Wiki Posts
Search

Another Skyteam back-trak question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2008, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: none
Another Skyteam back-trak question

Skyteam..backtracking on same Continent?

How about PTY/MVD back to PTY??

Still confused on this Skyteam backtrak routing
....in Central Amer. to So.America and back
Old Aug 31, 2008, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Paid: yes. Award: no.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 6:43 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
What about backtracking between Europe and Africa with a paid RTW? For example, AMS-KRT-AMS (note: AMS is my point of origin).

Tks,
Old Sep 24, 2008, 9:29 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Allowed, provided that you continue on to the next continent on the next available (or within 24 hours) flight off the continent to Asia or N. America (assuming that it is the beginning of your trip). You may want to use CDG as your transit airport returning from Africa to avoid confusion with AMS being your starting airport.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 1:45 pm

Indeed, I thought about CDG as a solution. This means that if my origin is AMS and I return from Africa to Europe but to a different point (say CDG) then I do not need to continue to the next continent in the next available flight, correct?

E.g. AMS-KRT-CDG (via AMS). CDG would be a stop-over and not transit. Note: I would need to fly via AMS because only KL operates in KRT.

Tks,
Old Sep 25, 2008, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by hardiwv
Indeed, I thought about CDG as a solution. This means that if my origin is AMS and I return from Africa to Europe but to a different point (say CDG) then I do not need to continue to the next continent in the next available flight, correct?

E.g. AMS-KRT-CDG (via AMS). CDG would be a stop-over and not transit. Note: I would need to fly via AMS because only KL operates in KRT.

Tks,
Incorrect. Once you leave Europe, you will be able to return to Europe until the end of your trip, except to connect to a next flight out to Africa or the Americas. Since you are starting in Europe, you must make all your visiting stops in Europe either at the beginning or end of your trip.

There would probably not be a problem in using AMS as your connecting point between Africa and Asia, but checking with KLM might be a good idea.

You might also want to consider using Kenya Airways to exit Africa to Asia or Delta to exit Africa to North America.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

KQ fly to KRT. IIRC, they also fly KRT-CAI, from where one can jump on a KE flight to ICN.
I can't see why you'd spend time and/or miles out of your allowance going KRT to Asia via Europe; unless you're just trying to maximise your miles that is!
Old Sep 27, 2008, 9:23 am

Thanks for the replies. KQ is not feasible connection because I need to go to South America. From Africa to South America the only options are MH JNB-CPT-EZE but MH is not member of Sky while SA operates JNB-GRU but is a member of Star. Therefore flying back to Europe is necessary.

Anyone knows whether when returning to Europe I need to connect in the next immediate flight or do I have 24h for the connection? Any specific rules? KL flights from KRT arrives in AMS early in the morning and I wanted at least a 24h break.

Tks,
Old Sep 27, 2008, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Anyone knows whether when returning to Europe I need to connect in the next immediate flight or do I have 24h for the connection? Any specific rules? KL flights from KRT arrives in AMS early in the morning and I wanted at least a 24h break.

Tks,
The rule is any flight within 23:59. Going over that will be considered a stop, not a connection. If there is a flight 4 hours later and one 16 hours later either will be acceptable within the rules.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 10:53 pm

Thanks for the replies. KQ is not feasible connection because I need to go to South America. From Africa to South America the only options are MH JNB-CPT-EZE but MH is not member of Sky while SA operates JNB-GRU but is a member of Star. Therefore flying back to Europe is necessary.

Tks,
You don't have to go to Europe. You could fly DL to ATL. That should arrive in the afternoon and then you could connect to South America a few hours later.

Depending on your scheduling needs, you could also leave the Africa stop(s) for the end of the trip by flying Europe-S.America-N.America-Asia-Africa-Europe.

Since there is usually only 1 flight per day to most long haul destinations, the 24 hour layover rule generally means you must catch the next flight out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.