Reload this Page >

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:11 pm

Much better to speculate WHICH airline should be on board SkyTeam's LCC/hybrid platform.

Skyteam's the one that suggest to develop that back in 2012 according to CAPA. But recently, Star beats them first with SAA's Mango on board the Star's LCC/hybrid platform, entitled as Connecting Partners.

Skyteam's very own LCC/hybrid platform will happen I'm sure, so let's speculate that, the fact that Wisburn said there's no adding members at this point for a being. Maybe next one or two years.

List of airlines IMO should be entering SkyTeam's LCC/hybrid platform:
  1. Virgin Australia (unless John Borghetti change minds)
  2. Gol
  3. IndiGo (unless Jet Airways enters)
  4. Citilink (Garuda Indonesia)
  5. Transavia (AF-KLM)
  6. Virgin America
  7. Jetstar Pacific (Vietnam Airlines)
  8. Hawaiian Airlines
  9. Cambodia Angkor Air
  10. Bangkok Airways
  11. WestJet
  12. Cebu Pacific (possible sharing with *A Connecting Partners)
  13. Jambo Jet (Kenya Airways)
  14. Etihad Airways (since y'all doubt they will enter any alliance, as they develop their own, unless James Hogan changed his mind)

List of airlines IMO should be the full members of SkyTeam & possible airline mentors
  1. Virgin Atlantic (Delta will be the mentor)
  2. Air Mauritius (KLM will be the mentor)
  3. Jet Airways (Garuda & Alitalia will be mentors)
  4. Etihad Airways (if James Hogan changed his mind; Alitalia will be the mentor)
  5. Virgin Australia (if John Borghetti changed his mind; Delta & Garuda will be mentors)
  6. Air Serbia (Airfrance-KLM & Alitalia will be mentors)
  7. Air Seychelles (Alitalia will be the mentor)

I doubt Air Madagascar, Air Hunnu, and Uzbekistan Airways still wants to join at this point. And if Etihad changes his mind, he can actually bring all their Etihad Partner members becoming SkyTeam members, with few exceptions:
  • Aer Lingus: they already owned by IAG. It's a matter of time for Etihad to let their stake go to IAG and Aer Lingus become oneworld member once again
  • Virgin Australia: unless John Borghetti change his mind on alliances, V-Oz maybe OK with SkyTeam LCC/hybrid platform
  • Airberlin: oneworld member, unless Etihad announce decision to discard oneworld and enters Skyteam instead
Old Dec 15, 2015, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's some rumblings in the usual trade publications that MU is looking to leave SkyTeam for oneworld. Not sure if anything is substantiated yet.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T.A.Music
Aer Lingus: they already owned by IAG. It's a matter of time for Etihad to let their stake go to IAG and Aer Lingus become oneworld member once again
EI will be joining oneworld again once their IT problems are solved, probably in the next year or two. This was pretty clear throughout the IAG acquisition process and is now discussed as a fait accompli by the EI director in the recent IAG investor meetings.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
There's some rumblings in the usual trade publications that MU is looking to leave SkyTeam for oneworld. Not sure if anything is substantiated yet.
We never even sure, but then again, things can change. Jokes aside, Delta's partnership (according to some little bird) includes code share with MU as CZ has less exposure in Shanghai unlike MU who has big presence in, despite CZ's large exposure in Beijing & Guangzhou.

Also, CX is still going to reject MU's OW membership application if that happens.

Last edited by T.A.Music; Dec 15, 2015 at 6:51 pm
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Really? That's bummer. I didn't even know that. I thought they still Skyteam member. Didn't they tried it yet?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N830MH
Really? That's bummer. I didn't even know that. I thought they still Skyteam member. Didn't they tried it yet?
They are still a SkyTeam member but the management are wondering if that's such a great idea strategically.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T.A.Music
We never even sure, but then again, things can change. Jokes aside, Delta's partnership (according to some little bird) includes code share with MU as CZ has less exposure in Shanghai unlike MU who has big presence in, despite CZ's large exposure in Beijing & Guangzhou.

Also, CX is still going to reject MU's OW membership application if that happens.
PVG is the MU hub. DL actually owns stock in MU (about 4%).

CX is the reason oneworld needs MU (or another Chinese member): CX refuse to provide serious feed for other oneworld members out of China.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 9:38 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
With Jet Airways just announcing Code Shares with Delta and KLM looks like they could be the next SkyTeam member.

Also they are moving their main European Hub from BRU to AMS.

"Faites vos jeux"
Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UncleDude
With Jet Airways just announcing Code Shares with Delta and KLM looks like they could be the next SkyTeam member.

Also they are moving their main European Hub from BRU to AMS.

"Faites vos jeux"
That will be nice. I'm surely you will see 9W to joining the ST. I doubt that. It will happen in a future.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
That will be nice. I'm surely you will see 9W to joining the ST. I doubt that. It will happen in a future.
Slow but surely my friend. They will be. Besides, Etihad Partners allows their 'members' to join alliances, which in 9W's case, SkyTeam. (I read that on CAPA)
Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:02 am

CX is the reason oneworld needs MU (or another Chinese member): CX refuse to provide serious feed for other oneworld members out of China.
Ouch
Old Feb 25, 2016, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
9W and KE sign code-share and loyalty program pact:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/51139945.cms

9W now code shares with 8 SkyTeam members: AF, AZ, DL, GA, KL, KQ, KE and VN. In recent months the airline seems to be forging relationships with more and more members.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who would be next new Skyteam member?

We haven't hear any news about airlines who will join the Skyteam Alliance.

Let the speculation begin.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think alliances are going out of fashion

Maybe we should have a thread, who will be the next to leave SkyTeam? My guess is KE
Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think alliances are going out of fashion

Maybe we should have a thread, who will be the next to leave SkyTeam? My guess is KE
Yes, you certainly can. You can create a new thread. So go ahead and get a new thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.