Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NW/KLM Schedule Change - advice needed - longish

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2009, 6:05 am
Original Poster

NW/KLM Schedule Change - advice needed - longish

Hope this is posted in the right section...?
My wife and myself were due to fly directly from Amsterdam to JFK, New York. This will be our first visit to the USA and we are really looking forward to the trip. But, we are very concerned about our flights and are hoping that you may be able to offer some advice.

The flight timings that were originally given to us were fine – no problems. We have since discovered that our flight timings have changed. Instead of a direct flight to JFK we now go to Detroit – eight and a half hour flight (wait over 3 hours) – then a two hour flight to JFK arriving after 11pm - compared to our direct flight from Amsterdam to JFK lasting around 8 hours.
We have contacted KLM direct and they have informed us that there is nothing they can do to help and advised us to contact Expedia – who have also informed us that there is nothing they can do either, saying that it is the airlines schedule change.

Original: Depart Manchester (UK) at 13:35 Arrive JFK 20:15 nearly 8 hours flying from Amsterdam (flight no.NW8643)
New Timings: Depart Manchester (UK) at 11:30 Arrive JFK 23:09 – nearly 11 hours flying from Amsterdam (flight no. 47)
From a ‘rough’ search it would appear that our original flight is stay operational with the flight no. KL643. Have we been, ‘bumped’ from the flight and placed on a totally inconvenient one?
Is there anything/anyone we could contact that may be able to arrange a direct flight?
Apologies for the length and I hope the above makes some kind of sense.

Really appreciate any advice.

Something about a, ‘wing and a prayer’…

Take care,

Greg & Marie
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:16 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
LM467, welcome to FlyerTalk. As it appears that your flights involve several SkyTeam alliance carriers, let me move this to our SkyTeam forum for further suggestions and discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Hi,
Opps... apologies and thank you for sorting the message out for me - appreciated.

Greg
Old Feb 4, 2009, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FlyerTalk!!

Your original flight still exists so it is not particularly clear why you were shifted to an alternate routing. I would call the airline back and insist that they address this issue with you. If they claim that the travel agent has to deal with it then insist that they set up a conference call so that all three parties can be on the phone at the same time. The 6:20pm AMS-JFK flight is most certainly still operating so there is no good reason for them to have shifted you to the DTW routing and delayed your arrival in NYC by 3 hours. There are also flights from AMS to EWR that you can consider and earlier flights that would require an earlier departure from MAN but would still get you in to JFK or EWR without the crazy re-route.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much indeed for the help. This being our first visit, 'across the pond', we are a little confused by all this and left wondering what to do about it. So, your support is very much appreciated.
I will try contacting NW airlines rather than KLM in the hope that they may be more responsive. When talking to KLM, the response was clearly a, 'fob-off'.
I'll let you know how things develop.
Once again many thanks.

Take care,

Greg
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:54 am

Programs: DL Gold (2.5MM program miles), Airtran A+ Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Please let us know how it turns out for you. And...enjoy your time in the US!
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
If you have the NW record locator, you may be able to find alternate flights on NWA.com assuming you have not accepted the reroute.

Go to Change, Upgrade or Cancel Reservation and then pull down Northwest Schedule Changes
Old Feb 4, 2009, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
Sorted!
First of all, when we went to 'Northwest Schedule Changes', it would not allow us to make any changes - bit of a dead end. Also, we were told my NW that the airline has indeed cancelled the direct flights, NW8643 and KLM643.

However, I did phone NW and spoke to a very nice person called Ali. He was quite understanding with our dilema. After a longish telephone conversation he managed to rearrange our flight to Saturday 4th April. More time in New York!
UK to Amsterdam: Depart 1:35pm Arrive 4:05pm. Depart Amsterdam 6:20pm Arrive New York 8:10pm - 7hrs 50mts from Amsterdam to New York. Much better than via Detroit (no offence to Detroit).
The aircraft is a 747-400 and we have been assigned seats 40J and 4K. Never been on such a large plane. Because we have booked thru KLM, NW told us that we cannot choose our seats via their (NW) website. Is there a way around this? Would be nice to have a, 'good seat', or am I asking too much?

Both KLM and Expedia = very poor.
NW = I'm very impressed! (Bit of a slogan there...).

After spending four days in NY, we take the Amtrak train to San Francisco, spend four days there, before flying back to JFK with Jet Blue, whom we have heard several excellent reports about. Spend a few more days in NY, before flying back via Newark on the A330. Really looking forward to it all!

Many thanks for all your help and advice - very much appreciated! And if anyone has any ideas on how to get a good seat..?

Take care,

Greg
Old Feb 4, 2009, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you are in Europe and dealing with NW/KL you actually end up talking to KL no matter what. So don't spend extra money to call over to the USA number. Sorry for the confusion on that one.

Either way, they were definitely trying to fob you off. Call back and get someone who can work with you.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
We are in the UK (North of England) and certainly no apology is necessary. Just glad that we found this forum and grateful for the help and advice that you and others have freely given.

Just not sure on the seating arrangements as we are unable to access the NW web site seat selection process. Can you help or should I post this query to another forum. If so which one?
Once again many thanks.

Take care,

Greg
Old Feb 4, 2009, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by LM467
Just not sure on the seating arrangements as we are unable to access the NW web site seat selection process.
Unfortunately there are no freely available particularly good seat on the KLM 744 combi. The exit rows require payment of an additional fee for most passengers, and the forward coach cabin (rows 9-18) is only assigned to elite and full-fare passengers (you could get into it at check-in, but the 'pairs' will most likely be already taken, and there is no advantage to the 'triples').

Air France being the owner of the KLM brand, and having slightly less unpleasant agents manning the phones, you can call your local Air France reservation number for your KLM seat assignments.

As the flight appears to be already nearly sold out, it is doubtful you could do much better than your current assignment. You could however move to the middle section, where a couple wouldn't need to disturb/be disturbed when getting up for a 'pitstop'. The coach cabin being almost entirely over the wing in this aircraft, you wouldn't be losing much of a view.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks for the info' - much appreciated. The aircraft is a 747-400 and we have been assigned seats 40J and 40K.
We were just wondering if we could access the NW web site seat selection process or KLM or Air France? It looks as if, we are unable to do it.

Many thanks for your advice.

Greg
Old Feb 4, 2009, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by LM467
We were just wondering if we could access the NW web site seat selection process
If unsuccessful, you could proceed with a dummy booking on nwa.com for the exact same flights, at which point you will be able to see a live seatmap, and make informed choices before calling the AF reservations line.

I don't recall a corresponding facility on the KLM website (you could try here , I don't have a current KLM booking to check if a seatmap is offered).

I do know one can select a seat online on Air France/(KLM?) flights, under the Book online\Your reservations heading on any Air France local website. It may or may not work for third-party bookings such as yours.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Spire
If you have a KL or AF PNR ( a 6 digit alphanumeric which Expedia should have provided), you should be able to go to www.checkmytrip.com and at least see your seat assignments to make a judgement. You won't be able to change them there though. KLM are difficult to deal with for seat assignments if you book through a travel agent, even if, as I am, top tier status on Skyteam!
Old Feb 6, 2009, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
Many thanks for your wonderful suggestions and apologies for not getting back sooner. I'm a teacher and we have the dreaded, 'inspectors' in at our school... ugh!!!
Anyway, I tried the suggestion of going onto, www.checkmytrip.com, put in the code, but it kept coming back with an error message, asking me to contact Expedia... So, I tried a dummy booking on nwa.com for the exact same flights, NW8643; and it worked!
The whole of the rear of 747 - 400 has been taken, from row 50 to 70! I also noticed that there were some, 'white spaces', presume these are the galley/toilet areas. Our seats are 40J and 40K, which according to, airlineexpert.com, the seats have a window view, but the wing still blocks the view down. Oh well...
Nearly all the other seats with a, 'view' have already been filled. Looks like one busy plane!

KLM are difficult to deal with, we have had a much more favourable response from NW. And we have purchased some, 'flyertalk' luggage labels; who knows who you may bump into...

Once again your help and advice is very much appreciated.

Take care,

Greg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.