Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Calala island, Nicaragua

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
Just an FYI or ICYMI:

Cat 5 Hurricane Iota made landfall last night just north of Calala. While they were on the backside, I'd predict major storm surge damages at a minimum.

Hurricane Eta made landfall just two weeks ago in basically the same spot (Haulover, Nicaragua). My contacts in the area - Puerto Cabezas to the north, Bluefields to the south - reported a lot of infrastructure damage from Eta.

Iota was a MUCH more powerful storm.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by 24.05.2004
Just an FYI or ICYMI:

Cat 5 Hurricane Iota made landfall last night just north of Calala. While they were on the backside, I'd predict major storm surge damages at a minimum.

Hurricane Eta made landfall just two weeks ago in basically the same spot (Haulover, Nicaragua). My contacts in the area - Puerto Cabezas to the north, Bluefields to the south - reported a lot of infrastructure damage from Eta.

Iota was a MUCH more powerful storm.
Hoping for minimal damage, have a 5 night stay at the end of December...
Old Nov 19, 2020, 5:48 am

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
I've seen video from Little Corn Island -- approximately 30 miles SSE where there was pretty extensive structural damage and significant beach erosion.

The problem with Calala (and all the Pearl Cays) is very low elevation. Storm surge probably inundated the entire island.

Fingers crossed for your trip. That whole area is one of my favorite places anywhere.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by gbongc
Hoping for minimal damage, have a 5 night stay at the end of December...
You could email the hotel they're pretty responsive usually. I'm going in April hope it's fixed by then at least.

What airline are you flying in December
Old Nov 19, 2020, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by parrotheadmjb
You could email the hotel they're pretty responsive usually. I'm going in April hope it's fixed by then at least.

What airline are you flying in December
I will contact them in a weeks time since it is not an urgent matter and give them some time to deal with the aftermath first.

I had originally booked with Copa and United, but they have cancelled all their flights to MGA until January. Leaves me flying either AA or Spirit, for which I chose the former.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by gbongc
I will contact them in a weeks time since it is not an urgent matter and give them some time to deal with the aftermath first.

I had originally booked with Copa and United, but they have cancelled all their flights to MGA until January. Leaves me flying either AA or Spirit, for which I chose the former.
Wouldnt be surprised if they cancelled too and you ended up on Avianca unless they code share idk.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I was emailing with the hotel this morning. There was no damage.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by mizzou miles
I was emailing with the hotel this morning. There was no damage.
Great news! Any other details provided by the hotel? Hopefully the airports will be ok too
Old Dec 9, 2020, 11:33 am

Follow up. My stay was originally at the end of December 2020; AA had cancelled all flights to MGA through the end of the year, leaving only Spirit and Avianca (though with recent lock downs from California, it would not surprise me if these flights get cancelled too). Due to the logistical nightmare this has become, Calala Island rep is allowing my partner and I to move our dates to next year! The cancellation policy is technically 90 days, so we are far beyond getting our points back, and we are grateful that the property is allowing us to be flexible at this time.

Hoping to stay in Calala next year's end instead!
24.05.2004 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 2:04 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
this thread should be moved to the SLH sub-forum
Old Mar 14, 2021, 8:51 am

Anyone been during the pandemic or have plans to go in the next month? Just looking to see how it is.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 12:02 pm

Anyone been during the pandemic or have plans to go in the next month? Just looking to see how it is.
I’m wondering also
Old Apr 3, 2021, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by liondragonx5y
I’m wondering also
Well if nobody else answers the question I'll answer it myself end of april lol
Old May 9, 2021, 9:02 am

Well if nobody else answers the question I'll answer it myself end of april lol
parrotheadmjb - How was your experience?
Old May 26, 2021, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by nkskalyan
parrotheadmjb - How was your experience?
It was great, I was there 6 nights and only on the first night was there another couple there so the next 5 nights I literally had a private island. Upgraded to Master Suite. The only changes were to the activities listed, they axed the nearby in town experience which I didn't really care about. Also the picnic on a deserted island, while you could still do it each island had a person or two on it now that stays there to watch over the island (only started about 3 months ago), we didn't care much about that either so didn't do it. We did go island hopping, snorkeling, and fishing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.