Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Continental Leaving Skyteam for Star Alliance!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental Leaving Skyteam for Star Alliance!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2008, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Boston_Bulldog
WestJet doesn't have the cash-flow to buy it...neither does UA nor US...
WHO's left with a bag of cash (or good credit) these days BUT . . . CO
No one pays cash for these things. Any merger/acquisition would be a stock deal.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 9:41 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Gold
I really don't care about CO leaving. I found DL to have a better international product, I don't get upgrades on CO, the 50% MQM on cheap tickets sucks, and DL/NW will cover most of CO's ground. Sure it is a great airline, but as a DL FF, it doesn't effect me too much.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 1:29 pm

Continental is a Sly Fox to watch

Originally Posted by Tango
Nobody is going to be paying cash to buy another airline. The question being asked by everyone is how much money do you have in the bank and it is never enough. Every airlines is loosing money and the only hope is the money will outlast the current high priced oil. Any airline mergers within the US will need to be stock swaps--not a cash buy out.
"CASHFLOW" does NOT necessarily mean Cash as in common greenback currency.

In its most simple terms, it is the pattern of receipts (accounts receivable, for example) versus expenditures (accounts payable), resulting in the availability or nonavailabilty of cash and other transferable financial assets, such as stock).

While Air Canada is seeking a buyer, WestJet does NOT have financial resources nor the strength of sufficient backers to make the purchase.
Neither does United.

Further, while Continental IS somewhat interested in several of Air Canada's lucrative trans-Canada routings, it has its eye fixed more on the INTERNATIONAL side of travel, (particularly trans-Pacific and European expansion) than anything domestic North American.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 1:34 pm

no funny money wanted

Originally Posted by El Boocho
No one pays cash for these things. Any merger/acquisition would be a stock deal.
Never intended for you to think in terms of greenbacks, loonies or euros
now maybe gold bullion bars ... j/k
Old Jul 18, 2008, 9:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, CO OnePass, ANA Mileage Club, DL Skymiles, UA Mileage Plus
CO to Star - Mixed Blessing

As a long time Continental/SkyTeam customer I have to say that I really have mixed feelings about this United plan. I am really going to miss Air France/KLM as a partner. On the other hand, the NW/DL merger really gave them no choice. Continental would really be the odd man out if they stayed. A merger/alliance with AA and Oneworld really wouldn't work either with such a stong network in Texas and competition in New York.

The thing about STAR is that who wants to fly United or US Airways? Not me! They both seem like another bankruptcy is inevitable. US Airways hasn't even intergrated the America West piolts into its senority system. Doesn't that sound smart??? Delta and Northwest both seemed cleaner and more stable then their STAR counterparts. Oh well, if anything Continental will benefit from being the best of the lot and get a huge boost from their EWR connections as they will be the only strong STAR player in the NYC market. Oneworld is really screwed since AA will still be the single player in the market. It is nice to be able to fly the route/schedule I want on mutliple carriers and still earn OnePass miles.

You should check out this article from USA Today that explains the advantage Continental will get by joining STAR.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/colum...alliance_N.htm
Old Sep 11, 2008, 7:32 am

Programs: OK Plus
Originally Posted by GUWonder
There are SkyTeam frequent flyers (and others too) who prefer/preferred CO airlines over DL
That is exactly my case. I'm with Czech Airlines OK Plus and in the process of booking a flight for late April/early May 2009. The choice is between CO and DL, the price is almost identical and since I am cheap and mileage whore I'd go with CO if they are still in SkyTeam. I got the impression from reading various forums that CO's long-haul product is slightly better than DL's (even though I hate the 3-3-3 configuration on 777s).
Should I risk and bank on the assumption that the CO will be still in Sky Team?
Old Sep 11, 2008, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by LKHK
I got the impression from reading various forums that CO's long-haul product is slightly better than DL's
I actually think the exact opposite. CO's 767s are okay, but nothing special. And watch out for the 757, which is pretty miserable. Aside from the lack of personal TVs on the 763, I think DL has a better product.

Of course, the best TATL SkyTeam product (in coach) is an NW A330, so if that fit your needs, it might be worth a look.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Platinum, Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bvanderhorst
I really don't care about CO leaving. I found DL to have a better international product, I don't get upgrades on CO, the 50% MQM on cheap tickets sucks, and DL/NW will cover most of CO's ground. Sure it is a great airline, but as a DL FF, it doesn't effect me too much.
I rode CO for years but Delta has really improved their Domestic product to the point that it is a better airline bots domesticly and internationaly, except for the LAX to Hawaii route.

I still fly Continental a lot to Houston and to other texas connections. I'm hoping Delta adds some flights from the West Coast to Houston as it is an important business flyer route. CO flies a dozen or so non stops daily between LAX and IAH and every one of them is full and the ticket is expensive. Flying through SLC or ATL isn't convienient and adds hours to your travel time, same willl be true with MEM.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 1:01 pm

Programs: OK Plus
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Of course, the best TATL SkyTeam product (in coach) is an NW A330, so if that fit your needs, it might be worth a look.
Sounds interesting, thanks for the recommendation. I haven't flown a US-based airline accross the Atlantic since late 1990s so if I could find an itinerary with a intra-US segment served by NW DC9 I'd probably go for it... ^
Old Sep 15, 2008, 5:53 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by crux
maybe they are expecting UA and US to go under and like the idea of being the only Star alliance member left standing on domestic routes?
Along those lines, a friend mentioned that the idea of a UA/US merger or tie-up was also being discussed again. Any truth to that? Why would UA tie up w/CO if they're entertaining any thought of absorbing US?
Old Sep 15, 2008, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Gold, MR Plat
Originally Posted by pbarnette

IIRC, KL flys the same config as well...seem to remember being on one IAD-AMS a couple years ago.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by gsupstate
... a friend mentioned that the idea of a UA/US merger or tie-up was also being discussed again... Why would UA tie up w/CO if they're entertaining any thought of absorbing US?
There's nothing wrong with holding parallel negotiations. I doubt both UA and US will be around within a year or two. I think CO crossed over to STAR with the hunch that CO will eventually be the predominant or only US-based STAR member.

For me, it's fine -- my main interest is in premium-cabin Pacific awards, and ST is terrible on that front, while STAR is great.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:41 am

Are there any dates whereby flying CO will no longer land me MQM's and miles to my Delta Skymiles balance? I am considering a flight in January, 2009, but don't want to get stuck with no miles....
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:09 am

It's going to be mid-2009 at the very earliest, and probably later. I wouldn't worry about January at all.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL PM (not for long)
This is pretty bad for me, since I fly CO almost as much as I fly DL. I love their SEA -> EWR direct flight. Keeps me off the expensive SEA -> PHL on US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.