's elevation. We took our grandchildren to the downtown art museum. I don't remember having an asthma attack there, but I felt a moderate, stabbing pain with each inhalation the whole time I was downtown. I think ozone was responsible for that. I endured it and enjoyed visiting the museum with my grandkids.

I rule out visiting places with severe air pollution altogether. I'll never visit Beijing or Fairbanks (in the winter, anyway).

Just yesterday I was finishing my lunch on the mezzanine of an upscale supermarket near my office when a woman drenched in perfume sat at the next table. I'm very sensitive to some perfumes, and hers was one of them. I was hit by an asthma attack after only a few breaths. Luckily I had only a little unfinished soup left. I gathered my trash, stood up, and did something really unusual for me: not sure which of the three women at nearby tables was the perfume-bomb, I spoke up and said "I don't know who's wearing all that perfume, but you should be aware how it affects some people."

Not the most eloquent speech perhaps but it was composed under duress.

I've asked an FA to seat me further from a perfume-drenched fellow pax. I asked her to relay my request to tone down the perfume to the passenger, if she could, but I don't think she did. That particular perfume didn't set me off, as it happened, but it's completely unpredictable so I have to err on the side of caution.

Last edited by ajGoes; Jan 13, 2016 at 10:03 am
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:56 am
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by caverunner17
Or that it's:

1. Illegal
2. A disgusting habit that leaves a smell many can not stand
3. Not my issue the smoker can't control themselves
4. Objects others to 2nd hand smoke
5. Makes clean up for someone else who has to try to remove the smell
6. Illegal

1 and 6 are the first and foremost the most important. The rest shows how inconsiderate they are of everyone else. If I report someone smoking, it's no different than reporting someone stealing something or a shady character in the airport.
This.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
I'm not sure who is more annoying: those who smoke in no-smoking areas, or those who act as though their immediate death is imminent if confronted with cigarette smoke. Neither is a class of people I like to associate with.
I'm not particularly afraid that I'll die from an asthma attack, though it does happen. I can tell you that one attack can weaken me for the rest of the day, and a severe one can lead to many weeks of debilitating bronchitis. I wish my bronchae were more resistant but they aren't. I promise you I'm not merely acting like asthma is a serious threat; it really is, to me and many others.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
I hope I don't come across as crucifying smokers. Smokers who won't follow the law deserve some level of public shaming though.

Secondhand marijuana smoke hasn't provoked asthma in me. I don't smoke it myself though.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Smoker doesn't butt out his cigarette properly and puts it in the bin. Paper hand towels catch fire and smokes out the bathroom. Terminal evacuated and flights missed. I guess that's why I'd care.
I agree, should require smoking lounge in every terminal and designate one bathroom on every flight as the smoking bathroom.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:00 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Note: Please follow the thread as it moves to the Smokers Forum
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
If there were smoking lounges is every terminal, then this problem would be solved. [Removed OMNI/PR material]

Last edited by cblaisd; Nov 22, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:07 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
When the Community Director set up this forum, it was with some carefully devised guidelines:

First, from the Welcome Thread, "This forum is a place to exchange information that will be helpful to smokers who travel. Any post that does so is welcome, even if made by a non-smoker who wants to know what places to avoid."

Second, as that thread also states, this is NOT a forum for posting information about venues that are by default non-smoking. And every airport restroom these days would fit that criterion.

Third, the intent of this forum is NOT to have OMNI/PR type discussions about smoking, anti-smoking, thoughts about smoking laws, etc., etc. OMNI/PR is the place to take those.

Therefore we are closing this thread, and hope all have/are having a Happy Thanksgiving.

cblaisd & goalie,
Co-Moderators
The Smoking Lounge forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.