Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Best Business/First Class SFO to Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2008, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La

I am looking to book an award ticket in Business or First class from SFO to IST. I think that there are three one-stop options: AF through CDG, KL through AMS, or DL through JFK. Which is best? My number one priority is seat comfort -- whether it lies flat, etc.

With more than one stop, options increase to DL through SLC/CVG/ATL (maybe something better than a 767 over the Atlantic?) or CO through IAH/EWR, then through another hub in Europe. Maybe also other airlines (AZ, OK, SU) that don't warrant consideration.

Also, AF has three classes, and DL and KL only two, right? I have been underwhelmed by AF's (and, of course, DL's) business class, so I would be interested in AF first if it's much better, as well as in a comparison to KL.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 9:47 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Af P > Af J > Co J > Nw J > Dl J > Kl J
Old Jan 12, 2008, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't think that AF F is hugely better than AF J. Better, but not a TON better.

If you fly DL or CO you're flying domestic F on the USA segment, and that is ~5-7 hours of the travel time, so keep that in mind. Similarly, the CDG/AMS-IST flight is going to be in intra-Europe J, which is domestic Y+, though that is shorter than the SFO-JFK flight would be.

Finally, depending on which carrier you've banked miles on, you likely won't be able to book into AF F; only FlyingBlue points can do that.

S.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 3:44 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
I don't think that AF F is hugely better than AF J. Better, but not a TON better.

If you fly DL or CO you're flying domestic F on the USA segment, and that is ~5-7 hours of the travel time, so keep that in mind. Similarly, the CDG/AMS-IST flight is going to be in intra-Europe J, which is domestic Y+, though that is shorter than the SFO-JFK flight would be.

Finally, depending on which carrier you've banked miles on, you likely won't be able to book into AF F; only FlyingBlue points can do that.

S.
How does AF short-haul J companre to KL short-haul J? I know KL is towards the bottom of the spectrum in Europe, but have heard better reports about AF. That said, connecting at CDG may be something to be avoided.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 4:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by chalf
How does AF short-haul J companre to KL short-haul J? I know KL is towards the bottom of the spectrum in Europe, but have heard better reports about AF. That said, connecting at CDG may be something to be avoided.
I have the same question for AF and KL Y as well as J.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 11:53 pm

CO would be the best product, if they actually flew to IST. Id go DL through ATL or JFK. youll get doestic FC seats and service with AVOD at your seat.

youll then get a 767 to IST. DL's seats are narrow, but fine unless you are pretty large. also with AVOD (most AC). you also get the convenience of connecting in the US rather than the EU. DL's will give you Crown room access in SFO and access to their Bizelite lounge in ATL/JFK.

ive heard connections in CDG are disaterous. Ive heard AMS is great but KL isnt that great. middle seats in their biz class (AF too).
Old Mar 4, 2008, 9:15 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by dlen111
CO would be the best product, if they actually flew to IST. Id go DL through ATL or JFK. youll get doestic FC seats and service with AVOD at your seat.

youll then get a 767 to IST. DL's seats are narrow, but fine unless you are pretty large. also with AVOD (most AC). you also get the convenience of connecting in the US rather than the EU. DL's will give you Crown room access in SFO and access to their Bizelite lounge in ATL/JFK.

ive heard connections in CDG are disaterous. Ive heard AMS is great but KL isnt that great. middle seats in their biz class (AF too).
My partner connected thru CDG a couple wks ago, and said it was much better than the last time (a couple yrs ago). He said you really do have to pay attention to signage, as walking routes between terminals are not intuitive, but he said it looked like they had tried to improve the transit experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.