Calala island, Nicaragua

Old Nov 17, 20, 11:52 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SJO/MGA
Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
Posts: 359
Just an FYI or ICYMI:

Cat 5 Hurricane Iota made landfall last night just north of Calala. While they were on the backside, I'd predict major storm surge damages at a minimum.

Hurricane Eta made landfall just two weeks ago in basically the same spot (Haulover, Nicaragua). My contacts in the area - Puerto Cabezas to the north, Bluefields to the south - reported a lot of infrastructure damage from Eta.

Iota was a MUCH more powerful storm.
24.05.2004 is offline  
Old Nov 18, 20, 9:32 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 86
Originally Posted by 24.05.2004 View Post
Just an FYI or ICYMI:

Cat 5 Hurricane Iota made landfall last night just north of Calala. While they were on the backside, I'd predict major storm surge damages at a minimum.

Hurricane Eta made landfall just two weeks ago in basically the same spot (Haulover, Nicaragua). My contacts in the area - Puerto Cabezas to the north, Bluefields to the south - reported a lot of infrastructure damage from Eta.

Iota was a MUCH more powerful storm.
Hoping for minimal damage, have a 5 night stay at the end of December...
gbongc is offline  
Old Nov 19, 20, 5:48 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SJO/MGA
Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
Posts: 359
I've seen video from Little Corn Island -- approximately 30 miles SSE where there was pretty extensive structural damage and significant beach erosion.

The problem with Calala (and all the Pearl Cays) is very low elevation. Storm surge probably inundated the entire island.

Fingers crossed for your trip. That whole area is one of my favorite places anywhere.
24.05.2004 is offline  
Old Nov 19, 20, 6:03 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 356
Originally Posted by gbongc View Post
Hoping for minimal damage, have a 5 night stay at the end of December...
You could email the hotel they're pretty responsive usually. I'm going in April hope it's fixed by then at least.

What airline are you flying in December
parrotheadmjb is offline  
Old Nov 19, 20, 6:59 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 86
Originally Posted by parrotheadmjb View Post
You could email the hotel they're pretty responsive usually. I'm going in April hope it's fixed by then at least.

What airline are you flying in December
I will contact them in a weeks time since it is not an urgent matter and give them some time to deal with the aftermath first.

I had originally booked with Copa and United, but they have cancelled all their flights to MGA until January. Leaves me flying either AA or Spirit, for which I chose the former.
gbongc is offline  
Old Nov 19, 20, 7:15 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 356
Originally Posted by gbongc View Post
I will contact them in a weeks time since it is not an urgent matter and give them some time to deal with the aftermath first.

I had originally booked with Copa and United, but they have cancelled all their flights to MGA until January. Leaves me flying either AA or Spirit, for which I chose the former.
Wouldnt be surprised if they cancelled too and you ended up on Avianca unless they code share idk.
parrotheadmjb is offline  
Old Nov 20, 20, 2:00 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: New York City
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,008
I was emailing with the hotel this morning. There was no damage.
mizzou miles is offline  
Old Nov 20, 20, 2:20 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 86
Originally Posted by mizzou miles View Post
I was emailing with the hotel this morning. There was no damage.
Great news! Any other details provided by the hotel? Hopefully the airports will be ok too
gbongc is offline  
Old Dec 9, 20, 11:33 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 86
Follow up. My stay was originally at the end of December 2020; AA had cancelled all flights to MGA through the end of the year, leaving only Spirit and Avianca (though with recent lock downs from California, it would not surprise me if these flights get cancelled too). Due to the logistical nightmare this has become, Calala Island rep is allowing my partner and I to move our dates to next year! The cancellation policy is technically 90 days, so we are far beyond getting our points back, and we are grateful that the property is allowing us to be flexible at this time.

Hoping to stay in Calala next year's end instead!
24.05.2004 likes this.
gbongc is offline  
Old Dec 9, 20, 2:04 pm
  #25  
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Switzerland
Programs: Hyatt LGLO
Posts: 2,438
this thread should be moved to the SLH sub-forum
59Impala is offline  
Old Mar 14, 21, 8:51 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 356
Anyone been during the pandemic or have plans to go in the next month? Just looking to see how it is.
parrotheadmjb is offline  
Old Apr 3, 21, 12:02 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 103
Originally Posted by parrotheadmjb View Post
Anyone been during the pandemic or have plans to go in the next month? Just looking to see how it is.
Iím wondering also
liondragonx5y is offline  
Old Apr 3, 21, 1:06 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 356
Originally Posted by liondragonx5y View Post
Iím wondering also
Well if nobody else answers the question I'll answer it myself end of april lol
parrotheadmjb is offline  
Old May 9, 21, 9:02 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by parrotheadmjb View Post
Well if nobody else answers the question I'll answer it myself end of april lol
parrotheadmjb - How was your experience?
nkskalyan is offline  
Old May 26, 21, 10:08 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 356
Originally Posted by nkskalyan View Post
parrotheadmjb - How was your experience?
It was great, I was there 6 nights and only on the first night was there another couple there so the next 5 nights I literally had a private island. Upgraded to Master Suite. The only changes were to the activities listed, they axed the nearby in town experience which I didn't really care about. Also the picnic on a deserted island, while you could still do it each island had a person or two on it now that stays there to watch over the island (only started about 3 months ago), we didn't care much about that either so didn't do it. We did go island hopping, snorkeling, and fishing.
parrotheadmjb is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: