Wiki Posts
Search

SkyTeam Africa Pass

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2008, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL
Originally Posted by uva185
Yup, I just cashed in 300k miles for two Star Alliance First Class awards to JNB with a 11 day stopover in SIN.

These are our flights:
UA: DCA-ORD-LAX
SQ: LAX-(NRT)-SIN
TG: SIN-BKK-JNB
SQ: JNB-SIN-(NRT)-LAX
UA: LAX-ORD-DCA

Honestly I haven't even looked at the discount airlines yet. I had been so worried about getting availability I wasn't focusing on anything else. My trip is not until next spring so I will have plenty of time to research the best options for intra Africa travel.

Do you have any recommendations on reliable discount African airlines?
I haven't been on as many as I would like, but I've had good experiences on Kulula-especially if you get one of their British Airways operated flights.
Old May 23, 2008, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Looks like this might not be an issue after all. Delta is apparently pulling a number of their African destinations before the end of the year. These include LOS, DKR, NBO.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/online...arest-service/
Old May 24, 2008, 4:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
KLM Passport to Africa

KLM Passport to Africa

Experience Africa. Our special package includes at least two flight coupons to destinations in Africa in combination with an international ticket for a flight operated by KLM, Northwest Airlines or Kenya Airways.

So not a Skyteam thing, but a KLM pass
Old May 24, 2008, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cris L
KLM Passport to Africa

Experience Africa. Our special package includes at least two flight coupons to destinations in Africa in combination with an international ticket for a flight operated by KLM, Northwest Airlines or Kenya Airways.

So not a Skyteam thing, but a KLM pass

Wow Cris, nice find!
Old May 24, 2008, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Looks like this might not be an issue after all. Delta is apparently pulling a number of their African destinations before the end of the year. These include LOS, DKR, NBO.

Thats disappointing, raises a number of questions on how much business travel subsidizes the rest of our flights.
Old May 25, 2008, 9:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by 2stepsbehind
Wow Cris, nice find!
The KLM Africa pass has been around for YEARS - I can't even remember how many years ! I was just stunned to see that nobody else knew about it !
Old May 25, 2008, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cris L
The KLM Africa pass has been around for YEARS - I can't even remember how many years ! I was just stunned to see that nobody else knew about it !
Really? Well I'm rather new to the flyertalk world-- treat me kindly I wish they gave some idea of the prices/options.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sbm12

I have not heard of any of these destinations being pulled except for NBO.

Does this pass work with SkyTeam award tickets?
Old Jul 20, 2008, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does this pass work with SkyTeam award tickets?
It should. The pass doesn't depend on a revenue ticket, just a SkyTeam ticket entering into the region.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Great! How does this work then...SkyTeam has no info about a pass on their web site...do I just buy it directly from Kenya Airways if that is the primary operating carrier? From other passes, it should be around $100 per ticket right? or does that depend on length of travel? Is there an advantage to purchasing it directly from DL (the airline that tickets my overwater flights?)
Old Jul 21, 2008, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Great! How does this work then...SkyTeam has no info about a pass on their web site...do I just buy it directly from Kenya Airways if that is the primary operating carrier? From other passes, it should be around $100 per ticket right? or does that depend on length of travel? Is there an advantage to purchasing it directly from DL (the airline that tickets my overwater flights?)
Perhaps I misled you before and if so I apologize, but I believe there is some misunderstanding about the pass. The pass that is available is the KLM AfricaPass, not a SkyTeam one. As noted further up the thread, there isn't a true SkyTeam option. So as long as you are flying in on a KLM/NW/KQ flight you should be able to add it on. And I'm not sure where you got the $100/ticket number; the passes are usually horribly expensive.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

oh well! Ill be on DL so I guess it wont work. Thanks anyway though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.