Who would've thought....Uzbekistan on track to be Skyteam Associate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who would've thought....Uzbekistan on track to be Skyteam Associate

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2008, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
They seem to be focused on customer service. Why, they even have a great survey on their website. It includes questions such as:

13. Are you satisfied with a quality and variety of foodstuff?

Excuse me, miss, could have some more of those tasty foodstuffs?

17. Did you fell comfortable during the fight?

Why yes, I landed right on my tashkent, which absorbed the fall.

16. Did you like the servicing of our air hostess?

No comment
Old Mar 4, 2008, 3:36 am

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
They seem to be focused on customer service. Why, they even have a great survey on their website. It includes questions such as:

No comment
^
Old Mar 5, 2008, 12:36 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP

No comment

Oh I needed that laugh this morning! LOl! Thank you for this!
Old Mar 6, 2008, 12:51 pm

Programs: Many, most dormant...
Thumbs up

No comment
SUPER!

(and did you note the fight?)
Old Mar 19, 2008, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
I just flew Air Uzbekistan in February.

It's no longer a mad dash for a seat, you get assigned seats now.

They no longer allow smoking or cell phone use on flights.

The planes are brand-spankin'-new Airbuses, with video safety and arrival information in English, Russian and Uzbek (in that order).

Deplaning, I smirked at the choice of music: Summertime and the Livin' is Easy, instrumental version.

Much better than flying Tajik Air. I'd put them at slightly below Air Astana, and slightly above Air Turkmenistan.

As civilized as it's become (except for Tajik Air), one misses the crazy days of tons of booze, smoking, and belligerently drunk Soviet men on Aeroflot.... On occasion, that is.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by big V
I just flew Air Uzbekistan in February.

It's no longer a mad dash for a seat, you get assigned seats now.

They no longer allow smoking or cell phone use on flights.

The planes are brand-spankin'-new Airbuses, with video safety and arrival information in English, Russian and Uzbek (in that order).

Deplaning, I smirked at the choice of music: Summertime and the Livin' is Easy, instrumental version.

Much better than flying Tajik Air. I'd put them at slightly below Air Astana, and slightly above Air Turkmenistan.

As civilized as it's become (except for Tajik Air), one misses the crazy days of tons of booze, smoking, and belligerently drunk Soviet men on Aeroflot.... On occasion, that is.
Thanks for the update. I would also rate them just below A Astana.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 4:06 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by seoulmanjr
Why would SkyTeam want an airline in the alliance where most travellers would need a transit visa just to change flights at their main hub?

Requirements for a Uzbek Transit Visa for US Citizens:

- Completed Visa Application form
- Passport (not a photocopy)
- One (1) color passport photo
- Visa and air-ticket to the country of destination
- Visa Fee - US $25.00 (three months, double entry, up to 72 hours stay for each entry)

Requirements for other folks:

http://www.uzbekistan.org/consular/visa/fee/

Talk about a PITA...

peace,
~Ben~
Then way are CO, DL, NW in Skyteam? The US requires a transit visa for citizens of a majority of the countries (Western Europe, Japan, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, etc make up maybe only about 15% of the world).
Old Sep 13, 2008, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
http://www.uzairways.com/news.aspx?c...99&pid=0&cls=1

The first stage of negotiations between Uzbekistan Airways and SkyTeam Airline Alliance was held in Tashkent. The main purpose of the meeting is the entry of Uzbekistan Airways into the global airline alliance.
N830MH likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 6:49 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by manneca
Uzbek air had some decent planes.
They have some decent planes. I flew their 767 TAS-RIX today and it was just fine. I have also tried HY on the FRU-TAS route and service wide they are good enough IMO.

Getting into and out of Uzbek is horrible. We crossed the border three times and it took a minimum of 90 minutes each time.
It took me a long time to get in but what took time was that there were so many people before me. Unfortunately a flight from Istanbul had arrived just before and the passengers created lots and lots of problems for themselves. If you have 10 suitcases with you it may be a good idea to declare at least some things...

I breezed through in less than 10 seconds once I actually reached the customs officer so the fault for lines clearly lay at the other passengers feet.

Leaving the country was very easy too although I was questioned two additional times apart from the normal one. In all it took about five minutes to pass customs and migration.

Actually, Uzbekistan is a great place to visit. It has great Islamic architecture.
Just avoid the Metro. Foreigners aren't popular there and the police will routinely stop you.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 11:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
They have some decent planes. I flew their 767 TAS-RIX today and it was just fine. I have also tried HY on the FRU-TAS route and service wide they are good enough IMO.

It took me a long time to get in but what took time was that there were so many people before me. Unfortunately a flight from Istanbul had arrived just before and the passengers created lots and lots of problems for themselves. If you have 10 suitcases with you it may be a good idea to declare at least some things...

I breezed through in less than 10 seconds once I actually reached the customs officer so the fault for lines clearly lay at the other passengers feet.

Leaving the country was very easy too although I was questioned two additional times apart from the normal one. In all it took about five minutes to pass customs and migration.

Just avoid the Metro. Foreigners aren't popular there and the police will routinely stop you.
Thanks for the update. I would add that the police will stop you just about anywhere in Uzbekistan.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by GuyverII
Thanks for the update. I would add that the police will stop you just about anywhere in Uzbekistan.
Uzbekistan is one of the world's great police states (not quite at the level of North Korea or Cuba, I suppose -- I wonder how it compares to Turkmenistan these days).

However, it's also supposedly a great place to visit -- especially Samarkand and other Silk Road sites. I would love to go there. I always I assumed that it would be reasonably easy to get to via IST on TK, but this would add an even more-fun option.

Can any American who has obtained a visa recently report on the process? In the past the U.S. State Department has conveyed pretty onerous requirements, but I notice today that their site lists basically the same requirements as the previous poster here.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mecabq
Uzbekistan is one of the world's great police states (not quite at the level of North Korea or Cuba, I suppose -- I wonder how it compares to Turkmenistan these days).
It is similar to Turkmenistan today.

Originally Posted by mecabq
However, it's also supposedly a great place to visit -- especially Samarkand and other Silk Road sites. I would love to go there. I always I assumed that it would be reasonably easy to get to via IST on TK, but this would add an even more-fun option.
Samarkhand, Bukhara, Khiva. Those are just absolutely amazing to visit (except in the summer--blazing HOT).
Old Jan 20, 2024, 10:56 am

Resurrecting this ancient tread ... is Tashkent (and Samatkand) still the police state described above? Not amenable to independent explorers and of course to someone who can only manage Nyet in Russian?
Old Feb 18, 2024, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by rankourabu
http://www.uzairways.com/news.aspx?c...99&pid=0&cls=1

The first stage of negotiations between Uzbekistan Airways and SkyTeam Airline Alliance was held in Tashkent. The main purpose of the meeting is the entry of Uzbekistan Airways into the global airline alliance.
I knew they never joined Skyteam associate yet. Did not have an approved. Took em too long! I doubt Skyteam will ever reconsider it again.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 3:26 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by puchong
Resurrecting this ancient tread ... is Tashkent (and Samatkand) still the police state described above? Not amenable to independent explorers and of course to someone who can only manage Nyet in Russian?
A bit late I know, but Tashkent and Uzbekistan are perfectly good places to visit. Even 20 years ago there were few problems for visitors, though visas and lack of ATM's that would take foreign cards were a problem. It is much easier now with many having visa free entry and ATM's everywhere. There were some positives to being a police state (at least for visitors). Crime was always very low with plenty of police on the streets. OTOH, if you are a citizen then excessive bureaucracy and a big gap between those that have and those that do not is a problem. More recently, English is becoming more widely spoken. Menus in restaurants often have English versions.

As for Uzbekistan Airways, they are generally reliable (always have been in my experience) and you can at least get a decent and filling meal even in Y. Not something you can say for many European airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.