SkyTeam to Europe--- All the Worst Choices

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyTeam to Europe--- All the Worst Choices

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by EWR-6785
  • Continental Hub at Newark
  • Delta Hub at JFK
  • Northwest During the Last 10 Days of the Month
Last year's list today, but that's par for Brancatelli.

From a couple posts I've read in the last ~24 hours, we might need to give CDG another chance sometime.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:12 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Out of the (major) SkyTeam hubs in Europe, IMHO:

- AMS is the most straight-forward (one single terminal) and has some pretty nice lounges (esp. the re-done Schengen lounge). Security can be a bit of an issue, though, as can queues at boarding. But those are minor points. It's a great airport, good (but expensive) shooping, good food options, aesthetically pleasing etc etc.

- CDG is NOT such a dump! OK, if you have to connect BETWEEN terminals (of which there are plenty, unfortunately) then it might not be as straight-forward as AMS but still it is not that bad, IMHO. There are nice AF lounges and (at least if you're connecting AF-AF, I have seen this many times) they do take care of pax on short connections (on most occassions when I come off a European flight there are agents at the aircraft door with signs that say "MIAMI", or "RIO DE JANEIRO" or "TOKYO-NARITA" etc.

- MXP, well, the design of it is rather complicated but there are signs to the gates and it's not such a bad place. Though it does have one of the worst rates of delays in Europe. Of course, you're flying AZ which is generally simply a "nothing special" airline, until things go wrong in which case it is an "OMG WHERE IS LUFTHANSA" situation

- PRG is OK. It's an airport which should have been small and easy (à la VIE) but they have built it in such a way that it's complicated. Plus, the last time I was there I found almost no signage for the (decent to nice) lounges (which are on a different floor through an unmarked corridor, depending on where you come from). But you should find your gate without much trouble.

Nobody here mentioned FCO which is more or less like MXP.

Ah yes, and there is, of course, always SVO
Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:31 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Would have to pretty much agree with nomad1974.

AMS is easy. Security lines and boarding process not the best, but not terrible. Fairly consistant product Non-Schengen Lounge remodeling going on now, but should be done by next summer. Will go all non-smoking 01.01.08

CDG is improving. Most construction (and re-construction ) should be done by next summer. I connected there (schengen to non-schengen, i.e. terminal change) every week for six months, twice a week. Connection of 1hr to 2.5hr. Only misconnected once.

PRG would get my vote since it is small, nice enough (great uh scenery) and no hassle. Less of everything as opposed to AMS or CDG, but like AMS, a consistent product. They will be a Schengen country as of 01.01.08 which might even increase their appeal.

MXP. Hmmm. Do you like JFK, then you will like MXP Delays, delays, delays. I would leave a minimum of 3.5hrs to connect through here. If AMS/PRG are above middle of the road, then MXP is below. Still a bottom third airport and I avoid whenever possible.

SVO For next summer the new terminal should be finished, so I will wait til it opens.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 4:54 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Interesting how opionions can vary on this issue. Here in Europe the hack order is fairly set among travellers. Worst by far for connections/delays/Baggage problems: LHR, closely followed by CDG. CDG has another problem apart from the lousy layout: the AF ground staff, hated by most Skyteam flyers.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 5:29 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by BER Flyer
Interesting how opionions can vary on this issue. Here in Europe the hack order is fairly set among travellers. Worst by far for connections/delays/Baggage problems: LHR, closely followed by CDG. CDG has another problem apart from the lousy layout: the AF ground staff, hated by most Skyteam flyers.
My turn to say interesting how opinions can vary on the AF ground staff at CDG. I fine them - generally - friendly, helpful and competent. Maybe it's a different attitude that's required from what is used in the US (I am making a big assumption here, that most people who post on this board and have claimed to "hate" AF staff are American). Call it a cultural thing. I find, generally, that I have much better understanding with European staff than American. Nothing wrong either way, though, of course, in the travel industry staff should be used to dealing with people of all nationalities - and should deliver a consistent level of service to all.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 7:35 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by brazzleman
So I just booked the outbound portion in business for a trip next fall, SLC-JFK (DL) -MXP-IST (AZ). So this post has me alittle worried.

How bad is it changing from DL to AZ at JFK? Is MXP really that bad (we've got over 3 hrs to change planes)? The posts I've read re: AZ makes me think I shouldn't expect to much business.

I was pleasantly surprised to find Skysaver availability, but now wonder. Any warnings/reassurances would be appreciated.
All you should expect from AZ is a more comfy seat than coach and your food not being served in a tray. Take earplugs as they boom out bi-lingual turbulence announcements throughout the night if even a shimmy occurs. In-flight service the two times I've flown 'em long-haul and handful of short-hauls has been haughty but got the job done.

As for JoeB, he tends to be a bit more harshly critical than I would be... IMO take his message and dial it back a third and you achieve reality.

Changing at JFK is no longer the horror it used to be at least as far as getting from terminal to terminal. The AirTrain makes it much easier. Just look at the signs and take the "Airport Terminal" train which sometimes actually goes the direction it's supposed to and will get you from T2/3 to T1 in very short order. Otherwise even going all the way around only takes about 8-12 minutes.

The problems are the terminals themselves and JFK security. Alitalia flies out of T1. If you transit JFK at least once a year, IMO go get yourself enrolled in CLEAR posthaste... it helps a *lot* in getting through security. I signed up my last time through after seeing people sail through but haven't got the card yet.

JFK is on my worst list at present. Security is awful, and the premium lanes are half the time much slower than coach thanks to JFK ground-staff running every wheelchair bound pax and their extended family, friends and people they met at the airport and liked through ahead of those waiting in line. Add to that the multiple crews shoving through and... it just stinks. Then you have the interminable JFK afternoon/evening delays...

At least T4 is not half bad airside compared to T3. I haven't done T1 in years so can't speak to it.

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Only if you can avoid Comair and their dreaded bus terminal.
Better CVG and the bus than JFK and the AirTrain.

Originally Posted by brazzleman
What about Prague? Any experience connecting there?
The airport IMO is just fine. I never checked bags connecting through but it's a small facility, not much in the way of amenities but quite comfortable. Didn't have lounge access while there so can't speak to that.

Last edited by kanebear; Nov 14, 2007 at 7:41 am
Old Nov 14, 2007, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kanebear
Better CVG and the bus than JFK and the AirTrain.
The problem with CVG isn't the bus TO the terminal, it's the bus station-like chaos that you are greeted with once you arrive there.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 8:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
1. For what it offers (i.e., nonstop air access to most every major city in Western Europe, and one-stop access to everywhere else), EWR is an excellent hub. The delays are problematic, but even that is mitigated somewhat by the fact that the airport is compact (i.e., you can go between any two gates in any two terminals in no more than 15 minutes' time).

2. NWA has basically fixed its staffing problems for the time being.

3. No question Malpensa is a bad thought -- it's all in the name. That said, having spent several hours there on my $39 MR to Larnaca, I found it decent enough provided one allows at least 90 minutes connection time.

4. AMS is far and away the best major connecting hub in Western Europe (ZRH, while awesome, is simply too small in scope to even be placed into competition with the likes of AMS/LHR/CDG/FRA for most trips). Excellent signage, large but simple design concept, and numerous options to pass the time.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:09 am

Of the SkyTeam TATL hubs in the U.S., CVG is the best hands down. It's too bad so few European destinations are offered from there.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
AMS is nice. To connect, unless you enter the EU, one does not re-clear any security or immigration. It really couldn't be any more straightforward than that.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 1:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by civicmon
AMS is nice. To connect, unless you enter the EU, one does not re-clear any security or immigration. It really couldn't be any more straightforward than that.
Actually, every time I have connected through AMS there has been gate security (screening of hand baggage and WTMD). I personally think AMS is both simple (you walk everywhere) and frustrating in that the walks can be long (up to 15 minutes from the end of one pier to the end of another). And I always get the long walks.

CDG will have almost all their re-construction done by next summer and could be a very pleasant place to connect. AF will turn over 2A and 2B to either Star or 1World (can't remember which) and move their ops (along with their SkyTeam partners) to 2CDEF.

I like Prague--it's small and simple and (IMHO) the lounges are nice and easy to find. I just wouldn't like to fly OK transatlantic since their biz is sub-standard on the North America to Prague routes but intra Europe they're fine.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL PM/CRC, UA*G, HH Diamond, AFirst
Go Virgin Premium Eco to UK- after that amazing trip, it won't matter how you connect across the channel! :-::-::-::-::-:
Old Nov 14, 2007, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by nomad1974
- MXP, well, the design of it is rather complicated but there are signs to the gates and it's not such a bad place.

Nobody here mentioned FCO which is more or less like MXP.
MXP is pretty straight forward going from A to B or vice versa. Exit the gate area into the main hall, walk straight down through customs, and go to your next gate. Quite easy. FCO is very different from MXP. Much more convoluted, especially with domestic landing at the satellite terminal, where you take the train and then a long winding walk with lots of branches to get to the int'l gates.

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
3. No question Malpensa is a bad thought -- it's all in the name. That said, having spent several hours there on my $39 MR to Larnaca, I found it decent enough provided one allows at least 90 minutes connection time.
Originally Posted by bankops
MXP. Hmmm. Do you like JFK, then you will like MXP Delays, delays, delays. I would leave a minimum of 3.5hrs to connect through here.
Huh? My inbounds have often been sufficiently late to give me <40 minute connects, with no problems. Customs can get long lines, but it's still never taken me more than 12 to 15 minutes to clear. If MXP is your point of departure and you aren't able to use elite check-in, the check-in procedure can take a very long time. Security gets long messy lines, but still moves quickly. Last month (one of my rare departures through MXP instead of connecting there) it took me 50 minutes from being dropped off by a taxi until I was sitting in the lounge. About half of that was the security line.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:13 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
JFK/EWR certainly have their problems, but on the east coast is there really a better solution considering how many international passengers have New York as their final destination??
Old Nov 14, 2007, 7:53 pm

CDG is okay if you don't have to speak to anyone. At the point you need to ask someone for something it becomes the worst airport in the EU.

MXP is a fine airport and the comments that AMS and FRA are the best are correct.

Airports are to be endured not enjoyed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.