Mergers: ST Losses Dots On The Map

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mergers: ST Losses Dots On The Map

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2008, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by MACH81
It's IAH-DME-SIN not SVO.
My bad. Thanks for the correction.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 4:20 am

Programs: DL Gold
Apologies for the slight diversion, but I have a practical question with regards to the merger speculation.

Supposing the DL/NW merger happens and that a UA/CO merger ensues (considerable "if"s, I realize) do you consider it likely that Continental would be out of SkyTeam before the end of June? It seems unlikely to me given a window of several months for DOJ to look at the cases etc. But I ask because my partner and I are planning a trip this summer (late May to mid June) and the CO ticket is the least expensive and allows an extra 1,200 MQM accrual compared to Delta through ATL or Northwest through DTW. Being an airline fan, I'm naturally drawn to the prospect of more qualifying miles for fewer dollars! On the flip side, I'm risk-averse and don't want to be out the $$ with no SkyMiles accrual at all.

Your comments/suggestions are appreciated
Old Feb 27, 2008, 5:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FlyerTalk!!

At this point I don't think that any mergers are going to be complete by June, but I also would look at this time in the lifecycle of the airlines as a situation where you cannot base any decision on long-term expectations. Do what makes sense in the now and hope that it works out best in the long term. It is all a bit of a gamble, but to pretend that there is a way for anyone to know otherwise is a bit foolish on our part.

In your case I'd save the money and hope the flights count for your MQM quest. The real money is worth more than the miles are anyways.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 9:09 am

Programs: DL Gold
Thanks for the quick response. You confirmed my hunch: it seems unlikely that any party will have his ducks in a row along with government approval before the end of June!

I'm looking forward to flying on my first CO T7

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.