Wiki Posts
Search

Yet another backtracking question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2008, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL
Yet another backtracking question

Would this work as a RTW awards itinerary given I will be returning to Europe?

CVG/Papeete, Tahiti/Beijing/Rome/Lagos, Nigeria/Vienna or Prague/Buenos Aires/CVG

Any suggestions?
Old Sep 3, 2008, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
I don't think so.

How will you get from Papeete to Bejing? There is an AF flight from LAX to Papeete, but no way to continue on to Asia. Tahiti is not served by KE, CO(Mike), NW, or CZ.

Unless I am missing something here, your answer is no.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
After more consideration, you might be able to reconneet through LAX after Papeete.

Try CVG-LAX-PPT-LAX-ICN-PEK-FCO-LOS-CDG-PRG-CDG-EZE-ATL-CVG

After looking there are 2 problems.

Problem #1, Too many miles (40,447)

Problem #2 Your destinations. must continue in a east to west direction at all times
and you can only enter a continent once (with a second rare stop for a connection allowed in some circumstances). You would need to lose the PRG/VIE stop or lose LOS (I would lose the LOS stop myself if possible).

Now trying CVG-LAX-PPT-LAX-ICN-PEK-FCO-VIE-CDG-EZE-ATL-CVG

Now at 35,104 miles. Still too much I think as therer is a limit of 34,000 I think (maybe only 28,000)

If you leave out PPT, it is all much easier.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PMMMDL
After more consideration, you might be able to reconneet through LAX after Papeete.

Problem #2 Your destinations. must continue in a east to west direction at all times
and you can only enter a continent once (with a second rare stop for a connection allowed in some circumstances). You would need to lose the PRG/VIE stop or lose LOS (I would lose the LOS stop myself if possible).

Now at 35,104 miles. Still too much I think as therer is a limit of 34,000 I think (maybe only 28,000)

Thanks PMMMDL! I was afraid of that. I guess it is back to the drawing board.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 2stepsbehind
Thanks PMMMDL! I was afraid of that. I guess it is back to the drawing board.
Kenya Airways fly to NBO from both CAN (stops at DXB) and HKG (stops at BKK), so you don't have to enter Europe in order to get to Africa.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Although I have not attempted to ticket one, my understanding is that you ,ay transit back from PPT to LAX to continue westward on a RTW. There is not a max mileage for a reward trip that I am aware of.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:48 pm

Programs: Iberia plus plata, TAP miles&go
Originally Posted by PMMMDL

I am not sure with an award but with a paid RTW you can use the Aircalin flight between PPT and Noumea and then connect to NRT there.But you still have to de the europe part before or after you go to Lagos.
So something like CVG-LAX-PPT-(NOU)-(NRT)-PEK-(AMS)-LOS-FCO-VIE-(CDG)-EZE-(ATL)-CVG, with the destions within () just beeing transfer points not beeing stops.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by graraps
Kenya Airways fly to NBO from both CAN (stops at DXB) and HKG (stops at BKK), so you don't have to enter Europe in order to get to Africa.
Good idea. Thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2008, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sh1982
I am not sure with an award but with a paid RTW you can use the Aircalin flight between PPT and Noumea and then connect to NRT there.But you still have to de the europe part before or after you go to Lagos.
So something like CVG-LAX-PPT-(NOU)-(NRT)-PEK-(AMS)-LOS-FCO-VIE-(CDG)-EZE-(ATL)-CVG, with the destions within () just beeing transfer points not beeing stops.
I'll definitely ask. Thanks so much for the suggestions!
Old Oct 11, 2008, 5:22 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
I have an additional question:

I just calculated my RTW miles and have reached eaxctaly 29,445 miles although the threashold is 29,000.

1) Would this mean that I will have to pay for the higher fare, under the threashold of 34,000 miles?

2) When calculating the miles, I planning to fly KE operated ICN-GRU, the flight makes a stop-over in LAX but it does not mean a connection, it is only a stop. How do I calculate the miles of this flight? ICN-GRU or ICN-LAX-GRU? If the former, when I use Great Circle Mapper it routes the flight via Europe and not via the US West Coast...what would be the mile calcuation for such flight?

Tks,
Old Oct 13, 2008, 6:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum (lifetime)
Originally Posted by hardiwv
I just calculated my RTW miles and have reached eaxctaly 29,445 miles although the threashold is 29,000.
You need to be below 29000 miles, above it 's the 34000 fare.(rules are rules)

Caution with Great Circle Mapper(GCM), it is very near of the real miles but not exactly the same that the compagnies counts for mileage.

Recently, I flew from PAR to HKG via EWR and the difference was 170 miles more than GCM for the round trip.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 2:01 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Originally Posted by graraps
CAN-DXB-NBO is to get canned shortly, if you pardon the pun. I don't remember whether KQ will merely decouple CAN from DXB or axe it for good.

But HGK-BKK-NBO is here to stay for the moment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.