Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

(newbie question) Which Mileage Program in Skyteam?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2009, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Hello there,

after reading this forum for a while, I have a (admittedly maybe newbie-like) question about the mileage programs in Skyteam.

I am about to fly a few legs on DL and will probably be doing some more Skyteam legs in the future. Since I am with M&M, CO is somewhat out, but I am looking at SkyMiles and FlyingBlue. Currently I am based at ORD but I´ll soon be in Germany for a longer time, so I guess a critical point is how much SkyMiles is worth if youre not based out of the States.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2009, 2:21 pm

Programs: KM P, DL S | SPG G, HH S | Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
CONs
Skymiles has a lot of partnerships, but you can't really enjoy several of them if you are based outside US/North America.
Flying 'discounted' - discounted??? - economy with AFKL and some other skyteam partner can be a problem: no Medallion Qualification miles or segments on some classes.
DL requires more miles and more segments for elite qualification.

PROs
https://www.delta.com/skymiles/about...ance/index.jsp
Old Feb 26, 2009, 4:09 pm
soy

Programs: various
CO will join *A later in 2009. Other posters have recommended using an Alaskan account to bank flights from miscellaneous flights if you are not going to have enough to get status.
If you really want to join a ST program then OK+ might be a good choice. Both AFKL and DLNW are currently in a race to the bottom with their programs.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

OK+ sounds really interesting and I am going to look at AS - didn't even know you can earn miles with them on skyteam. thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2009, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At the moment, OK+ is the clear choice, especially if you're planning to do any amount of intra-Europe travelling (comp upgrades).

However, be aware that CSA are in the process of being privatised, which may mean changes coming our way.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 10:24 pm

Programs: *A
dont mean to hijack, but does OK+ allow to credit miles of flights done prior to sign-up? I did 2 domestic hops on AM and 1 on AS (LAX-CUN) in the last week and haven't credited them (AS did not accept my Asia miles card of CX , and for AM i put my card deep in my suitcase).

those are my 1st flight on ST in a longlong time, but i think i might have to do few more this year - so i should pick a program (and actually credit flights to it that i take.. )

Last edited by sebastian746; Mar 6, 2009 at 6:45 pm Reason: mixed up
Old Mar 15, 2009, 1:30 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Just curious if anyone has any suggestions for program, I am a complete Skyteam newbie. I'm going to be relocating to Moscow and doing a lot of flying on Aeroflot. I'm primarily interested in getting lounge access down the road. What would be best?
Old Mar 15, 2009, 1:49 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Originally Posted by dcmike
Just curious if anyone has any suggestions for program, I am a complete Skyteam newbie. I'm going to be relocating to Moscow and doing a lot of flying on Aeroflot. I'm primarily interested in getting lounge access down the road. What would be best?
If that includes domestic flying on SU, join their programme for lounge access. Ditto if you can get one of their cobranded credit or debit cards in Russia.

Otherwise, OK Plus would probably be the answer.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 3:18 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Platinum)
Originally Posted by sebastian746
dont mean to hijack, but does OK+ allow to credit miles of flights done prior to sign-up? I did 2 domestic hops on AM and 1 on AS (LAX-CUN) in the last week and haven't credited them (AS did not accept my Asia miles card of CX , and for AM i put my card deep in my suitcase).

those are my 1st flight on ST in a longlong time, but i think i might have to do few more this year - so i should pick a program (and actually credit flights to it that i take.. )
OK+ will offer retroactive credit for up to 6 months back, but only on OK flights. Once you have the card, you can get points from and SkyTeam flight, but the retroactive clause requires them to be Czech Airlines. At least this is what I was told at their main Prague offices.

One nice benefit of OK+ is that points don't expire if you use the account once every 3 years.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 2:33 pm

Programs: *A
thanks!

I signed up with them the day before i flew on AM. told them my OK number at check-in, miles posted with no problem ^

let's see how long it takes until I get my actual card sent to Bangkok

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.