Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Master thread to document China Southern's entry (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Master thread to document China Southern's entry (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2007, 7:34 am

Programs: FB,BD,LH,EK,PC,HH,MR
Great. Will they be a full member or just associate?[/QUOTE]

Just downloaded the updated skyteam time table and I can see CZ is a full ST member :-)
Old Nov 3, 2007, 9:19 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
This is cool! I have just booked a CZ flight literally two minutes before coming to find this news on Flyertalk!

I'll be flying on Holidays Nov. 18th from Guilin to Kunming with Mrs JSFR and friend (3 days after the joining date )

What do people think are my chances of getting Elite Plus benefits? Will they have heard of Skyteam in Guilin???
Old Nov 3, 2007, 1:33 pm

Programs: NWA Plat
Originally Posted by jsfr
This is cool! I have just booked a CZ flight literally two minutes before coming to find this news on Flyertalk!

I'll be flying on Holidays Nov. 18th from Guilin to Kunming with Mrs JSFR and friend (3 days after the joining date )

What do people think are my chances of getting Elite Plus benefits? Will they have heard of Skyteam in Guilin???
Per flight attendant training program, they should able to recognize elite plus on board and call you MR. JSFR. But FA are complaining about having difficulties to read foreign last names in English.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 7:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue life Platinum , *A Gold ,PC Plat. IC Royal Ambassador , SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by apoivre
Aeroflot says CZ will become member of SkyTeam tomorrow, on November, 1:
The earning tables have already been loaded.

Flying Blue hasn't updated their earning tables yet

DL Skymiles - ditto

www.skyteam.com - still nada

Anyone else?
I think if they would be a full ST member one could collect on FF Aeroflot qualifying miles, this seems not to be the case , they get only "bonus" miles..so...and on CZ website there is nothing said about.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JC25
I think if they would be a full ST member one could collect on FF Aeroflot qualifying miles, this seems not to be the case , they get only "bonus" miles..so...and on CZ website there is nothing said about.
I believe that the CZ flights are SU EQM-eligible. The Aeroflot Bonus webpage says:
Originally Posted by website
Miles based on the flown distance in miles and the booking class are the Aeroflot Bonus Qualifying Miles.
To me, this implies that you will receive EQMs based on fare paid and CoS.

There are also bonuses credited based on your SU status, but those are only RDMs, not EQMs.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:52 am

Programs: NWA Plat
CZ finalized joining date: Nov 15

China Southern today sents out a notice to all its employee stating that the joining date is on Nov 15th in Beijing. The news should be out very soon.

Congratulations, China Southern! Welcome all Flytalker on board China Southern!
Old Nov 6, 2007, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Just my 2 cents; but based on ground staff at HKG for CZ, they are not SkyTeam ready. I have three more flights this week so hopefully I will change my mind. I usually fly them a few times a year and today was my worst experience by far.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 6:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG
My first CZ flight this morning

We just flew CZ for the first time ever on a domestic flight PEK-SHE this morning. Imagine our surprise when reading the inflight magazine that as of 15 Nov they are part of skyteam (we had been trying to figure out where to put our mileage credit).

Notes on experience:

It seems as if ex-China flights only come up as full fare on the normal booking channels. If you want a discounted fare you must go through a Chinese travel agent or online booking site such as eLong.com. Bookings are not quick and easy and usually involve a phone call or some emailing though they do speak English.

We arrived at PEK terminal one about 3 hours before flight. It seems as if CZ occupies this entire terminal. There was no line at checkin. I am very tall and asked about an exit row at checkin and they said it was against regulation. Perhaps because I don't speak Chinese? I was given bulkhead instead on the A321 which was good enough for the one hour flight. I did not have my DL FF# attached to my res so no way to know if they are picking up status yet. I will try on the return flight on Thursday.

Everything else went smoothly. Most of the FAs seemed to speak basic English. Economy class service was beverage and peanuts on this 8:30 am flight.

Now I want to know if I will receive full mileage credit with DL for this discounted fare class on flights that occurred before 15NOV.

When can we book award seats?

This is a new option for those of us who always whine about ways to get to Australia on Skyteam, though still out of the way from N. America.

Are transit visas required for Guangzhou?
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Originally Posted by spgaston
It seems as if ex-China flights only come up as full fare on the normal booking channels. If you want a discounted fare you must go through a Chinese travel agent or online booking site such as eLong.com.
Are you talking about international flights? When it comes to domestic flights, only full Y is available outside of China. See this thread for way more info

Are transit visas required for Guangzhou?
I've never been to CAN but I believe it is safe to guess it's set up the same way other big Chinese airports are - that is, there's no transit zone and you have to enter China even when changing between flights. Check with Timatic whether you need a visa for this or not. Most (?) nationalities get 24 hours without a visa in this situation. So do you if you're American:

National U.S.A. (US)
Transit CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.) (CN)

CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.) (CN)

Visa not required provided:
- continuing to a third country by same/first connecting aircraft within 24 hours; and
- holding confirmed ticket and documents required for onward journey.
Leaving the airport transit area is allowed.
Overnight facilities are available outside the airport.

However, and only applicable if arriving at and departing from: Shanghai Hongqiao or Pu Dong airports: visa not required provided continuing to a third country within 48 hours and holding confirmed onward ticket and all documents required for next destination.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:59 am

Are you talking about international flights? When it comes to domestic flights, only full Y is available outside of China. See this thread for way more info
My experience booking an ex-China int'l flight (PEK-ICN) was the same. Only full fare available on ITA search, Orbitz, etc. Chinese travel agent gave me 60% off appx.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Now I want to know if I will receive full mileage credit with DL for this discounted fare class on flights that occurred before 15NOV.
Not likely. I wouldn't count on it happening for you. I've never seen a partnership that offers retroactive credit.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
CAN does have a transfer area in the international terminal area so if you are within the guidelines, you'll be fine without a visa.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Delta is in. Just got this (bolding is mine):

Hello Mr. apoivre

We're looking toward the Far East and so should you.

Enjoy expanded mileage-earning and redemption opportunities on China Southern Airlines.

Yep, it's great news. You are now able to:

Earn base miles, class-of-service bonuses, elite tier bonuses and elite qualification miles on eligible China Southern fares and flights including various discounted economy fares
Redeem miles on all worldwide China Southern-coded and operated flights, including service to and from Shanghai (where we will begin service in March 2008*) and Beijing
Plus, China Southern—which will join the SkyTeam® alliance later this year and provide you with a full range of SkyTeam benefits—offers additional non-stop service to China from the U.S., and connecting service to many exciting Chinese and Asian destinations.

Make your China Southern reservation today, provide your SkyMiles number and then check out the Yangtze River, Tiananmen Square, The Great Wall, The Forbidden City and the 2008 Olympic Games.

And don't forget to visit delta.com for all your travel needs, bla bla bla
Off to check whether they've updated their ridiculous earning tables yet.

EDITED TO ADD: No, they haven't

Last edited by apoivre; Nov 6, 2007 at 11:47 am
Old Nov 6, 2007, 6:40 pm

Delta is in. Just got this (bolding is mine):

Off to check whether they've updated their ridiculous earning tables yet.

EDITED TO ADD: No, they haven't
They didn't edit the regular air partner table but they did edit the somewhat hidden MQM earning table to reflect earnings:

https://www.delta.com/skymiles/about...#chinasouthern
Old Nov 7, 2007, 4:12 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Online booking engine for China domestic flights

It seems as if ex-China flights only come up as full fare on the normal booking channels. If you want a discounted fare you must go through a Chinese travel agent or online booking site such as eLong.com.
Try this one - http://english.yoee.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.