Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which one to join?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2008, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Which one to join?

Do any of the programmes let you build up your points without them expiring? I don't want to join a programme where my points expire.

Also which is the best programme? I usually fly economy.

I am in the UK, but mainly travel to the USA if it matters.

Many thanks
Old Dec 19, 2008, 5:31 am

Programs: DL, AA
Welcome to FlyerTalk, ukheather.

Most of the US-based SkyTeam programs have moved to shorter expiration times over recent years. (I'll let one of the experts speak to other programs.) However, if you have some type of activity every 18 months or so, your miles will not expire.

How often do you travel to the US? If you are making a couple of trips a year, expiration probably should not be your main concern. If you only fly every couple of years, there are other ways to generate activity in your account (hotel/dining/retail partnerships, etc).
Old Dec 19, 2008, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The answer is "it depends". Probably best off joining Flying Blue and making sure you always fly on 100%-earning fares (the very cheapest economy tickets on AFKL will only give you 25%).
Old Dec 19, 2008, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Continental does not currently expire miles even though they have the rule on their books. That being said, their imminent departure from SkyTeam doesn't make them particularly appealing for you.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I do travel infrequently, maybe once a year or less. Is there a programme that would be best for me traveling this little?
Old Jan 5, 2009, 6:40 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by graraps
The answer is "it depends". Probably best off joining Flying Blue and making sure you always fly on 100%-earning fares (the very cheapest economy tickets on AFKL will only give you 25%).
I agree that it 'depends'. I disagree that Flying Blue would be the best option. Flying Blue now has a short expiration date similar to that of the American carriers. However, it has the added problem that the only activity which will count towards maintaining your account is flying. You cannot use hotel points, etc. to extend the validity of your miles. (In some countries, a FB credit card will extend them, but not all - I am not sure about the UK).
Old Jan 10, 2009, 7:39 am

There's a discussion ongoing here about a big devaluation coming up for the Flying Blue program:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyin...book-here.html

Boo hoo, first I started out with CO, managed to get up to Elite and now they're going off to *A. Next I went to FB, also got up to Elite and now this devaluation. I have a NW account but I'm not a big fan of theirs so I wonder too with what ST partner to start anew, or IF I should even bother...
Old Jan 10, 2009, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well, NW is done as of this year in favor of DL, and they are doing all sorts of bad things to their program. The latest salvo is no waiver of change fees on rewards for anyone, including top tier elites. Between that, the various other fees they charge and the 3 tier reward chart I wouldn't touch them these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.