Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Continental Platinum - which SkyTeam carrier should I switch to now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Hi, I'm 1K on United and Platinum on Continental. With Continental moving over to Star Alliance, I'll have to figure out what to do on that end - not asking about that right now.

I will end up - out of necessity - sometimes flying on some other SkyTeam partners. I more or less love Continental and hate the rest of them equally, haha, so that doesn't really help me. I think I fly AirFrance/KLM and Delta about the same amount total, although a lot more international legs on AF, and a lot more domestic legs on Delta. I also fly a smattering on Korean, Alitalia, etc.

I expect that I'll have 25k miles per year on whichever program I choose, enough to get me into the short line, but depending on how the year goes, I sometimes fly on them a lot more.

One of the things I'm wondering: given that I'm a mega frequent flyer, would it be worth my effort to call up one of these carriers and ask them to entice me to their program by comping me a year at their highest level? Or am I dreaming?
Old Aug 21, 2009, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FlyerTalk!!

DL will definitely match you for a year to their Platinum level from CO Platinum.

If you fly on full fare tickets then the FlyingBlue program may have some advantages. Sadly, however, SkyMiles is still probably the best bet. And I say "sadly" because it really isn't all that great, especially if you're not at the top level. You might also look at AeroMexico. They have an OK program as I understand it but I haven't dug deeply into it.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 1:03 pm

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
You may want to give Alitalia's program a try. They have a status matching promo right now and it only takes half the amount of miles to requalify. They also have good redemption rates like 80k business class to Europe and most of the Middle East.

link
Old Aug 21, 2009, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by chewy3
You may want to give Alitalia's program a try. They have a status matching promo right now and it only takes half the amount of miles to requalify. They also have good redemption rates like 80k business class to Europe and most of the Middle East.

link
I would avoid them like the plague. They have a habit of doing things like "resetting" their program every couple years and requiring you to fly on their metal to keep your miles. The past few years have been a nightmare for them. I wouldn't go near it.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

25k miles on how many segments?
You can qualify for Elite Plus (=lounge access unless on a US domestic) with 30 segments on either FB or OK+.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
I would avoid them like the plague. They have a habit of doing things like "resetting" their program every couple years and requiring you to fly on their metal to keep your miles. The past few years have been a nightmare for them. I wouldn't go near it.
Well, you can always do the status match and use it as a means of taking advantage of the benefits of status while you're earning it with another ST airline.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by graraps
25k miles on how many segments?
You can qualify for Elite Plus (=lounge access unless on a US domestic) with 30 segments on either FB or OK+.
but earnings on FB are poor ... stay away from FB. Sounds like DL will be o.k. for you ... if you can get 125k you'll get domestic lounge access as well.

Last edited by gleff; Aug 30, 2009 at 6:18 pm Reason: language
Old Aug 24, 2009, 8:13 am

If you have flown more than 125,000 miles this year on United (and I say that because you are 1K) or if you will fly more than 125K miles this year on United (or Continental), I would suggest that you consider waiting before getting a status match to DL.

Delta will be introducing next year a Diamond Medallion Tier, which will be higher than platinum. So you can get a match to DL now and enjoy Platinum for a longer time, or get a match later and enjoy Diamond status --- if DL will match to it -- (which includes CRC access).
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:59 am

I'd bet that DL doesn't match into Diamond, even if you show 125K+ miles flown.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmw303

Delta will be introducing next year a Diamond Medallion Tier, which will be higher than platinum. So you can get a match to DL now and enjoy Platinum for a longer time, or get a match later and enjoy Diamond status --- if DL will match to it -- (which includes CRC access).
chances of less then zero for this to happen ... but waiting until January 1 is a good idea to get an extra year of PE.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 5:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
I believe this is something to do with Italian tax law although I am sure another FT'er with more insight can provide you with further detail.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Perhaps a NW match now will save you a once-in-a-lifetime on DL later.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
chances of less then zero for this to happen ... but waiting until January 1 is a good idea to get an extra year of PE.
No need to wait that long. Matches done now should be good through to Feb 2011.

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
I believe this is something to do with Italian tax law although I am sure another FT'er with more insight can provide you with further detail.
I don't really care what the reason is (though it would be interesting to learn that there was a law that caused it). The net effect is that they expire the miles unless you fly on AZ metal. For someone not based in Italy that is a pretty rough requirement.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 9:46 am

Programs: AZ FA+ - AmeX Plat - Starwood Gold - Hilton Silver - Avis Preferred - Hertz Gold
The net effect is that they expire the miles unless you fly on AZ metal. For someone not based in Italy that is a pretty rough requirement.
what usually happens is that the Millemiglia program is reseted and you need to fly to times in a 6 months period (one A/R is enough) to get your miles back again.

ciao
Old Sep 1, 2009, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No need to wait that long. Matches done now should be good through to Feb 2011.
I have heard plenty of 2/10 for recent matches ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.